It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Catholic TV Says Vatican Will Step In-- Obama Will Be Disinvited to Notre Dame

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by WisdomInChains
no link my cousin goes there he said a large portion of students dont want him there

That is what I would call anecdotal evidence and is really not accurate. It is a small majority of students and conservative Catholic organizations.

These same organizations (not students) were silent when the child molestation scandal broke.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   
What r u rambeling on about? What does child molestation have to do with any of this how about we stay on topic. How exactly do u know who does or dosen't want him there wheres ur link?

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   

What r u rambeling on about? What does child molestation have to do with any of this how about we stay on topic. How exactly do u know who does or dosen't want him there wheres ur link?

You're the one who made the statement that "most of the students" dont want Obama there. You have already admitted that you based that on the opinion of your cousin.

I do believe the burden is on you to back up the claim.

Let me know when you can find anything.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
It is a small majority of students and conservative Catholic organizations.
-nightwatchmen

u gonna be backing thta up any time soon

[edit on 14-5-2009 by WisdomInChains]

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   

It is a small majority of students and conservative Catholic organizations.
-nightwatchmen

u gonna be backing thta up any time soon

[edit on 14-5-2009 by WisdomInChains]

Since you asked:

www.msnbc.msn.com...

"There are unintended consequences to this kind of angry, vituperative language about their opponents," Whelan said. "By making themselves pawns of the conservative right, the bishops are playing into a cycle of decline for our church." Notre Dame students are generally enthusiastic about Obama's impending visit to their northern Indiana campus. He won about 57 percent of the students' vote in a mock election in October, compared with 41 percent for Republican John McCain, an abortion rights opponent.

So, I would think you have two options here. Either produce a link backing up your claim or admit you were wrong.

[edit on 14-5-2009 by Night Watchman]

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   
If people are going to debate this topic, let's get the FACTS straight. First of all, the issue is not whether Obama should have been invited. That is NOT what people are objecting to. The issue is whether Obama should be awarded an honorary doctorate.

In addition, people should stop making this merely a "Catholic" issue. As you can see from the Rasmussen Survey, Americans, by over 2 to 1 OPPOSE giving Obama an honorary degree.

www.lifesitenews.com...

May 7, 2009 (LifeSiteNews.com) - A new Rasmussen Reports survey finds that more than twice as many Americans - and a wider margin of Catholics - oppose the University of Notre Dame's decision to give an honorary law degree to President Barack Obama, as those who support it.
The Rasmussen Reports telephone survey found that, by a 60% to 25% margin, U.S. Catholics say Notre Dame should obey guidelines issued by the U.S. bishops and refrain from awarding an honorary degree to the president. Among all Americans, 52% oppose the honor and 25% support it.

As for the OP, the quoted source is merely a BLOG, one person's opinion. The Vatican will not step in.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProfEmeritus
If people are going to debate this topic, let's get the FACTS straight. First of all, the issue is not whether Obama should have been invited. That is NOT what people are objecting to. The issue is whether Obama should be awarded an honorary doctorate.

Which is every bit as ridiculous as uninviting. Has there been one other time when ND did not bestow an Honorary Doctorate on a Commencement Speaker?

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
thats what i like to call anecdotal evidence how do they know what the majority of the student body wants

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   

thats what i like to call anecdotal evidence how do they know what the majority of the student body wants

I provided a link. You have not.

Case closed.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
dosent prove anything its just a guy stating he knows what the student body wants but how does he know? did he interview them all personally

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Watchman

www.southbendtribune.com.../20090514/News01/905140315/-1/XML

In the early decades following Notre Dame's founding in 1842, honorary degrees weren't automatically granted to all commencement speakers, historical records indicate.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   

www.southbendtribune.com.../20090514/News01/905140315/-1/XML

In the early decades following Notre Dame's founding in 1842, honorary degrees weren't automatically granted to all commencement speakers, historical records indicate.

Ok so basically, every speaker since at least 1900 has received an honorary degree?

Not that my fellow Catholics would ever be hypocritical but I don't remember any complaints when last year's speaker, George W. Bush, was given an honorary degree.

I guess the Death Penalty is no longer a problem for the Church.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Not that my fellow Catholics would ever be hypocritical but I don't remember any complaints when last year's speaker, George W. Bush, was given an honorary degree. I guess the Death Penalty is no longer a problem for the Church.

You know, instead of shooting your mouth off, without even knowing what you're talking about, why don't YOU do some research, since just about every statement you made, is false.
For the record:

www.nytimes.com...

If some students skip the graduation ceremony, or turn their backs on Mr. Obama, as some conservative student groups have urged, it would not be the first time Notre Dame graduates have signaled disagreement with a visiting president. When President George W. Bush spoke at the commencement in 2001, many students wore armbands signaling their opposition to his support of the death penalty.

Next time, don't make statements you can't back up.
Your bigotry isn't worth arguing with anymore. You've made my ignore list.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Oh i missed the part where they refused to give Bush the honorary degree. Can you highlight for me?

Thanks.

Hypocrite.

Oh and before you run your mouth off why don't you actually respond to what is written. I called the Conservative Catholic organizations hypocrites not the students. Please provide a link that reports these same groups asking ND not to give Bush a degree.

If you can't respond honestly dont bother. I dont have time to educate you.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

As for the OP, the quoted source is merely a BLOG, one person's opinion. The Vatican will not step in.

Doesn't look like it does it?

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Night Watchman

Oh i missed the part where they refused to give Bush the honorary degree. Can you highlight for me?

Thanks.

Hypocrite.

Oh and before you run your mouth off why don't you actually respond to what is written. I called the Conservative Christian organizations hypocrites not the students. Please provide a link that reports these same groups asking ND not to give Bush a degree.

If you can't respond honestly dont bother. I dont have time to educate you.

lol oh man i love this guy can you be more of a pompus ass

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Why so rude? How you can you claim the high ground when your attitude stinks? ATS doesn't need your hostility.

How can you think that bush supporting the murder of people convicted of murder is even remotely in the same class of Obama supporting the slaughter of not only the innocent unborn but the practice of literaly throwing live infants in the trash can?

Such a sick world we have made.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   

lol oh man i love this guy can you be more of a pompus ass

Seriously friend, have you anything of substance to add here? You've already been proven wrong and you won't even admit it.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   
below you will find two Catholic responses, neither mention Vatican involvement, only a call to Catholics to let their embarassment known to the university. they have no interest in uniniviting him, as that would be rude.

www.catholic.org...www.catholicnewsagency.com...

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by searching4truth
below you will find two Catholic responses, neither mention Vatican involvement, only a call to Catholics to let their embarassment known to the university. they have no interest in uniniviting him, as that would be rude.

Again, my question is, why was there not a similar outcry when Bush spoke last year? If someone can explain to me how that is not supremely hypocritical I would really appreciate it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join