It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

black hole and the milky way?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I have been reading about 2012 and the galactic alignment Mayan calendar etc there is supposed to be a black hole at the centre of the milky way galaxy that is supposed to do all kinds of trouble to earth and her neighbours.

I Would like to ask anyone who knows and understands these things,is there a black hole at the centre of the milky way ...........do they actually exist or are they a theory, ......have they been photographed .And if true can it cause us trouble seeing how large the distances are

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Yep, there is a Super Massive Black Hole in the center of our galaxy, until further notice.

Its not as much that but were supposedly supposed to pass through the galactic rift, in 2012. Which if DNA rNA sporatically changed, itd explain alot, but the main speculation is that, nothing will happen.

Seems weird that everyone has reached the conclusion that nothing is ever going to happen anywhere at any time....

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

I've done some calculations. Our Solar System is orbiting the center of the Galaxy at about 220KPS.

At that speed we cover one Light Year (9,460,800,000,000 KM) in about 1,364 years.

Now, since we're orbiting horizontally, or roughly parallel to the imaginary "plane" of the Galaxy....ummm....I don't see any imminent danger.

Funny what a little science will do. Sheds light on the Dark Age mindset.....

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Trust me I don't foresee any danger, except maybe mass hysteria.

Also to add to the OP, they haven't photographed a black hole, because well it's impossible, but they have photographed stars around it, and it acts in the way as if there was a black hole there. That's about the closest we can get to photographing it.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   
so is this galactic equator a real thing like our equator or just some man made idea that thats the equator of the galaxy, please explain

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by illece
I have been reading about 2012 calendar ...etc there is supposed to be a black hole at the centre of the milky way galaxy that is supposed to do all kinds of trouble to earth and her neighbours.

if true can it cause us trouble seeing how large the distances are

There is a large ammount of evidence that a black-hole, as massive as 100 millions suns, is ensconsed in the Galactic Center (aka Sagitarrius A)

it is a fact that out whole solar system orbits the Galaxy but its a theory that our whole solar system also goes up-&-down/above-&-below the
Galaxy's 'equitorial plane' (an imaginary plane in space)

Now... since the Black-hole at the Galactic core is 26,000 light-years away
and some BH and Magnetic Stars are known to emit life killing Gamma-Ray Bursts(GRBs)....
We just cannot say that a deadly GRB has been traveling through space
for the last 26,000 years---and will hit the Earth in 2012
we are a moving target a it were... but a lot of the thinking RE: 2012 is that 'we' could be 'In-the-wrong-place-at-the-wrong-time'...

or its all just titilating pulp & story telling...you be the judge.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio

I have been reading about 2012 calendar ...etc there is supposed to be a black hole at the centre of the milky way galaxy that is supposed to do all kinds of trouble to earth and her neighbours.

if true can it cause us trouble seeing how large the distances are

There is a large ammount of evidence that a black-hole, as massive as 100 millions suns, is ensconsed in the Galactic Center (aka Sagitarrius A)

it is a fact that out whole solar system orbits the Galaxy but its a theory that our whole solar system also goes up-&-down/above-&-below the
Galaxy's 'equitorial plane' (an imaginary plane in space)

Now... since the Black-hole at the Galactic core is 26,000 light-years away
and some BH and Magnetic Stars are known to emit life killing Gamma-Ray Bursts(GRBs)....
We just cannot say that a deadly GRB has been traveling through space
for the last 26,000 years---and will hit the Earth in 2012
we are a moving target a it were... but a lot of the thinking RE: 2012 is that 'we' could be 'In-the-wrong-place-at-the-wrong-time'...

or its all just titilating pulp & story telling...you be the judge.

actually its not sagittarius its the constellation ophiucus(sp?)...... which is depicted as a man battling or holding a snake stepping on scorpio's stinger.... which iswhere the sag bow points to.. will something happen? idk... do u want it to? people have powerful minds... im sure whatever is being used to see planet alignment might be drawn out as we see it is seen from earth.. it might be in our best interest to work with the scientific astro map... (more accurate)

137.229.36.30... look at what happened on 'raise the vibrations' day may 9th... people meditated to raise the positive vibrations on earth......so again... do u want something to hppen? : )

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
The supermassive black hole at the center of the galaxy spins, and that spin has caused it to spread out like a dish into the galaxy. When we cross over the galactic rift or equator, we will feel effects from it. At the same time, the solar cycle will be blasting away at it's maximum, and the sun will be at one point directly between the earth and the galactic center, on the equator, on Dec 21st 2012. The possibilities are endless for speculation.

