It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vegetarians? Why?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Firstly I'll apologise as this topic has been done to death in the past here on ATS and probably always will (including this thread
)

I was reading a thread in the Survival forums were a member had requested information on how to survive in the wild solely on a vegetarian diet, this member also stated they would rather die than slaughter an animal.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a true believer of oppinion and everyone is entitled to theirs. If I agree or disagree with it thats irrelevant; an oppinion cannot be wrong. I'm not attempting to offend or mock anyone so all the Vegetarians out there please don't take what I'm about to say the wrong way.

Without going into the debate as to whether the human body functions better with the inclusion of meat in our diets or without discussing whether civilizations have always eaten meat, let me ask you a question?

Why are you a Vegetarian? Is it because you prefer the taste of Vegetables? Or for some moral, religious reasons?

As I said above I don't intend to offend anyone, but I find the idea of someone willing to die rather than kill an animal for their own survival ridiculous to be honest.

I'm not saying I would enjoy killing an animal but if I had to do it to survive then of course I would, if someone is prepared to say (and mean) that they wouldn't then they must have a pretty strong reason for this? That's what I'm trying to understand.

Maybe I'm being slightly narrow minded but I really don't see that much of a problem with killing an animal to eat; its been done for centuries and always will.

I can't grasp the concept of "ooooh I couldn't eat that poor little lamb, look how cute it is!" Okay, thats slightly stereotypical but highlights the difficulty I have in grasping the concept of Vegtarianism.

Personally its just a lamb.

I suppose the more specific question I'm posting is what reasons would a person have to not kill an animal and sacrifice their own survival?

And to any Vegetarian who says they would kill an animal if they had to, well thats great but why can't you eat animals in a none survival situation?

P.S. This isn't a dig at anyone but the amount of times I've seen "Vegetarians" wolf down a plate of chicken curry...

[edit on 14/5/09 by Death_Kron]

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 06:01 AM
link   
First, you say that you don't want to offend Vegetarians and then add that it's ridiculous that someone respects the lives of animals as the lives of human beings. ??

And your excuse that because something "has been done for centuries" then, it's ok?
is very shallow. Should we go into details of what other things have been done for centuries? and had been abolished or proved detrimental?

For the record vegetarians/vegans would survive with no problem in case it's needed. So I don't agree with the person that posted the other question either.

I wouldn't kill an animal in any situtation. BUT I wouldn't die either, because my survivial skills are pretty good without meat.

Meat doesn't add anything beneficial to your body, it's the other way around. But do your own research if interested.

And of course, I'm a vegetarian. Why?- in the first place, because I love animals. 2nd, because it's healither and 3rd because I'm consciouss about the terrible effects it has on earth:

If we eat the plants we grow instead of feeding them to animals, the world's food shortage will disappear virtually overnight. Remember that 100 acres of land will produce enough beef for 20 people but enough wheat to feed 240 people.

The world's fresh water shortage is being made worse by animal farming. And meat producers are the biggest polluters of water. It takes 2,500 gallons of water to produce one pound of meat. If the US meat industry wasn't supported by the taxpayer paying a large proportion of its water costs, then hamburger meat would cost $35 a pound.

www.giveusahome.co.uk...

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 06:04 AM
link   
I like meat - but only if I know the animal has been treated properly....

I am against factory farming

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Being a meat eater you consume roughly 600 animals in your lifetime, they may be organically maintained and given a descent life and a painless, stress free death, although the sad fact is that most of the animals you consume live a depressive sometimes tormented life and suffer a prolonged and agonising death.

I myself do want that on my conscious.

Here watch this and see if you feel better for eating animals

Google Video Link

Direct link on spitefulgod.net

Plus if you are religious one day you might get to the pearly gates and you entry criteria maybe the amount of suffering you have directly or indirectly caused others.... then you're screwed.

[edit on 14/5/2009 by spitefulgod]

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 06:34 AM
link   
I'm not vegetarian yet, but about to do the full switch to it.

Personally, I would like to exclude meat from my diet because I don't believe in the fact that animals are bred to be killed, just so humans can have a nice steak which we don't even need. There are plenty of alternatives to meat that provide protein and all the other nutrients we need. I don't agree with the way some slaughter houses treat animals inhumanely and torture them.

