It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quebec prepares to sue tobacco companies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Quebec prepares to sue tobacco companies

www.montrealgazette.com

QUEBEC – A bill that would allow the province to sue tobacco companies to recover health-care costs related to diseases caused by smoking is to be introduced in the National Assembly today.

A Quebec health department study estimates the direct and indirect costs of smoking in the province at $4 billion a year.

According to a 2006 study, deaths caused by tobacco in the province were six times as high as the total number of deaths related to alcohol, traffic accidents, suicides and murders
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
ya ya, smokers here at ATS will disagree lol

Look at americans for example, they will soon be looted with the attempt at universal healthcare.

Universal Healthcare in this economy, instead of:
1) Attacking the tobacco industry
2) Attacking the pharmaceutical industry
3) Help curb alcoholism
4) Etc.....

Ya let's focus on the symptoms and NEVER on the root of the issue.

I'm glad Quebec is taking this step and I'm a smoker, just not a regular one.

Yes yes I know you want your rat poison
But this is still a good step it's just a shame that it took so damn long.

www.montrealgazette.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Thank goodness... eventually cigarettes will be too expensive a business to run. Then the only one's smoking with people who raise their own tobacco or friends of those.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
And hopefully smokers will sue the government for ALLOWING addictive, killer substances to be included in cigarettes.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Yes, let's bring back the good ol' days of prohibition, except let's do it with cigarettes this time instead of booze, it will work out waaaaaay better!

TA

Edit: What's next? a bill to allow them to sue auto manufacturers for all those poor people injured by automobiles?

[edit on 14-5-2009 by TheAssociate]

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheAssociate
Edit: What's next? a bill to allow them to sue auto manufacturers for all those poor people injured by automobiles?

[edit on 14-5-2009 by TheAssociate]

That's completley different than smoking something with over 200 different poisons in it

People who get hit by cars is not the same as people who smoke cigarettes lol

that's a very poor analogy, very very poor!!!

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Wasn't an analogy, it was an illustration of a slippery slope. Once they bleed the tobacco companies dry, who's going to be next on the chopping block? Someone's got to pay for the coverage, they obviously can't do it themselves through taxation alone or this legislation wouldn't be considered.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Gotta hand it to the good ole' province of Quebec. 6 million french speaking Canadians can be a tough bunch when they want to be.

Recently, Quebec shocked CIL by banning the sale of most of their pesticides and poisons from that province, permanently. And the dirty industrial giant had the audacity to sue Quebec for the right to sell their immoral, earth poisoning shyte. That's the same thing as suing an un-cooperative parent for the right to vaccinate their child.

CIL is about as dirty and immoral as any other big pharma corporation. They both manufacture and sell the same products. One sells their product as pesticide and the other sells it as a vaccine. CIL makes pesticides, and when big pharma runs out of vaccines, they just phone up CIL and borrow a few tankers of pesticide.

I think CIL is in for a nasty awakening if they try to push Quebec around. I've met a lot of french Canadians and as individual people, they're great folks... but at the same time, they're as tough as they come. I mean, physically you don't want to mess with them as a rule. And as a culture, they're formidable. They've always had the attitude that they are a separate culture within Canada and as such, they're a very proud people. They don't like the idea of the federal government pushing them around and as a provincial government, they're not afraid to tangle with anybody. But one one one, you'll never find a more wonderful people... always ready with a warm meal for a stranger... type of people.

Just for entertainment purposes, I hope CIL pushes all the wrong buttons. It should be fun to watch the big shots at CIL get their hides ripped right off. And don't forget CIL, you mess with Quebec and you might have to deal with Georges St. Pierre. And you don't wanna go there.

a.espncdn.com...

[edit on 14-5-2009 by Albertarocks]

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Albertarocks

I agree

The Quebecois remind me very much of Americans from the 1970s - this tax isn't going through, and the guy who proposed it; he isn't getting re-elected....

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Good luck, our own citizens cant sue Phillip Morris, now a foreign country wants to try? good luck

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Just gotta laugh.

