It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jehovah's Witnesses Christian or Cult?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by flashesofblue

Miriam was simply explaining to you that when you criticized us for using analogies with car trips and such while calling God indescribable and then you go back and use the line about God creating humans in His image making us like gods. She wasn't denying the verse in Genesis. Also, calling Satan a god is correct because the bible actually calls him the "god of this world". He is the creator of evil and chaos. Before this there was only good. The tree of knowledge was created by God to test Adam and Eve yet the outcome came from Satan. The evil in the equation of "good vs. evil" was created by Satan because before Satan there was no evil in the heavens or earth.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I guess after all these years I still harbor ill feelings for the JWs and what they did to my husband's family, so here I am posting a few strongly felt memories. The JWs ripped a family apart and felt righteous about it. My mother in law joined and cut everyone in the family out, a family who loved her, cared for her, helped her. She even refused to meet her new grandchildren.

Keep in mind that her family are all Methodists who keep the Gospel in their hearts and always will. She was at a vulnerable time when her husband had just passed away from a stroke. We were all there with her, but still they found their way to her door when we were at work.

My husband was crushed, as was his sister, his grandmother, everyone. And wow, to this day, 26 years later she still has not met her grandson, doesn't want to. They have no hearts, evil is their mantra, total cult.

STM

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by seentoomuch
My husband was crushed, as was his sister, his grandmother, everyone. And wow, to this day, 26 years later she still has not met her grandson, doesn't want to. They have no hearts, evil is their mantra, total cult.

STM

im sorry for your problem, but i must say, that doesnt sound like anything JW´s are encouraged to do.

ive never seen any literature or sermons that encourage shunning one´s unbelieving family.

im not sure you should be blaming the organization when it is obviously your mother-in-law´s own personal decision

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   

STM

im sorry for your problem, but i must say, that doesnt sound like anything JW´s are encouraged to do.

ive never seen any literature or sermons that encourage shunning one´s unbelieving family.

im not sure you should be blaming the organization when it is obviously your mother-in-law´s own personal decision

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
It was not her personal decision, it was ordered as a condition to her remaining in good standing with the JW cult. That was made very clear to us.

STM

[edit on 5/20/2009 by seentoomuch]

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by seentoomuch

It's unfortunate you and your family had this experience, but I would love to hear her side of the story as well. My step-brother and I are the only ones in my family (a huge family btw) who converted. My family NEVER opposed my new faith, so I am immensely thankful for that. But when I started associating with the witnesses, NOT ONCE did they ever told me, "you must cut off from your family who are not witnesses". I did however have to cut off from certain relatives and especially friends that where in deed a bad influence on me, if I wanted to progress spiritually. For example: I could no longer hang out with my club buddies for obvious reasons.

[edit on 20-5-2009 by holywar]

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
This group is located in Texas City, TX and Hitchcock, TX, and no, if anything we were much more spiritual/Christian (she had a drinking problem). My father is a minister and my mother helps him and volunteers in the nursing homes every week. I was raised in this atmosphere and I also along with my husband are very much "walking the walk" Christians, always helping people, always with a prayer in our hearts. I personally believe they saw her as a weak link and took advantage of her.

STM

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   

It was not her personal decision, it was ordered as a condition to her remaining in good standing with the JW cult. That was made very clear to us.

STM

im sorry but... show the article.

if you cant present material from the JW´s very public library of publications then its obvious to me that your mother-in-law´s decision to stay away from you is exactly that, her decision.

even the elders regularly consult the watchtower and awake magazines to help determine how situations should be handled, and even the articles themselves rely heavily on biblical references.

i mean that goes for any claim against the policy of any organization. otherwise, your claim is just a claim

either that or, there are parts of the story you are not telling.

[edit on 20-5-2009 by miriam0566]

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
How many members of your family do you refuse to talk to due to their staying with the Gospel? Her JW bible studies with the group were adamant that "it's THEIR way/version/beliefs or the highway". I'm sure there's family members that disagree with your beliefs and I'm sure you refuse to speak with them, that's how it goes with the JWs. I believe it is you that is holding back the real situation.

As for written info, well, I'm not going to waste my time on that JW garbage. It would pollute my mind, I saw the damage first hand, I saw my husband's sister with her two kids crying her eyes out when the mother wouldn't even acknowledge them as family unless they joined the JWs.

Now, the only caveat I can give you on this was that this was about 26 years ago and in very small towns, soooo perhaps the JWs do not follow this anymore, but somehow I really doubt it.