1. The Earth's orbit changes.
2. The solar max is amplified causing mass extinction level events
3. The Earth "flips" because of the lenzing effect of the sun on the Earth with the sun acting like a magnetic magnifying lens.
4. We have a wonderful Christmas and a happy new yesr.

But we still have to make it past September when they finally go mad and use the LHC at CERN.

[edit on 13-5-2009 by Fromabove]

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   

I have been reading about 2012 and the galactic alignment Mayan calendar etc there is supposed to be a black hole at the centre of the milky way galaxy that is supposed to do all kinds of trouble to earth and her neighbours.

I Would like to ask anyone who knows and understands these things,is there a black hole at the centre of the milky way ...........do they actually exist or are they a theory, ......have they been photographed .And if true can it cause us trouble seeing how large the distances are

more info here:
www.msnbc.msn.com...

Like ballerinas pirouetting around an invisible leader, a collection of stars orbits our galaxy's gravity sink, or black hole. New infrared images of the cosmic dance confirm that this supermassive black hole weighs as much as 4 million suns.

Supermassive black holes can weigh as much as a billion suns or more and are thought to reside at the centers of most, if not all, galaxies. They can't be seen, because their gravity is so powerful it traps even light, but astronomers infer their presence by watching the motions of stars and gas around them.

Over a period of 16 years, beginning in 1992, researchers monitored 28 stars orbiting the Milky Way's central region, where the supermassive black hole called Sagittarius A* is thought to lurk.
Story continues below ?advertisement | your ad here

By watching how the central stars orbited Sagittarius A*, to which they are gravitationally bound, the researchers inferred properties of the black hole itself, such as mass and distance. They found that at least 95 percent of the mass affecting the stars must be within the black hole. Results gave a precise distance of 27,000 light-years from Earth to the presumed black hole. One light-year is the distance light will travel in a year, or about 6 trillion miles (10 trillion km).

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Aceofclubs

Even the Earth's Equator is simply a calculated reference line.

The Earth wobbles slightly (precesses) on its axis. SO, to determine the exact center of each 'pole', or the imaginary axis, it has to be an accepted average. Based on that, the 'grid' was developed to locate places on the globe.

But, now it begs a question: On considering such a massive structure as our own Galaxy, a chaotic mass of visible stars that number in the hundreds of billions of masses, all moving in their own chatic way, like an eddy of water molecules...not to mention all of the mass that doesn't radiate visible light, and is therefore "dark", just HOW will we determine an imaginary 'axis' and a right-angle 'plane'? THAT will likely be necessary to accomplish someday. Some sort of 'galactic' three-dimensional system of co-ordinates will have to be invented. Maybe it already exists???
Meaning, some higher intellect has already developed something....but, that is for another thread.

Back to Earth...we accept the 360 degrees in a circle thing, but WHY? Just because it's easily divisible by twelve? Why not 400 degrees, 100 per quadrant? Why not, for that matter, a new 'second' defined as 100 'seconds' to one 'minute', 100 'minutes' to one 'hour'....etc...

Well...we were influenced early on by the Lunar cycle....about 12 cycles per Earth year. 12 Zodiacs, again because of the Moon, and her cycles.

SO, you see....IF the Moon orbited ten times for every one time the Earth completed one orbit about the Sun, then we'd all have a much different reference when it came to measuring time. We are simply a victim of our circumstances, and we adopted a system of measurement to accomodate our observations.