People will always use drugs of some kind. Other people (preyers) will always sell drugs of some kind.

States and countries are guilty of this, beacause they make money from drugs.

Rock on, world.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by QuestForFreedom
Good luck, our own citizens cant sue Phillip Morris, now a foreign country wants to try? good luck

I made a complete error here. My apologies. Edited to delete it.

[edit on 15-5-2009 by Albertarocks]

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Albertarocks
I've met a lot of french Canadians and as individual people, they're great folks... but at the same time, they're as tough as they come. I mean, physically you don't want to mess with them as a rule. And as a culture, they're formidable.

Don't want to derail the thread but I just had to respond
French Canadians are one of the worst bunch on the planet... if you would allow me to generalize.

They allowed the attempted murder on their economy with language laws, 76% of quebecers admitted to being racists, they killed alot of tourism by refusing to speak english to friendly tourists asking for directions and stuff, too many cases a while ago of sick people in emergency needing help but french doctors refusing to help english only speaking patients, and to top it off mullets are part of their culture.

Just thought i'd throw that in.

Back on topic though, I hope this passes.
It makes no sense to be against this.
It'll be like going against govt. going after big pharma.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Its kind of ironic, but that independent streak of the Quebecois often translates to beneficial outcomes for us as a bi-cultural society here in Canada.
Way to go Quebec!

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 05:40 AM
link   
If i was the tobacco companies i would suddenly stop selling tobacco in Quebec.

Then give it a week and the when smokers in Quebec run out of smokes they would be looking for the politicians to tar and feather and run then out of the province.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

Originally posted by Albertarocks
I've met a lot of french Canadians and as individual people, they're great folks... but at the same time, they're as tough as they come. I mean, physically you don't want to mess with them as a rule. And as a culture, they're formidable.

Don't want to derail the thread but I just had to respond
French Canadians are one of the worst bunch on the planet... if you would allow me to generalize.

Just thought i'd throw that in.

Back on topic though, I hope this passes.
It makes no sense to be against this.
It'll be like going against govt. going after big pharma.

Modern Academia, I only had to read about 4 words of your post and I knew you were a Canadian. I certainly respect your stance and I won't disagree with you. In the world of politics, they can make ya crazy. But the main idea I was trying to put forth, is that on a personal level, I don't think I've ever met a Quebecois I didn't like. My experience is my experience... I have nothing else to go by... and I find that they're real nice people. Having said that, on the governmental level, CIL is gonna have their hands full.

Cheers!

Edit to add this perspective. I should disclose that I've only met French Canadians on my turf... in Alberta. I can't honestly say what they're like in Quebec... I've never been there. Maybe they aren't so nice to anglophones over there?

[edit on 15-5-2009 by Albertarocks]

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Thank goodness for Quebec! I was worried maybe personal responsibility might have a chance of coming into play up north.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Atlantican
And hopefully smokers will sue the government for ALLOWING addictive, killer substances to be included in cigarettes.

That's a fine idea. The problem with it is, who are they going to sue? The court system has already decided that the common taxpaying citizen has no legal standing to sue the president. What's to stop them from making the same judgment call on Congress or any state legislature?

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
If i was the tobacco companies i would suddenly stop selling tobacco in Quebec.

Then give it a week and the when smokers in Quebec run out of smokes they would be looking for the politicians to tar and feather and run then out of the province.

You do realize that tarring and feathering scars someone for life and is obvious torture don't you? Or are you speaking figuratively?

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Really, why can't the government JUST LEAVE PEOPLE AND COMPANIES THE HELL ALONE?

I don't know much about the Canadian constitution, but the US Constitution basically specifies that the Feds should BUTT OUT of most of the stuff it currently has its fingers into.

In this country, it is not the business of the government to interfere in the legal affairs of the people, even though they do so on a regular basis.

I don't know, but I think that Federal interference and taxation regarding people's private activities is coming to a head in this country, and it ain't looking too promising for the Feds.

[edit on 16/5/2009 by RR98]

new topics

top topics

join