STM

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   

How many members of your family do you refuse to talk to due to their staying with the Gospel? Her JW bible studies with the group were adamant that "it's THEIR way/version/beliefs or the highway". I'm sure there's family members that disagree with your beliefs and I'm sure you refuse to speak with them, that's how it goes with the JWs. I believe it is you that is holding back the real situation.

i dont know who my family is. i was separated from them when i was very young. however i have many associates who are JW's and many of them talk to their non-JW families on a regular basis.

As for written info, well, I'm not going to waste my time on that JW garbage. It would pollute my mind, I saw the damage first hand, I saw my husband's sister with her two kids crying her eyes out when the mother wouldn't even acknowledge them as family unless they joined the JWs.

if your not willing to show any sort of hard proof that this is a policy of the organization as opposed to just a personal decision, how can i or anyone else reading this thread take your claim seriously?

Now, the only caveat I can give you on this was that this was about 26 years ago and in very small towns, soooo perhaps the JWs do not follow this anymore, but somehow I really doubt it.

its possible i suppose, but it confirms my "personal opinion" theory

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Go HERE for chapter 11 on the book "The Secret of Family Happiness".

Go HERE for an audio version of the whole book.

The above chapter deals mainly with situations within the immediate family circle. But the same principles can be applied to extended family as well.

[edit on 20-5-2009 by holywar]

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Thanks for the links, but that is NOT what I saw practiced. The crux seems to be who is considered a true Christian. It came down to, (in these little towns) that only JWs are true Christians. And as for being loving and supportive it did not happen. As soon as she realized that the family was staying with The Gospel it was lights out, no contact. She said her JW bible group insisted on this or she would not be a true Christian.

In other words, she had a new family, we were not needed anymore.

STM

P.S. She would not even attend our son's (her grandchild's) christening due to it being in a different church.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   

It came down to, (in these little towns) that only JWs are true Christians. And as for being loving and supportive it did not happen. As soon as she realized that the family was staying with The Gospel it was lights out, no contact.

then im sorry to say this but she is not practicing what the bible says on the matter nor what the JW organization as a whole practice

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Just to address the request for written proof of the JWs cult like behaviors, well, tell you what, show me a video a you having lunch last week and what was spoken to you, can you? I thought not. The JWs behavior may not be in writing but what I saw and heard happened.

I'm outta here at this point, too many sad, very sad memories of the damage this cult did to our family.

STM

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   

I don't understand why she would be told such a thing.

The above info I provided truly represents how we stand on the family issue.

So, just to echo what Miriam already said, whatever happened in your mother-in-law's situation, DOES NOT represent the organization AT ALL.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   

I'm outta here at this point, too many sad, very sad memories of the damage this cult did to our family.

well, your going to believe what you want to believe, whether the information is in front of you or not.

best of luck

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by miriam0566

Okay, one more post on this sad subject,

Hope I'm not cross posting, here goes,

I'm hopeful that it was just a small town, 26 years ago that had it wrong, or the rules were different then, I truly pray that it is not so at this time. Small towns do tend to get a little "interesting" in their beliefs. Hope it was just an isolated case, but wow, it was damaging,

All My Best To You,

STM

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   

I'm hopeful that it was just a small town, 26 years ago that had it wrong, or the rules were different then, I truly pray that it is not so at this time. Small towns do tend to get a little "interesting" in their beliefs. Hope it was just an isolated case, but wow, it was damaging,

i agree.

personally, this is one of the reasons why i think we have to be careful to always check what we are being taught against the source. otherwise unfortunately it does damage

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Ok much as has already been said by the M&M gals.

But I am very familiar with JW doctrine, the only time JW's are not suppose to associate with unbelieving immediate family, (grand kids are considered immediate), is on the holidays because they don't celebrate them. Beyond that it is OK. As long they aren't doing things that violate their belief structure.

Anything beyond that is either one of 2 things, 1) Personal choice, 2)or some overzealous local Elders(minsters) strongly advising the person.

As mentioned that is not the standard for JW's

I am sorry for your painful situation.

[edit on 20-5-2009 by Blue_Jay33]

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue_Jay33

"M&M gals"... LOL!!!

I am glad you mentioned the "overzealous elder", I had that in mind as well. Their over the top zeal can sometimes create problems (not intentionally).

What can I say, we are NOT perfect, and we never claim to be. We do however LOVE God and his word the Bible, and we try very hard to worship him on his terms, not ours.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join