It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Catholic TV Says Vatican Will Step In-- Obama Will Be Disinvited to Notre Dame

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Night Watchman
Catholic Church's stringent opposition to US action against Iraq.

That wasn't a Catholic rule. The meat and potatos of that aren't in the Catechism. I'll tell you exactly what that was ....

It was a bunch of euro-centric left wing anti-American old men who thought they could use their position of power to screw with American power in the world.

Nothing more.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

But to get back on topic .... the RULE is what I showed you and inviting Obama breaks the rules. It can't be allowed. Just because some bishops in the past protected pedophiles who came into the church to hunt, that doesn't mean that everyone throws in the towel and the rest of the church should break all the rules.

The Church can do as it pleases but understand that it is just this kind of action that is slowly (maybe not so slowly) killing the US Catholic Church. And, as stated earlier, based on the rule you provided, the church should have also demanded that Bush not be given an honorary degree either.

One last point. You distort the scope of the Child Molestation scandal in the church. It wasn't just sick priests and inept, deceitful Cardinals and Bishops. The Vatican itself did nothing to address the horror that was perpetrated on children in the name of the Catholic Church.

Bernard Law, who should have been taken from his office in Boston in handcuffs (thanks to gutless law enforcement and govt officials he was not charged) and sent to prison, was instead, promoted by the Vatican and sent to Rome where he lives comfortably today.

Still serving his church...the one that selectively cares about the lives and welfare of the innocent.

[edit on 15-5-2009 by Night Watchman]

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   

it is just this kind of action that is slowly (maybe not so slowly) killing the US Catholic Church.

So then let it die. Religions come and go. Who cares?

the church should have also demanded that Bush not be given an honorary degree either.

that's subjective. I disagree.

You distort the scope of the Child Molestation scandal in the church.

No I don't. You posted the facts. I agreed and said 'yep'.

During the time that these child molestation cases came out, PJPII was not in any condition to lead the church in regards to that area. I believe that information was kept from him and that Ratzinger (who is now pope) was the one to deal with it. And he did a piss-poor job of dealing with it (in my opinion).

Popes CAN retire. They don't have to stay until the end of their lives. PJPII had written up paperwork saying he was retiring. It was written up a few years before he died. He never implemented them. I have no idea why he didn't. He had them all set and ready to go.

The pope has to be able to do the job - both with spiritual and secular matters. It takes some stamina. PJPII didn't have the stamina for the secular matters.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Popes CAN retire. They don't have to stay until the end of their lives. PJPII had written up paperwork saying he was retiring. It was written up a few years before he died. He never implemented them. I have no idea why he didn't. He had them all set and ready to go.

But despite our obvious disagreement here, I commend you on your ability to skillfully defend your position. As may be obvious, I am currently struggling mightily with my church and it's positions on some issues.

Thanks for the well thought out and reasoned responses. You did clear up a couple of misconceptions I had regarding official position versus public comments of officials.

[edit on 15-5-2009 by Night Watchman]

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   

I am currently struggling mightily with my church and it's positions on some issues.

Happens to all of us. (well .. most of us anyways).

misconceptions I had regarding official position versus public comments of officials.

Ahhh yes ... LOTS of people think that because a priest or bishop or pope expresses his opinion that it must be church law or that people must listen and obey. That's not the case. The law is the law .. the rules are the rules ... and peoples opinions are ONLY opinions and they NEVER trump church laws or rules.

You seem to get it. Too bad those in charge of Notre Dame don't understand this. They are supposed to know better.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Notre Dame Students Organize Anti-Commencement Demonstrations

A plane sponsored by the Center for Bioethical Reform has circled the campus since April 28, alternating images of an aborted fetus with messages to Jenkins to change his mind, and trucks from the group are driving the streets in South Bend bearing graphic images protesting the decision.

As local police are coordinating with Secret Service to prepare for the president's visit, those living around campus are preparing for an estimated 20,000 protesters to come to their neighborhood.

www.foxnews.com...

WEll, 20,000?

