It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama reverses release of Abuse photos

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Obama is seeking to block the release of 44 photographs depicting abuse

“The publication of these photos would not add any additional benefit to our understanding of what was carried out in the past by small number of individuals,” the president told reporters Wednesday as he left the White House on a two-day trip to the Southwest.

“In fact,' he said, "the most direct consequence of releasing them, I believe, would be to further inflame anti-American opinion and to put our troops in greater danger.”

And, he added, distribution of the photos could also have a “chilling effect on future investigations of detainee abuse.”

The Justice Department had already agreed to release the photos by May 28 in response to a lawsuit, but Obama is shifting course.

Yahoo! News: Obama reverses photo decision

[edit on 13-5-2009 by Allegory of Illumination]

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I don't know what to say about this....

Is there really much that can be done that would put our troops in a worse situation??

Or are the images on the photos that terrible, that they would blow this abuse/torture scenario out of the water??

I understand that you may not want to bring up past instances, or we have greater problems right now to worry about. Our economy and such is more important that bringing these people to justice.

It just seems like not showing the pictures will lead to sweeping it under the rug, and not a further peep about it.

If you are scared that releasing the pictures will do us harm... at least pursue the people that carried out such atrocities. I fear now that keeping this hush hush may make it a bigger problem here to come.

What do you guys think?

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I think you can't bury the truth forever.

it's like Bob Marley said , You can fool some people sometimes, but you can't fool all the people all the time.

[edit on 13-5-2009 by Grey Magic]

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grey Magic
I think you can't bury the truth forever.

it's like Bob Marley , You can fool some people sometimes, but you can't fool all the people all the time.

Bob Marley was a great man.... and he spoke even greater things.

I agree, in this day and digital age.... something tells me the photos and the truth will be popping out eventually.

I'm just hoping it's sooner rather than later.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Obama did not finish his promise :

I have said repeatedly that I intend to close Guantanamo, and I will follow through on that. I have said repeatedly that America doesn't torture. And I'm gonna [sic] make sure that we don't torture. Those are part and parcel of an effort to regain America's moral stature in the world.

He forgot to add ' And If I find any evidence of any torture perpetrated by American agencies , I will endeavour to bury , conceal , deny and otherwise obscurate the very existance of any such evidence to make good my promise . '

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Mr. Obama advised his top military commanders about his decision in a meeting on Tuesday at the White House. Several military officials had argued against the immediate release of the photographs, saying such action could harm American troops in the field.
I agree to this concept of hiding truth. We not are being honest. And who likes like the deceitfulness. Here is another story. The true figures of death have the same reason. It (?such action could harm American troops in the field?. The reason is simple. If I have my friend dying in front of me, I will be low in moral and even leave the army. I will have dreams on his acts and will speak a lot about this and the whole regiment is low. Then who will tell truth. No one. And we are the keepers of ?In God we trust? We are not only inhuman but preach ill. Another reason is, the more you hide the more medias will pay for the uncovering of these truth. Have you seen the UK expenses and the fracases?
Even as Congress hunted for ways to finance a major expansion of health insurance coverage, the Obama administration reported Tuesday that the financial condition of the two largest federal benefit programs, Medicare and Social Security, had deteriorated, in part because of the recession.
I would suggest, if you live honestly, you would live more in the eyes of the human.
David Cameron ordered senior Conservatives to pay back thousands of pounds to the taxpayer yesterday, in a brutal attempt to show that he was getting to grips with the expenses scandal embroiling all parties.
The Tory leader humiliated several members of the Shadow Cabinet by calling them in one by one and telling them the price for remaining in his top team was returning or forgoing sums up to £11,000. He then named them at a Westminster press conference.
?The expenses scandal creates a golden opportunity that cannot be wasted?.
I thank you
Firozali A.Mulla

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Now that the Dems have been brought into the torture mess I think we are going to see a steady decrease of talk about torture.

I have to wonder if he would have done the same if we haven't learned about who was involved the last few weeks.

Time for damage control Democrat style- stop talking about it.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by jd140
Now that the Dems have been brought into the torture mess I think we are going to see a steady decrease of talk about torture.

I have to wonder if he would have done the same if we haven't learned about who was involved the last few weeks.

Time for damage control Democrat style- stop talking about it.

Yeah, listening to some news reports... I hear that the main reason to cover up is not because it will make it worse on our troops... but that the Democrats don't want to be tied down with the word "Torture" the way the Bush regime was for the majority of their rule.

Obama doesn't want his cabinet to even come close to having that linked to with his/their name.

Well I'm glad that some of the pictures ended up getting leaked out either way. It hasn't been all 44 yet. But at least this is getting A LOT of attention now... I hope only more to come.

"The biggest threat to our national security is not releasing the photos, but failing to prosecute those who ordered torture."

new topics

top topics

join