It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here Are a Few of the Torture Photos Obama Doesn't Want You To See

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   
If we were so afraid that these sorts of acts would incite violence against the US - WE SHOULDN'T HAVE DONE THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE.

We've become a society of non-accountability. Oh no, johnny isn't messed up, video games and rock music made him do it. What a load of crap.

We did wrong here, and a 'real man' takes his punches when he deserves them. Hiding our sins doesn't make us a better people. Own up to them, use them as lessons to do better. Don't be that guy, the one that never takes responsiblity for his own actions.

I am disappointed in Obama's decision here. Though I'm sure if he had went along with the release, we'd have threads here demonizing him for damning the lives of the troops. Oh wait, there was. So again, damned if you do, damned if you don't. I don't envy him the job of president.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

We are hardly being attacked anymore. A few small and isolated attacks of late. We have probably lost as many police officers in this country in the last few moths as combat troops over there. At any rate millions get up every day over there and go about their business with an elected government in power.

Just becouse our press splashes an incident across the news as indictment of failure means nothing and is only believed as such by those that want to believe.

As far as justification for invasion its a shame to me that such a song and dance had to be done to promote the thing. Saddam was just on a back burner for me. And I firmly believe we did humanity a service. Talk about torture! They didn't know what water boarding was it was so lame compared to their appetites.

As far as our cooperate footprint it goes with the thing. Dont believe it was a goal primarily. But you cant get the bull without some horn it just goes with the turf. And the Iraqis aren't really complaining about the windfall from being saved by such a wealthy corporate giant coming in a freeing up that oil money that Saddam was wasting on his own private goals.

[edit on 14-5-2009 by Logarock]

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jadette

We did wrong here, and a 'real man' takes his punches when he deserves them. Hiding our sins doesn't make us a better people. Own up to them, use them as lessons to do better. Don't be that guy, the one that never takes responsiblity for his own actions.

This isn't a simple matter of manning up and taking punches. You stand there long enough and everybody will be punching on you. Beside if I dont think your right your not getting any free shots. And certainly wont take any man schooling from those that are using this as an excuse to toss punches for other reasons.

Maybe the 911 boys should man up and take their punches. A little water boarding? I think Ill go watch some videos of people jumping from the burning towers.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi
I fail to have sympathy for any terrorists/enemy combatant. I also fail to have any ill feelings towards US soldiers working in the terrorist's prison. I was not there when the terrorists were captured. I don't know and I was not there in the prison where the torture (yes, I am not afraid to call it torture) occurred. A few pictures will not cause me to support terrorists and hate my own countrymen.

Are you certain that all these people were terrorists or even enemy combatants? If you are, how do you know this?

www.sbpost.ie...

Lets highlight some important things from the above link:

In the six years since the war began, the military ultimately detained some 100,000 suspects

That's a lot of people...

Iraqi judges have issued detention orders to prosecute only 129 of the 2,120 cases they have finished reviewing so far this year - or about 6%, according to US military data. As of yesterday, 1,991 detainees had been freed since January 1.

6% prosecution rate?! I wonder what the conviction rate is.

The military also expected to release another 600 detainees by the end of March, a spokesman said.

600 terrorists allowed to go free? Please.

The US detention policy has been unpopular in a country where many feel that thousands have been detained without cause, and where the Abu Ghraib prison abuse scandal will be remembered for a long time.

(Emphasis added)

Many detainees locked up at Cuba's Guantanamo jail were innocent men swept up by US forces unable to distinguish enemies from non-combatants, a former Bush administration official said.

"There are still innocent people there," Lawrence Wilkerson, a Republican who was chief of staff to then-secretary of state Colin Powell, said. "Some have been there six or seven years."

Six or seven years of being detained and tortured all the while being completely innocent of any wrongdoing, could you imagine that? Straight from the horse's mouth here folks, many innocent people have been subjected to something most red-blooded Americans would kill for to save a family member from the same fate.

Some of the comments from people here are truly sickening. You have to elevate yourself to a higher moral position than your enemy, otherwise what is the difference between you and them? That is why I do not condone the use of torture on enemy combatants, let alone completely innocent civilians who are just trying to survive in some of the most dangerous places on the planet. It's not as if they can just up sticks and leave, is it?