I don't try to convince meat eaters why I'd like to be vegetarian, because I'm a sensitive guy and I understand that these animals have no say in what they're bred for... if only they could speak. It's just a personal thing for me, I don't like killing animals, not even a damn ant so I leave them be. I didn't used to think about the link between a chicken breast on my plate and a living chicken, but now I do and that's that.

I think animals should be treated with respect and I believe they should be treated as equal to us, as we share this planet with them. Some people will never get this concept, but that's their problem.

I also don't enjoy meat like I enjoy a nice vegetarian dish. Meat makes me feel tired and "heavy", but after a healthy vegetarian meal I feel energised, refreshed and "light". Eating meat regularly will possibly cause you all sorts of problems when you're older.

I think it's great more people are going vegetarian... one day soon I'll make the full switch. In my opinion vegan is too extreme and I think your health would suffer without the necessary supplements you would have to take.

[edit on 14/5/09 by dmorgan]

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 06:41 AM
link   
I'm not a vegetarian and I'm not debating the virtues either way. I'm just responding to the person who had the opinion that they would rather die than eat an animal.

It seems to me that each of us has our limits and what we think those limits are are only as good as the situation we THINK we will be in. For example, there are many stories of people eating people to survive. How many of those people do you think THOUGHT they could actually eat another person? I think that no matter what we think we might do or not do, one never knows until put into the situation.

I'm not saying that that person would eat an animal, I'm just saying that that person doesn't really know what they would do.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 06:51 AM
link   
It could be argued that, depending on your location, hunting animals is counter-productive - the energy expended in getting quality game is greater than the game captured.

Keeping livestock is another thing but this can also be counter-productive for larger animals, requiring an upkeep that needs to be offset against payout in terms of meat production and/or derivatives.

Chickens (layers mind you!) are always a good bet, they require minimal upkeep but can produce essential protein in eggs, also delivering all the essential amino acids for the protein to be absorbed by the body (i.e. complete protein).

Depending on the nature of an apocalypse, it can be counter-productive to eat the flesh of animals that have been exposed to toxicity/radiation. Combined with the effect of "over-hunting" to fulfil the food requirements of a large community, farming for vegetarianism is actually a good bet.

Whether or not you are a vegetarian, it is worthwhile knowing that you can survive well and relatively easily on "vegetable" foods rather than meat.

[edit on 14-5-2009 by SugarCube]

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by spitefulgod

I only watched about 15 minutes of that but couldn't watch anymore, I am so ****ing angry that cruelty like this can take place. I nearly cried seeing that dog thrown into the garbage truck, it had no idea what was happening.

Sometimes I am so damn ashamed of the human race for the cruelty that occurs in this world, not just to animals but to fellow humans beings.

Sorry for the rant but damn this stuff gets to me...

At least I am happy knowing my dog has a nice home and he's taken care of. He's sleeping with me in bed right now, under the sheets that were warmed up by the electric blanket

edit - SugarCube: Right on about the laying hens. I have five and they have a nice big run to scratch around in. The eggs are fantastic and they live a very comfortable life

[edit on 14/5/09 by dmorgan]

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Im a meat eater, i have vegetarian friends, and im aware of red meat beeing not so good for the body. But i guess its habit to eat meat, sometimes i look at the meat and think; thats realy a mangled animal
Feels kinda weird..

Anyway i once heard that it NOT natural for humans to eat animals. Why? Well, you try to take a bite out of some dead animal. Get a nice big mouthfull of that raw meat. You'll bloody die. (or go down someway) And even when we cook meat you have to eat it right away. Doesnt take long for bacteria to colonise.

But the mainstream view among anthropologists is that the increase in human brain-size was due to a shift away from the consumption of nuts and berries to the consumption of meat.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   
I grew up a vegetarian from birth due to my parents religion. I'm no longer a vegetarian due to religion, but due to my own ethical and spiritual reasoning.

If I were in a survival situation I'd be okay with having to eat another animal so long as I'm the one to have to make the kill.

When we have a choice, we have the privilege to make a decision. I guess ultimately the decision comes down to our belief of why we're here and what becomes of us once this life is over.

Being a vegetarian is a privilege I'm happy to have. I choose to respect nature because I can... and it's the least I can do.