Sorry for going on so long, but there is a great deal to understand when it comes to things astronomical......

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Fromabove

Fromabove, please do not simply spout unscientific nonsense!!!

A 'black hole' doesn't "spread out" as you suggest, for 26,000 Light Years!!!

Honestly, it's OK to have an imagination, and an opinion. BUT, there is a difference between 'science' and 'fantasy'.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Pauligirl

Pauligirl, nice linky you bring there!

I'd quibble with it only on this point: It says a LY is 10 Trillion KM....I did the math, and it is closer to 9.5 Trillion KM...9,460,800,000,000 KM to be exact. (this is based on 300,000KM/Sec times 60X60X24X365). EDIT: But, that's only an approximation.....

Regards!!

ps....what's a half a trillion KMs between friends, right?? Convert that to Dollars or Euros, and it's just a drop in the bucket!!

[edit on 5/13/0909 by weedwhacker]

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
reply to post by Pauligirl

Pauligirl, nice linky you bring there!

I'd quibble with it only on this point: It says a LY is 10 Trillion KM....I did the math, and it is closer to 9.5 Trillion KM...9,460,800,000,000 KM to be exact. (this is based on 300,000KM/Sec times 60X60X24X365). EDIT: But, that's only an approximation.....

Regards!!

ps....what's a half a trillion KMs between friends, right?? Convert that to Dollars or Euros, and it's just a drop in the bucket!!

There were probably trying to keep it to nice round numbers for us math dummies. Once it gets past 3 commas I'm lost anyway.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Fromabove, please do not simply spout unscientific nonsense!!!

A 'black hole' doesn't "spread out" as you suggest, for 26,000 Light Years!!!

Honestly, it's OK to have an imagination, and an opinion. BUT, there is a difference between 'science' and 'fantasy'.

www.youtube.com...

There you go...

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   
There is only speculation about what will really happen when the earth and sun align exactly with the center of the galaxy.

I tend to believe that even science can only guess as well.

I know one thing, I'll be selling popcorn on the corner of Hollywood and Vine.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Consider the source....it only took me until 1:34 when the idiot says ..."all galaxies are flat and circular..."

WRONG!!!

There are many shapes of galaxies. Ellipticals are most common, actually.

(---pause---it's the finale of 'Lost'...)

An example of a "ring" galaxy":

upload.wikimedia.org...

Here is a 'Lenticular' galaxy:

upload.wikimedia.org...

This is called an "interacting" galaxy:

upload.wikimedia.org...

AND, here is a 'starburst' galaxy:

upload.wikimedia.org...

EDIT...well, I guess everyone in the Eastern Time Zone has seen the 'finale' of Lost...but, NO Spoilers!!!! Shhhhhhhh!!!!

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Consider the source....it only took me until 1:34 when the idiot says ..."all galaxies are flat and circular..."

WRONG!!!

There are many shapes of galaxies. Ellipticals or most common, actually.

(---pause---it's the finale of 'Lost'...)

I gotta agree with weedwhacker on this one, I saw that video like almost 6 months ago, and doing more research on it we find that the black hole's gravitational force is very weak once we reach our position in the galaxy. Even when we cross this galatic plane, aka the event horizon's plane.

on a side note...
My favorite one is still that science can't prove that nothing will happen either. The only thing we can attempt to interpet is prophecy. Thus, it can never be proven, and we all just have to wait and see.
(see above popcorn statement)

[edit on 13-5-2009 by sticky]

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

i do appreciate accuracy, and have a deep love for science....that being said: i think you take it a might bit too far with this particular topic. annoying, actually.

in the field of mathematics, there is a constant struggle between the complexity and the completeness of the system. the same is true of science. unfortunately, your dismissal of this topic rests largely upon your incorrect assumption that our system of sciences is complete. conversely, you ignore the inherent complexity as irrelevant.

there is a reason that (excuse the cliche example) people identify so personally with the Matrix movies. the primary reason for this fascination is that the movie illustrates a statistical anomaly coming to fruition, which is what the 2012 event is.

as to the comment about the reference scale used (360 degrees in a circle) i say this: what is important is not the scale, but its correlation with reality. to say that the equator is just some "random reference line" is nonsense. the reference line exists with or without the scale.

in that sense, there most definitely is a center line of the galaxy. and there most certainly is a single moment when we will cross that line. and, because i am a man of synchronicity, i include this equatorial crossing in my assessment of the waaay too many signs pointing to "yes" for an apocolyptic event in our not too distant future.