How would you feel when your mother, father, brothers, sisters and children were abducted by force and tortured to extract information on the CIA, of which they know absolutely nothing about? If you cared for them you would not be saying the things you are now unless you have been totally brainwashed by our masters. Think about it.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by RE2505
Why not show some pictures of our soldiers torn apart by IED's and suicide bombers as they work to rebuild stabilty. Or maybe pictures of our soldiers dragged out of vehicles and executed in front of cheering crowds who then proceed to play football with said soldiers heads. I'm sorry but these "torture" pictures pale in comparison to the evil done by the iraqi's. Get a grip. You think captured nato forces would be treated better by these people? Haha, they would be lucky to even see the inside of a pow camp.

Are you serious? You really think that these people would behead soldiers and then play football with them? You mean the Iraqi people themselves? The ones that are pretty much like you and I? Really? Wow, if you were to come up with those pictures then it would give you a leg to stand on in your argument. However, you don't have those images. Believe me, if they were there we would have seen them. Because I just don't see kids running around kicking a head. Not going to happen.

Plus, this is the most important point, why is that region unstable? Seriously ask yourself this. And please don't say it was unstable because of Saddam. It wasn't. Al Qaeida wasn't there. Their economy was fine. Their people had jobs and were living their lives. Sure, he did some bad things to the Kurds and a few other populations. Not saying he was a saint. But the region was definitely stable.

So I ask again. WHY is the region unstable this very day? When you come up with the answer then you will truly understand what those pictures mean.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Goathief

It won't matter what FACTS you post here. There will still be those who have been completely brainwashed into believing that the people of Iraq are our enemies. I will try to refrain from calling them idiots for believing so because they truly have been manipulated by the powers that be. The majority of the people held for tortu...I mean questioning over the past near decade now ARE INNOCENT. Heck, not even 'majority' is the right term. The VAST majority would be a better description.

Even when our own commanders and officers finally are admitting to the atrocities that have and are still taking place these people come out with the...

"I have no sympathy for the enemy.." blah blah blah, beating their chest and strutting around like the big stud dog in the yard.

THE PEOPLE OF IRAQ ARE NOT OUR ENEMY. I wish I could pound that into the dense skulls of those who still adhere to the pathetic argument that they are our enemies.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheTilde

Originally posted by RE2505
Why not show some pictures of our soldiers torn apart by IED's and suicide bombers as they work to rebuild stabilty....

That's where the disagreement is...
I'll tell you a secret...
Nobody in his right mind across the world wants the US to "come and help".
Or at least I -surely- don't want it.

TheTilde

(edit for grammmmmaaaar)

[edit on 14-5-2009 by TheTilde]

yup..i'm sure all the parents of those girls in the 5 schools that were gassed to death in pakistan are so happy that the US didn't come to help them. and all the brutality that is happening in the swat valley in pakistan by the taliban is much better than having the US come into the country. let's see all of THOSE photos...oh right...there aren't any...look, i condemn the torture done in our name, but to blame the US for being the only one doing this? you are looking through rose colored glasses my friend.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Funny how being in office and the gained understanding of how the world really works turns even the staunchest left winger into a right winger.

Obama supports military, who'd have thunk it.

(Me !!)

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   
How does anyone know that the Americans did it?

The one picture with the soldier with his fist up might
have had a problem with a inmate.

They most likely got hurt in combat.

Thanks,
TT

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Those pics are crazy this stuff goes on and we dont even know. All these injustices need to be broken down one at a time, no1 has the solution for all of modern societies problems its all about unity and purpose. Prayin for better times .. ~Peace~

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   
The arguments you hear from the Goverment is BS!

We! the people of the rest of the world have already seen all of these photos in our newspapers and media- while in the US it has been censored.

The truth is that they don't want the 'Average Joe Public' to see them, and start asking questions!

This have nothing to do with the arguments they now are trying to fool you with:

-Tarnish the image of America. (well! I guess that image is already destroyed)

-Make it more dangerous for military men & women.

Why do I say this? - Because the world has already seen most of the photos - these photos could be found everywhere in the foreign press more than two years ago!!

Some & more of the same photos:

www.antiwar.com...

www.antiwar.com...

www.wired.com...

www.salon.com...

www.smh.com.au...

www.guardian.co.uk...

Here is a great HBO Video 'Ghosts of Abu Ghraib' with more photos:

Google Video Link

Only God knows what happened at Gitmo, in east European secret prisons and all other places who had similar "Modus Operandi" ?

[edit on 14-5-2009 by Chevalerous]

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by texastig
How does anyone know that the Americans did it?

The one picture with the soldier with his fist up might
have had a problem with a inmate.

They most likely got hurt in combat.

Thanks,
TT

In psychology: This is a classic example of what is called rationalization.

/2qvare

2nd line.

