It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

black hole and the milky way?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Sorry....one doesn't even have to 'link' to the site you offer to realize it is not science!!!!

More mumbo-jumbo pseudo-science couched in the latest religious "crisis-du-jour"!!

Sorry, hate to burst anyone's bubbles....but it is bogus, not science, and has no basis in fact.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker

Sorry....one doesn't even have to 'link' to the site you offer to realize it is not science!!!!

More mumbo-jumbo pseudo-science couched in the latest religious "crisis-du-jour"!!

Sorry, hate to burst anyone's bubbles....but it is bogus, not science, and has no basis in fact.

I thinks you shoulda lookied at that webpage. It was science and had nothing to do with apocalyptic prophecies. I'm guessing you didn't read how that poster was for the most part agreeing with you.

eeeeek, you jumped the gun on this one.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   

The Sun "eclipses" the galactic center every year. It has been for as long as the Earth has been orbiting the Sun and it will continue to do so until the Earth stops orbiting the Sun. It is also true that once each year the Earth "eclipses" the galactic center from the Sun's point of view. There is nothing special about it.
Study this image a bit and you'll see that this is true:

Gravitational lensing has nothing to do with a change in gravity but with the way gravity "bends" light.

[edit on 5/13/2009 by Phage]

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by sticky

'sticky'....I read the first paragraph, then scanned the rest. Not impressed.

Here's what was written:

"The Galactic Alignment is the Alignment of the December Solstice sun with the Galactic equator".

I used the spelling and capitalization as read.

First of all...WHO on Earth has defined any sort of 'Galactic equator'??????

BUT, in the beginning of this 'source', it continues: "This alignment occurs as a result of the precession of the equinoxes".

Oh, man!!!

THIS is a 'geocentric' version of how to intrepret the Galaxy, if I have ever seen one!!!!

ALL of the above is double-speak.

ANY reference to the Earth's 'equinox' shows a complete mis-understanding of the greater three-dimensional totality of the Galaxy. (not to mention, the Universe...)

I have shown, because of the math and the definitive references that we are just, as a Solar System, moping along with all the other flotsam and jetsam in our orbit around the central MASSIVE core of our Galaxy...I say 'moping along' altough we, as a Solar System, are moving, in relation to the CORE at about 220KPS.

The impetus to all of this, is likely a massive 'black hole' at the center of our spiral Galaxy. Along with a lot of non-luminous (some call it 'dark') matter...still, just because it is NOT a star, and it doesn't shine with its own light, doesn't mean it doesn't exist!!!

Any sort of 'imaginary' Galactic 'central plane' is as ridiculous as assuming that every few hundred thousand years, or so, the Earth 'crosses' the imaginary 'central plane' that encompasses the Equator of our own Sun!!!!
EDIT....this is [sarcasm]

I've already pointed out that, at the velocity our Solar System is currently travelling, in its orbit as part of the Galaxy....we are moving at about 220KPS. (that's, kilometers per second). At THAT velocity, we will travel one Light Year (about 9.5 Trillion KM) in about 1,364 Earth years.

Since we KNOW we are travelling basically 'horizontially' at 220KPS....I really doubt we are THAT close to the imagined 'Galactic plane'!!!!

Stop the fear-mongering, pour the poisoned Kool-Aid down the drain....DON'T DRINK IT!!!

[edit on 5/14/0909 by weedwhacker]

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 03:22 AM
link   
WW I posted the link since it provides a handy and easily understood image of how the misnomer "galactic alignment" (that's the subject of so much 2012 hype and fears) would appear from the earth, as viewed when watching the sun rise on the December solstice. That is the viewpoint the Mayans would have enjoyed when creating their calendar. The "galactic center", black holes and all is and always has been in our night skies with no negative effects and no doomsday scenarios playing out. From what I've gathered, most people have this misconception that we are entering into some sort of alignment that has never occurred before.

The only possible effect the sun could have would be as a gravitational lens, bending the light from whatever is behind it from our point of view, not that that would even have any undue effect or calamity in store for us.

The "alignment" is nothing more than our sun eclipsing the Milky Way galaxy as it rises during a solstice. Since we are part of the Milky Way we view it edge on, along it's "equator".

That site I linked to might have a biblical apocalypse bend to it, honestly I didn't go into it in that much depth, I only wanted to share the image of the "alignment" as seen from the horizon, without hot-linking to the image directly. It does go into a lot of detail on how various alignments occur due to the earth precession and its relationship to various imaginary lines in our skies.