[edit on 14/5/09 by Navieko]

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Daniem
Anyway i once heard that it NOT natural for humans to eat animals.

I suppose it depends on your point of view of what "natural" is (and your religious belief). Evidence of human "hunting" indicates that we were killing animals for food and skins even some 400,000 years ago. Primates, from which we evolved (hence the religious aspect), often include meat in their diet - it would appear that gorillas are perhaps the only true vegetarians in this group.

Clearly, this does not indicate the types of meat we are predisposed to eat, a heavy diet of red beef is very different from predominantly eating fish. Whether or not this can be taken as a conclusion of meat-eating as a natural diet is another thing. Certainly, man manages very well on a vegetarian diet - even in the supply of complete protein.

The presence of "fangs" in the human mouth do not add conclusive proof to a meat-diet (i.e. used to "rip" flesh). Horses have canine teeth (giant canine teeth in some breeds) and yet they are clearly not a "hunting species.

I believe that man is supposed to be omnivorous, but I would clarify that statement by indicating that we should not have such a heavy reliance on meat as the main source of food.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 07:52 AM
link   
First - it is the most compassionate. Every life is an opportunity for the spirit. Every life form is a sacred individual being. That life form, funny as it may sound, could have been your mother or friend in the past. There is no difference between the spirit in human or other forms. The cycle is perpetual so long as the spirit is trapped here. Life in human form, most of all, is precious, but all beings in any life form have a natural right to their existence. That said, if they pose a genuine threat to a human life, they take second place. Likewise if a human poses a genuine threat to other human life, it takes second place.

Second -- eating meat is association with the thoughts and feeling of the life form eaten. Here's a link that conveys the general idea. www.guba.com... Likewise, organ and blood transplants are unacceptable. Death is preferable even in that situation. The association with the lower forms nullifies any chance for spiritual assertion. No meat eater can properly battle the forces and emotions of the animal associations and really gain spiritually. Real spiritual teachings have taught that forever. Only in the psuedo religions is the subject acceptable.

Third --- As someone who grew up eating meat, in my opinion, food tastes better without meat.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

I was vegetarian for ten years.

I eventually had to stop because I lacked education and my health was suffering. I also succumbed to pressure from others making stupid and ignorant remarks.

I was regularly made to feel guilty for being vegetarian, at restaurants, family functions, I was the "awkward" one.

My choices for becoming vegetarian were simple, I didn't and don't agree with the way we treat animals. I hate the arrogance of Humans with a passion. What right do we have to breed, contain, mistreat and kill animals in the industrialized way that we currently do?

I have always believed, and will always believe, that the farming of animals should be done regionally, with respect and with care and consideration for the life of that animal. Even if you don't agree that an animal deserves a decent life, you must agree that Humans deserve to maintain their own decency in the way we treat our environment?
We have become a sick species who think that it's ok to cram thousands of animals into a small space, pump their bodies full of chemicals to maximize their yield, feed them man made combination's of materials they are not supposed to eat...

We wonder why we have new diseases like BSE! The fact is, we ground up the remains of other animals and force feed them to cows, an animal that is not designed (or has not evolved) to eat other animals. Of course there's going to be a problem with that!

The stupidity and arrogance of our own species is what I hate so much.
If we had a local farm in my town where I knew the animals were cared for, treated properly, fed correctly and had a decent life before being killed humanely, then I would have absolutely no problem with eating meat. We are supposed to eat meat in my opinion, but we are not supposed to farm in the way we currently do.

At the moment I buy food with an ethical mind whenever I can. It's not easy, and I do feel guilty for being a part of the system that keeps the insanity going. But at this time I don't have a choice.
I do fully intend to change this in the future. I'll either become vegetarian again and do so properly, of I'll find a way to source meat from an ethical farmer.