[edit on 14/5/09 by blackcube]

[edit on 14/5/09 by blackcube]

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
All I have to say is: where are the voices of the Constitutionalists who want to strip Obama of the Presidency because "he is not a natural born citizen"? Where is Ron Paul's voice demanding an investigation? Now you know where these people stand: apologists for the Fascists of the Bush administration who subverted the Constitution of the United States of America. But where a man is born is more important than the war crimes of their favorite leaders. If Obama wants to maintain any credibility he had better lead the fight to reveal the truth of this past administration. Or is he being blackmailed into silence by covert threats?

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ameneter
All I have to say is: where are the voices of the Constitutionalists who want to strip Obama of the Presidency because "he is not a natural born citizen"? Where is Ron Paul's voice demanding an investigation? Now you know where these people stand: apologists for the Fascists of the Bush administration who subverted the Constitution of the United States of America. But where a man is born is more important than the war crimes of their favorite leaders. If Obama wants to maintain any credibility he had better lead the fight to reveal the truth of this past administration. Or is he being blackmailed into silence by covert threats?

I would participate in the action in these pictures in a second if it meant saving one single American life. For those of you who don't agree, those of you who feel we're the bad guys - just go home and sleep well tonight. None of you understand the circumstances or situations that created these pictures.

If you look in the most of the pics it looks like the prisoners are getting medical treatment. Why? Because they're not the innocent people you think, they are terrorists and I would bet many were injured in combat.

This is the price these people, their culture and their nation pay for protecting Bin Laden and supporting the terrorist who are out to deystroy my country.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   

February 15, 2006

MORE photographs have been leaked of Iraqi citizens tortured by US soldiers at the notorious Abu Ghraib prison on the outskirts of Baghdad.

Tonight the SBS Dateline program plans to broadcast about 60 previously unpublished photographs that the US Government has been fighting to keep secret in a court case with the American Civil Liberties Union.

www.smh.com.au...

These photos are from Abu Ghraib?

This is from 2006.

Are you sure these are the pictures in question.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Chevalerous

We! the people of the rest of the world have already seen all of these photos in our newspapers and media- while in the US it has been censored.

I don't want to argue with you, however we can and do access your news, and news from around the world.

and you source was from 2006

[edit on 113131p://bThursday2009 by Stormdancer777]

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Is there a difference between torture and brutality?

When I hear that our government tortured, I think that they used evil tactics to get information from certain people.

When I see pictures like the guy hitting the prisoner, I think of police brutality. I don't see this brutality as an attempt to gather information. I see it as someone taking advantage of a prisoner just because they are in a position of authority. Power hungry.

Are we even distinguishing between the two? I would think torture involves top level government officials and brutality involves a bunch of punks who take the law into their own hands.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

I am not for torture, no way,

I just want to know if these are the same pictures that Obama didn't want released or if they are old ones that have already been seen.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop

Why not show some pictures of our soldiers torn apart by IED's and suicide bombers as they work to rebuild stabilty. Or maybe pictures of our soldiers dragged out of vehicles and executed in front of cheering crowds who then proceed to play football with said soldiers heads. I'm sorry but these "torture" pictures pale in comparison to the evil done by the iraqi's. Get a grip. You think captured nato forces would be treated better by these people? Haha, they would be lucky to even see the inside of a pow camp.

And why would these people, be so angry and hell bent on revenge to do such things?

It must be horrible for them, to have an occupational army controlling their city, their resources and their economy.

Enough.

Perhaps it is instilled into them from birth?

It is one thing to fight and die for your COUNTRY; it is another thing to become a barbarian towards others for your GOD.

One group wear a uniform that identifies them as the 'enemy' while the other hide behind women and children. And the ones blamed are the ones in uniform, fighting for christ knows why - bring them home, let those places fizzle into oblivion for all I care.

If a hardened millitary officer can go troppo and shoot 5 unarmed US citizens in a mental health facility, think about what THEY are going through, as basically children, thrust into a hell they either were ill prepared for, or thought vastly differently of before hand.

Water boarding? Nude humiliation? Is this any different to a prison in their own countries??

Difference is, these ones MAY - MAY - be able to provide a means to prevent the slaughter of innocent civilians and OUR OWN PEOPLE.

Would perhaps falanga be a better treatment - it is afterall, a favorite in these places.

I give up. It's like spoilt children run the roost, crowing over how bad it is where the foxes are, while they roost in their pens, secure and safe, only having to cluck and lay eggs.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Amazing the photo's have already been leaked. Very sad pictures.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join