Otherwise I'm in complete agreement with you that nothing untoward happens on 2012 and it's only how we pitiful earthlings perceive a sunrise.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
reply to post by Aceofclubs

Well...we were influenced early on by the Lunar cycle....about 12 cycles per Earth year. 12 Zodiacs, again because of the Moon, and her cycles.

[edit on 14-5-2009 by ridgeback]

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

Thanks for your posts republican08.

So even if they cannot photograph a black hole ,the way the stars behave around it prove they exist

I find your posts very enlightening ,thank you

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ridgeback

Yes, ridgeback I referred to the wrong influence that the Moon may have had on how we derived our calendar.

More correctly, the Moon presents 12.369 phases per year. So, from a Human standpoint, the number twelve must have seemed magical.

Interesting, also, to consider the Mayans.....

However, I fear that I have strayed from the topic. Except, of course, that we are discussing astronomy, of sorts.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

No. no its the galaxy that is tilted 90 degrees, not US, we are horisontal !

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio

Originally posted by illece
I have been reading about 2012 calendar ...etc there is supposed to be a black hole at the centre of the milky way galaxy that is supposed to do all kinds of trouble to earth and her neighbours.

if true can it cause us trouble seeing how large the distances are

There is a large ammount of evidence that a black-hole, as massive as 100 millions suns, is ensconsed in the Galactic Center (aka Sagitarrius A)

it is a fact that out whole solar system orbits the Galaxy but its a theory that our whole solar system also goes up-&-down/above-&-below the
Galaxy's 'equitorial plane' (an imaginary plane in space)

Now... since the Black-hole at the Galactic core is 26,000 light-years away
and some BH and Magnetic Stars are known to emit life killing Gamma-Ray Bursts(GRBs)....
We just cannot say that a deadly GRB has been traveling through space
for the last 26,000 years---and will hit the Earth in 2012
we are a moving target a it were... but a lot of the thinking RE: 2012 is that 'we' could be 'In-the-wrong-place-at-the-wrong-time'...

or its all just titilating pulp & story telling...you be the judge.

I would like to add something to your post if you don't mind.

You also have to take into consideration that this move above the galactic plane is not the first in the earth's history. In fact it has happened several times.

Life still inhabits the earth. As the person I quoted already stated we are 26000 light years away from the galactic center. That is a huge distance! The thought of what 26000 light years really means is beyond anyone's comprehension.

However when we do go above the galactic plane we will be exposed to elevated levels of radiation. Most of which a lot of will be stopped by our atmosphere if we have an ozone layer at the time. I would have more fear of some of the other (yet unproven) 2012 theories than this one.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I dont forsee an apocalyptic type of even occurring when we reach the center of the galaxy. HOWEVER...i do feel SOMETHING WILL happen...it happens with every other planet, even our moon. Tides increase, nights longer etc.
SOMETHING is going to happen...i just dont think its what we imagined.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   
So this does in fact confirm that on the winter solstice of each year the earth and sun are both lined with the galactic center, correct? This is also the exact day the Mayan calendar ends in 2012, and also will be when the sun will be at a peek in solar activity. It's not fear mongering, it's simple facts. Interpret them how you will. Perhaps the alignment will somehow reduce the magnetosphere and we will get hit with radiation from solar flares... or perhaps nothing will happen at all. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

To the OP, it is pretty much conclusive that there is a massive black hole in the center of our galaxy.

[edit on 16-6-2009 by Barcs]

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Barcs

The "alignment" actually happens twice a year. Once when the Sun is between the Galactic center and the Earth and again when the Earth is between the Galactic center and the Sun. Neither necessarily occurs during a solstice (the solstices merely determined by the tilt of the Earth's axis and being completely irrelevant to any cosmic happening). The "alignment" has demonstrated no physical significance in the past, there is no reason to believe it will in the future.

The next Solar maximum is predicted to occur in May of 2013 and to have lower than average sunspot activity.
spaceweather.com...

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by illece
I have been reading about 2012 and the galactic alignment Mayan calendar etc there is supposed to be a black hole at the centre of the milky way galaxy that is supposed to do all kinds of trouble to earth and her neighbours.

I Would like to ask anyone who knows and understands these things,is there a black hole at the centre of the milky way ...........do they actually exist or are they a theory, ......have they been photographed .And if true can it cause us trouble seeing how large the distances are

Ok, so far from what I have seen there is only the Mayan CALENDAR, I haven't seen any Black Holes or Light Beings etc from Mayan's predictions, is there any source for this information? I would like to read more on this.

Thank you in advance.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join