If that happens i will be shocked.

www.ndsmcobserver.com...

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Watchman

As may be obvious, I am currently struggling mightily with my church and it's positions on some issues.

That's not unusual,

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Night Watchman

That has got to be one of the lamest excuses for opposing the bill that I have ever heard.

Instead of putting a second nail in the coffin of this atrocious procedure, he says, nah, what we have is enough.

What harm would have come from him supporting the legislation?

You don't need another nail in the coffin. It was already illegal. Should we be passing additional legislation making child abuse illegal? Would that make it more illegal?

No, there are no degrees of illegality. It is or isn't.

OK, then I won't need to ask you whether you think Hate Crime laws are necessary. Because they are on many state's books already.

If a crime is a crime, then why do we need hate crime laws?

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

OK, then I won't need to ask you whether you think Hate Crime laws are necessary. Because they are on many state's books already.

If a crime is a crime, then why do we need hate crime laws?

We don't need most Hate Crime (perhaps we don't need any but I'm leaving room for the possibility that some close loopholes in current law) for the same reasons the Illinois bill was superfluous.

Hate crimes laws are examples of politicians grandstanding to further their own agendas. The Illinois Bill represented an underhanded attempt to force changes in the state's abortion right's laws under the guise of protecting heretofore unprotected babies. The authors of the bill correctly surmised that very few politicians would have the courage to oppose such a bill...

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Catholic donations to Notre Dame drop
ReplaceJenkins.com said it has received pledges from alumni and donors promising to withhold donations.

Some $14 million in donations being held back over honor to President Obama.

Well money may talk louder then the voices of protestors.
www.speroforum.com...

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
Catholic donations to Notre Dame drop
ReplaceJenkins.com said it has received pledges from alumni and donors promising to withhold donations.

Yeah I can see why these donors want to get rid of Father Jenkins. After all, they don't want a brilliant, well spoken priest who seems more interested in finding ways to reduce the number of abortions that are performed in this country.

They need someone who will spew extremist rhetoric and waste time, energy (and money) on trying to pass anti-constitutional laws instead of working towards actual, realistic ways to address this terrible problem.

Then again, wasn't it Notre Dame alumni who once killed the dog of the head football coach because the team wasn't winning enough?

I guess it shows that you don't have to be particularly bright to have money.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
Catholic TV Says Vatican Will Step In-- Obama Will Be Disinvited to Notre Dame

gatewaypundit.blogspot.com...

Rumors are spreading that the Vatican will step in and correct the mistake by Notre Dame of inviting the most radical pro-abortion and infanticide president in history to Commencement this weekend.
Fighting Irish Thomas has more on this Catholic news:

Real Catholic TV's Michael Voris told us that the Vatican itself is on the verge of stepping in to stop the South Bend sacrilege ... but at the same time urged viewers to say the full twenty decades of the rosary for Notre Dame so that the prelates don't lose their nerve.

Also, Amy Procter has more including video.

Well this could get interesting.

Will have to keep my eye on the situation.

lololol...What a bunch of douche bags....sry for name calling but there is no other words to describe the Vatican.

A group of controlling people in a different country on a different continent want to stop OUR country's LEADER from attending a commencement honoring hard working students ????????

Who are they to say where OUR president can and cannot go????

And people will back them out of dumb blind stupid faith.

Not all faith is bad but faith in the fraud chruch and controllers is .

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by WisdomInChains
The students didn't want him there so he's uninvited i don't get why thats such a big deal

Racist Republican conservatives probably . just a guess.

Try and deny it but if we could only listen to a conversation happening on campus about it i'm pretty sure most would agree.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by LucidDreamer85

Try and deny it but if we could only listen to a conversation happening on campus about it i'm pretty sure most would agree.

Yes I believe those protesting are, in large part, Conservatives but there is also a segment of Catholics who are brainwashed. These people are liberal on many issues but have been convinced by Church leaders that it is best to abandon all other beliefs and concern themselves only with one issue.

The Church has lost it's way.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join