[edit on 14-5-2009 by tgidkp]

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by sticky

Thanks, sticky

Yes, of course, science can't explain everything. No big surprise there.

But, what should be well understood, as to gravity, is how incredibly weak it is, as one of the 'four forces' that physicists are studying, in the drive to find a TOE (Theory Of Everything).

We have the 'four forces' (drumroll): The 'strong' and 'weak' Nuclear forces (that's two), electromagnetic force (three) and, finally...gravity.

Gravity is weak....it diminishes as the inverse square of distance. This means, for any given distance away from a mass, when you move twice as far away the effect of the gravity from that mass is less by the square of the distance. Hence....gravity is VERY, VERY weak!!

(Hint...26,000 LY is a long, long long way aways....)

IN fact, even the mass of the black hole, and accompanying stellar masses in the vicinity don't account for the cohesiveness of our Galaxy. Thus, the supposition of the so-called "dark matter"...only called that because it, if it exists (and the math tends to lean that way) it doesn't luminesce on its own....thus, 'dark'. By that criteria, EVERY planet in every star system would meet that definition.

But, back to 'spiral galaxies'....it could be posited, in theory, that well before our Sun was formed OUR Galaxy was shaped differently. A compilation of forces, with enough time, and the earlier stars could have all coalesced, over the billions of years required, to form the 'core' of the massive "thing" in the center...gravitational forces, even weak as they are at a distance, eventually result in the 'spiral' form.

Not every galaxy evolves the same way. BUT, when you consider that there are Billions(I EDIT here...should have said HUNDREDS of Billions) of galaxies...odds just allow many different results.

Notice, please. I always refer to OUR Galaxy with a capital 'G'. Just as I refer to OUR star as the 'Sun'...or, better yet, 'Sol'. AS IN....'Solar System'.

"Solar System" means our star, 'Sol'. IF you went to another star system, that would be a star with a system of planets, it would have a different name. For instance -- 'Rigel'. That would be the name of the star. In English, I guess you could call it the 'Rigelar System', IF it had planets.

"Rigelian" tends to roll off of the tongue, but that would more correctly pertain to any denizens that may inhabit the star system, if the planets are capable of life...but, IF there are intelligent inhabitants, then they may, as we do, name themselves after thier planet of origin, NOT their star.

YOU see? WE call ourselves 'Humans'. We could be referred to as 'Terrans', in the English/Latin language, since 'terra' means 'earth'.

We would likely never refer to ourselves as 'Solarians'....

Alright....I've gone on a bit, because this is a stimulating subject.

To summarize: 2012 as it relates to some sort of "Galactic Plane" encounter and EOTE (end of the earth) scenario?? Highly unlikely.

On the other hand....IF this concerted attention to a possible future event that is (unlikely...well, virtually 'impossible'...)---IF it draws some attention, in even the least little bit, so that people begin to learn the science of astronomy, and celestial mechanics....then, well, it is a great thing because it will expand knowledge!!!

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Probably the best descriptive website out there on the "alignment" taking place 2012:

Bibliotecapleyades.net

The sun has been rising during the December solstice in alignment with the Milky Way since 1998. When Dec 12, 2012 rolls around the sun will be as closely aligned with the "nuclear bulge" of the galactic equator as ever. It will complete the passage in 2016. It's much like an eclipse, our sun will eclipse the Milky Way galactic center for a number of years each December solstice until it has completed its transit.

Will the sun have a gravitational lensing effect on the nuclear bulge at the center of the galaxy as we perceive it? If it were, wouldn't we be feeling its effect already?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join