It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Catholic TV Says Vatican Will Step In-- Obama Will Be Disinvited to Notre Dame

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Catholic TV Says Vatican Will Step In-- Obama Will Be Disinvited to Notre Dame

gatewaypundit.blogspot.com...

Rumors are spreading that the Vatican will step in and correct the mistake by Notre Dame of inviting the most radical pro-abortion and infanticide president in history to Commencement this weekend.
Fighting Irish Thomas has more on this Catholic news:

Real Catholic TV's Michael Voris told us that the Vatican itself is on the verge of stepping in to stop the South Bend sacrilege ... but at the same time urged viewers to say the full twenty decades of the rosary for Notre Dame so that the prelates don't lose their nerve.

Also, Amy Procter has more including video.

Well this could get interesting.

Will have to keep my eye on the situation.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Even by Catholic Church standards, this would be an incredibly stupid decision. Since when does a school only invite Commencement speakers with who they politically agree?

I'm reasonably certain that Obama is not going to be encouraging the students in attendance to have abortions.

On second thought, maybe ND should un-invite him and ask the Pope to come speak. He can talk about our responsibility as Christians to care for the those who most need our protection.

You know, like little boys who should be protected from child molesters.

That would work.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   

It very well could be a mistake, I guess they have the right, do they?

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   
The students didn't want him there so he's uninvited i don't get why thats such a big deal

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

It very well could be a mistake, I guess they have the right, do they?

If this is how they are going to interact with Catholic Universities, they will soon all be out of business. These are institutions of higher education. While there is, of course, Catholic doctrine taught at the schools, it is still the responsibility of secondary educational institutions to provide a balanced educational experience.

They are not Seminaries.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by WisdomInChains
The students didn't want him there so he's uninvited i don't get why thats such a big deal

I didn't know the students didn't want him there.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Watchman

I see.

They do not answer to the vatican?

Mod Note: Trim Those Quotes - Please Review this link

[edit on 13-5-2009 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   

A majority of the students don't want him? Please provide a link to substantiate that.

If, indeed, a majority of the student body of a major American University opt not to have the President of the US speak at their graduation, we are doomed as a nation.

It's not true of course but I await WIC's links.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   

The University can do as it pleases. The Church can sever it's ties with the school of course but if they are going to impose these kinds of closed minded and hypocritical decisions then the American Catholic Church will soon be dead.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   

The University can do as it pleases.

I see, will if this is true, like I said, it should be interesting, and not in a good way.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I live in Elkhart, IN, 30 mins from Notre Dame. I have done work at ND and know a few people there. There have been demonstrations there already where people have been arrested. They were gathering on private property. Rev. Jenkins. the president there, has not backed down yet from pressure by many sources to uninvite President Obama. He seems quite firm in his belief that President Obama should be welcomed to speak at commencement

Statement
president.nd.edu...

Hopefully I pasted that right.
I personally feel that there is no real reason that he should be uninvited. As I think someone posted before. It would be impossible to have any one there that the Catholic church does not have some disagreement in beliefs with. Other than the obvious of having the Pope himself.

[edit on 5/13/2009 by tekwolf]

[edit on 5/13/2009 by tekwolf]

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Night Watchman

If, indeed, a majority of the student body of a major American University opt not to have the President of the US speak at their graduation, we are doomed as a nation.

Would you have said the same thing if one year ago a univesity turned away George W. Bush?

I do agree with the jist of your post. Obama is a man that commands the honor and prestige that the office of the President of the USA brings. It would be silly for a school to turn him away.

I am graduating this weekend and our graduation speaker is nowhere near the stature of Barack Obama. If Notre Dame does not want Obama, maybe my school can have him....

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
You know I don't like Obama, and I am anti abortion, but once invited it seems tasteless to uninvite.

Kinda reminds me of something done here on the forum, a couple days ago.

You just don't offer people something and then take it away,

bad karma, very bad karma has befallen us.

[edit on 093131p://bWednesday2009 by Stormdancer777]

[edit on 093131p://bWednesday2009 by Stormdancer777]

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by hotpinkurinalmint

watch out for those large quotes, hotpink.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by hotpinkurinalmint
Would you have said the same thing if one year ago a univesity turned away George W. Bush?

That is a fair question, hotpink and the answer is, absolutely yes. I would have said the very same thing had a University attempted to rescind an invitation to George W. Bush.

What message are we sending to college graduates if we only allow speakers who's world view is agreeable to those who run the University? Aren't we supposed to be providing a wide range of point of view for them?

You are graduating this year and the very fact that you are a member on this message board tells me that you are interested in reading divergent opinions on important topics. That is as it should be.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   
They should allow him to come as requested. Then have teleprompter technical issues and watch him stutter and stammer through 30 minutes of "oratorical greatness".

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi
They should allow him to come as requested. Then have teleprompter technical issues and watch him stutter and stammer through 30 minutes of "oratorical greatness".

funny
too

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I have a question for any and all who may be privy to the mindset of those who feel that the POTUS should not be welcomed at an outstanding bastion of higher learning and enlightenment.

If (shudders at the thought) Mitt Romney had been elected president, would he be welcomed? He may conform to their views on abortion but after that things really get murky. Being a Mormon that is, which is about as non-catholic as you can get. You know...Jesus came to America with the lost tribes and the silver tablets discovered and miraculously translated through divine intervention by a man of somewhat questionable character (con man).

Just a thought. And yes, I may be a little skeptical of the LDS church but I live ten miles from the marvelous Hill Cumorah where those wonderful tablets were "discovered" and have been exposed somewhat. Where are those damn things anyway? Sorry, off point.

Where do we draw the line? Just in the last few days his Popeness has been "palling around" with Jews and they don't even believe in Jesus. How dare he. What would those defenders of the faith at Notre Dame think about that?

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by zlots331

If (shudders at the thought) Mitt Romney had been elected president, would he be welcomed? He may conform to their views on abortion but after that things really get murky. Being a Mormon that is, which is about as non-catholic as you can get. You know...Jesus came to America with the lost tribes and the silver tablets discovered and miraculously translated through divine intervention by a man of somewhat questionable character (con man).

Unfortunately, the Catholic Church has become a one-issue organization and have put it well above all other social issues. Thus they would have willingly over looked the many issues on which they would have disagreed with Romney as long as he agrees on the only thing that matters to them some day.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   
no link my cousin goes there he said a large portion of students dont want him there

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join