In a sit-x scenario, I would have no qualms about hunting and killing for food. Because I know that I wouldn't be eating an animal that has spent its entire life in a cage being mistreated by psychotic Humans.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 08:14 AM
link   
This is an interesting thread to stumble over. i have been hanging around with one of my vegan freinds quite a lot of late. and have decided to make the switch to a veggie. its not going to take much as i only tend to eat meat about once or twice a week.

going vegan though would be a massive step with the amount of dairy products i get threw... mmmm cheese.

the point is i would happly kill, skin, cook and eat an animal. i have before. in a way i prefer that option as you know where the meat is coming from. the conditions the animal lived and died in. my main reason for turning veggie is not that i dont like meat occationaly. more the meat industry its self.

when i get the chance i happly eat free range produce... and i mean proper free range. like one of aunty bettys chicken eggs.... thats had a whole farm practicaly to its self. some wild caught rabbit. etc. their is a lot of good produce out their if you look for it. if you dont want to turn veggi i recomend at least that step... away from the battery farmed animals from the super markets.!!!

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 08:19 AM
link   
p.s been veggi for about 2 weeks now. i have noticed my health perk up if anything. and my food bill dramaticaly go down.. meats dam expensive.. pulses, beans, veg , fungi n fruit are soooo much cheaper.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I try to find a balance with meat. I LOVE steak and chicken wings and thats never going to change. I tried switching to veggie burgers and hot dogs because they were a lot better for you, but they were just......gross. So really, I ended up giving up hot dogs, burgers were too big a step.

People have the right to eat what they want or not eat what they want. No one has a right to be on a "moral high horse" for either side of the argument. Some vegetarians say eating meat is cruel, thats your opinion and your entitled to it. But, some don't and they are entitled to that opinion too.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I simply do not eat meat because I do not like it. I do not enjoy the texture or the taste, and even when I did eat meat I simply enjoyed it for the seasonings. I found that I could duplicate the same seasoning tastes on all my favourite vegetarian dishes.
I can understand pretty much all reasonings people chose to eat meat or not to. It's personal choice often reflected on religion, lifestyle, location or morality.
I do not go as far as going vegan yet.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

It's mainly because some of us have come to the conclusion that we don't need to eat a piece of meat each day to survive. I myself was on a number of occations a witness to a slaughter. I've seen it, heard the animals and thought to myself, that this is happening each day all over the world just for me to have a hamburger. And I can do without it. At least partially.

So I've left ham and any other meat except fish out of the door. Since I can't force myself to stop eating meat completely, at least that much I can do.

It's called Congnitive dissonance.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I honestly wish i could become a vegetarian/vegan. I hate the animal trade and feel bad when i support it by buying meat. But most veg actually hit my gag reflex and make me physically sick on the spot. (not joking either) The only green thing i'll eat is spinnach.

I guess I'm a carnivore with a conscionce (sp)

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by SugarCube

Originally posted by Daniem
Anyway i once heard that it NOT natural for humans to eat animals.

I suppose it depends on your point of view of what "natural" is (and your religious belief). Evidence of human "hunting" indicates that we were killing animals for food and skins even some 400,000 years ago. Primates, from which we evolved (hence the religious aspect), often include meat in their diet - it would appear that gorillas are perhaps the only true vegetarians in this group.

Clearly, this does not indicate the types of meat we are predisposed to eat, a heavy diet of red beef is very different from predominantly eating fish. Whether or not this can be taken as a conclusion of meat-eating as a natural diet is another thing. Certainly, man manages very well on a vegetarian diet - even in the supply of complete protein.

The presence of "fangs" in the human mouth do not add conclusive proof to a meat-diet (i.e. used to "rip" flesh). Horses have canine teeth (giant canine teeth in some breeds) and yet they are clearly not a "hunting species.

I believe that man is supposed to be omnivorous, but I would clarify that statement by indicating that we should not have such a heavy reliance on meat as the main source of food.

It's completely natural for people to eat animals, we have the teeth as discussed and a small intestine for meat, a large intestine for vegetable matter, and we are natural omnivores. What I disagree with is that it's unnatural to cage animals, the make them suffer unnecessarily and treat them as commodities and products. For that reason I don't eat meat, and I don't feel the need to kill a wild animal, I can survive on vegetables and microprotiens. If it came to it I could kill and eat and animal if my or my families life depended on it, but vegetables are so easy to grow and abundant, I don't see a reason why I would have to.

I don't look down on people for eating meat as it is given so easily, it's cheap, it's just not for me, I just dislike the industrialisation of life and the people who blatantly rub in the fact that an animal died for the meat in your face, I find it immature and cruel.

[edit on 14/5/2009 by spitefulgod]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join