It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

History Channel: Global Event on May 25, 2009

page: 58
<< 55  56  57    59  60  61 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Badgered1
Checked again last night and the "To Be Announced" program on THC on Dish Satellite is completely gone. No two hour time-slot anywhere that hints of anything new. Stuff about Rome, Victorians, Tudors, the Fiat factory....

Unless they are going to break in with a "Breaking News" type thing.

Funny thing was as I was searching I noticed the descriptions for most of their programs use such words as:
* Possibly
* Reported to have
* May be
* Might
* Believed to be
* Many think

etc.

Not exactly conclusive.
So the Lemur may be the missing link.
It might change the way we see the world
We possibly could be disappointed.

So for THC to say that this is something that will send shockwaves is a little unusual for them.

The BBC is about the lemur, i for some reason think the HC is about something completely different, why would the BBC share with the HC or vice versa.

This is a conspiracy site so maybe the HC is using the Lemur story as a smoke screen to hide what they are really going to be revealing.

The BBC use the word "Discovery" and the HC use the word "Event"

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   
But how does this lemur add up to being a missing link? If there is a missing link it would be between the lemur and us.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by scarface1111
But how does this lemur add up to being a missing link? If there is a missing link it would be between the lemur and us.

What did the Lemur/monkey evolve from?

This can't be the missing link because it's a new species, and if it's a new species they don't know what the lemur/monkey evolved from! WHAT!

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Haydn_17

I, like you, wish that the History Channel documentary, event, whatever was something oh so more spectacular than a fossil that may or may not be a possible relative of a missing link maybe. But most of the US press reports on the press conference have said that the History Channel will be screening a doc on the findings of the research at 9 on the 25th. The BIG event on the 25th (that is up there with JFK, Apollo and 9/11) and that is going to change EVERYTHING... is a dead lemur type thing that may or not be quite important possibly, but probably not, they're not sure, etc. etc. etc...

Is anyone else picking up my cynicism, because I'm laying it on pretty thick.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by ROBL240

It was found in the 1980's but put in a private collection

yeah it's possible some articles came out last year that scientists were beginning to use well preserved bodies of mammoths,crocodiles,sabertooths etc for cloning purposes so we could see what they looked like in the flesh and one sentence always stuck with me the reporter asked one of them

"if this works what is the future for the specimens?" the scientist replied "Perhaps something like Jurassic park where the creatures are controlled but arent large enough to break out or be a danger to the public"

be cool... also that Article has one point missing...

it mentions NOTHING about the history channel but it most likely is the same thing

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Some people seriously need to read up on their science.

This is a major big time deal because it answers one of the most profound scientific theories of our time.

The theory is we did not just appear out of thin air but instead evolved from other animals.

Ida being both a Lemur and a monkey millions of years before anything else we have in the fossil record is so far the top of the branch of where we came from. She proves that we indeed evolved from her, because we still share the same traits.

Ida is even more impressive because she has things that monkey and ape's have that we don't, and things ape's and monkey's do not have that we do.

Ida proves Darwin's theory.

Moreover, get away from this missing link mess because in all honesty if you go all the way back we are born from some particle held together by gravity.

[edit on 19-5-2009 by AllexxisF1]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by AllexxisF1

one thing to note.. theres nothing about "Ida" on CNN but it's all over BBC and Sky News...

and the religious crazies are going nuts on Sky News' comments section

isnt the Vatican supposed to be doing a press conference in recognition of Darwin this year?

news.bbc.co.uk...

To strengthen its scientific credentials, the Vatican is organising a conference next year to mark the 200th anniversary of the birth of the author of the Origin of Species, Charles Darwin

also on Sky News on a little subsection of the story about religion this was interesting...

Sky News has been under a strict embargo not to reveal details of Ida's discovery, and so has been unable to contact religious groups for reaction to the news.

i guess the UK is better at keeping secrets then

[edit on 17/05/09 by Raider of Truth]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I posted the nytimes article yesterday where the HC execs admitted this was all about the lemur. But none of you read it. And how they are learning to hype stories just like pop bands, movies i.e pop culture. This they figure is the only way to compete.

As mentioned this is a small mammal linking to monkeys, even if this were true. It is not "THE" missing link everyone so badly wants.

Monkey -> Missing link -> Man

Not

Squirrel -> Missing Link(lemur) -> Monkey

This will have 0 effect on creationists. Other than a wave of new additional attacks on religion forcing them to defend themselves. So it will not.....

Change the world forever
Change the way we view ourselves
Send shockwaves through the world
May 25 will not go down in history with the significance of the JFK assassination, moon landing etc.

This was much ado about nothing.

[edit on 19-5-2009 by PowerSlave]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I have been taught evolution all my life, so how the hell is this a big shock and a global event.

Yes i keep using the word event.

EVENT EVENT EVENT EVENT EVENT

[edit on 19-5-2009 by Haydn_17]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Actually I have read many times that it was thought the Lemur's were dropped off here by Alien's now here we go again. Maybe they hatched one and it's said thanks, NOW THAT WOULD BE SHOCKING

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by AllexxisF1

If you had taken some time to read the findings yourself you would have found that the researchers are denying that we are directly evolved from Ida, but moreover she is somewhat of a great aunt, rather than a great grandmother. Many scientists in this field have expressed dissapointment themselves not so much at the find, that I will grant you is very important in understanding our development and how we got from there to here, but more at the way it has been hyped as something that will change the whole world and the way we think of ourselves and our beginnings. Truth of the matter is, it wont. Many are worried that this non 'event' (in the eyes of the masses) will only harm future releases of scientific discoveries. I do agree with you though that most people will just say 'Oh, a fossil, great... so what.' and get on with their lives. But ultimately it is not people's lack of scientific knowledge that is to blame... it is the fault of whoever was behind this overhyped and ridiculous (though very clever) marketing campaign.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Scientists Unveil Missing Link In Evolution

Well Sky news broke their silence today.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Ocelot

I already posted and as it says they were allowed to today due to the terms of an embargo

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Yes and also this "Global Event" is, according to what I watched on this mornings "Good Morning America", going to be on their tomorrow morning show.

I guess I am still not understanding the hype in their ads if everyone else is already covering the story. Quite a bit of unnecessary sensationalism by the history channel I think....as many others have already stated.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
So THC has a countdown on there website to news that would be one week old by then?

I'm so excited

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Doesn't the term "missing link" refer to a missing bridge in our DNA structure to monkeys?
I think this is a total stretch to think this old Lemur is the "missing link". More half ass science twisted to validate someones idea?

[edit on 19-5-2009 by Digital_Reality]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Yeah if it is the Lemur story the History channel is hyping whats the point now it just came out?

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by beokii
So THC has a countdown on there website to news that would be one week old by then?

I'm so excited

Like some people have speculated here in this very thread. It could be that the History Channel thing is something completely different. Like you said why hype something "life changing" for the 25th when everyone has already seen it on the news a week before.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ocelot
Scientists Unveil Missing Link In Evolution

Well Sky news broke their silence today.

The story still has not linked Humans to the lemur via DNA analysis.
Just because the monkey has similar characteristics means nothing. The "Link" is in the DNA. But hey, they may revel this later and I could be wrong.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by beokii

Good point

top topics

<< 55  56  57    59  60  61 >>

join