It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What causes insecurity?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I've been insecure for quite many times in my life. I'm sure the same is true with you. What causes it?

Is it your life situations?

Is it your relationships with your friends?

What do you feel makes you so insecure that you just can't really think about anything?

Love?

Is insecurity bad?

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Fear, self-doubt, ignorance, danger, mistrust. Many things cause insecurity. Whether or not the sense of insecurity is a problem lies entirely on the circumstances.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

Lack of self esteem caused by childhood experiences. My Dad did a job on me in that respect.

I still suffer from insecurity today. I think you carry A LOT of things from childhood your entire life.

But, I was given some great advice one day- "GET OVER IT".

That can be done several ways, and I urge you to take action. Learn to RESPECT yourself and your feelings. Count your blessings.

After all, you're an ATS'er, so you've got one up on the gen pub already!

[edit on 14/5/09 by MajesticJax]

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35
I've been insecure for quite many times in my life. I'm sure the same is true with you. What causes it?

Three words:

Low Self Esteem!

And perhaps a deep seeded disbelief in the things you outwardly profess to believe in - and stand for.

If you don't truly believe in yourself, insecurity often follows. One of my colleagues once told me that he always felt he was an 'imposter' in this world for that very fact. He seems OK now since many things have changed for the better in his life... wife & kids etc. I think he finally found his true calling and all the self doubt etc appears to have dissipated... (at face value at least).

Originally posted by Frankidealist35
Is insecurity bad?

That's a no-brainer! When you consider that all insecurities manifestations are overtly negative, one would have to say no!

IRM

[edit on 14/5/09 by InfaRedMan]

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
i feel it is nothing more than what you hold to be true. what you focus on makes you insecure. the way you perceive things to be. you are too focused on the way you will look, when you need to remember, so is every other person. rise above it. realize you are the greatest judge of yourself

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
For a remedie, I suggest autosuggestion, or a mantra or series of mantras, you repeat out loud to yourself once on awakening in the morning, and once at night before bed, and then silently throughout the day. It's possible to reprogram the mind.

I think it's due to separation, lonlineness, and a feeling of I'm not worthy, or I have nothing of value to add.

One thing to remember though - everyone in some way or another is insecure, and most people are afraid a lot of the time. In other words, if you are afraid of people, remember that they are equally afraid for the most part.

One excercise I would recommend, would be to sit knee to knee with an aquaintance, and in TOTAL SILENCE, for as long as possible (pref 20 minutes), stare into their eyes with them doing the same, but don't say anything, and take it right to the edge of total discomfort, and beyond. Then, when it's done, hug them, and don't be suprised if one or both of you start crying, but don't make that wrong either. A very very powerful excercise for getting over yourself and your fear of others. I HIGHLY recommend it!

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Your Pineal gland releases peptides which dock inside the receptor cites of your cells therefore modifying cell function which causes you to have an emotion.....

There's the scientific reasons...

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

Are they able to distinguish why some peptides cause emotions that other peptides don't? Or do the receptors manipulate uniform peptides? what controls this?
Can we answer those things?
Curiously,

edit: I've noticed that i can consciously override emotions with others after what feels like the "flexing" of something that realeases whatever function leads to my desired state. Does the pineal gland have "muscles" per se?

[edit on 14-5-2009 by heyo]

[edit on 14-5-2009 by heyo]

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   
All of it, the low self-esteem portion included, is all about having no real power of choice in your life.

When we have no control in our lives, when others in authority are ruling us, we cannot learn to be happy. This is why so many with low self esteem try anything to get some form of control in their own lives... and most fail due to upbringing, the parenting that forbade you having a say at all about anything.

And, all emotions are symptoms of our thoughts. The though creates the feeling. Watch yourself and you will see how this is true. So, the answer for that portion of the problem is to choose what you place your attention on in each and every minute.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Alot of it is tied into Modernist Unrealistic Expectations.

Like I live in the Pacific North West, a working-class sort of area but chicks expect you to be over 6' 6" tall, make over 6 figure salary and drive a Hummer and that is almost impossible to achieve in this area!!! Oh and other people besides just chicks think like that too.

top topics

join