It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will Marketing Kill Social Media?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
An interesting article that I thought some might appreciate.

The challenges that our hosts face are many, the fickle nature of the ATS community is only one.

Some are more sensitive to the marketing aspects of the phenomenon we call ATS. Perhaps none more than Skeptic Overlord himself.

If for no other reason, I offer this article, if anyone is interested.

Anyone reading this post is likely to be someone who spends some, if not all, of his or her time at work trying to make use of social media to market products & brands. We spend hours trying to maximize the benefit for our employers or clients from sites such as Facebook, YouTube & Twitter as well as the millions of blogs that litter the web. And yet I’ve started to wonder whether these very activities might not result in exactly the opposite result to the one we’re hoping for....

Be well.

[edit on 13-5-2009 by Maxmars]

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Important topic, good source article. Flagged, but couldn't star. (No stars???)

I don't know the answer to this one, but I sure hope someone figures it out right quick. Maybe our guys here at ATS are on the right track, ya think?

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I thought it was because it was a board business thread - so there are no stars here.... but maybe I'm wrong. I just noticed that too. How odd.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
That's a really interesting article - thanks for posting it, Maxmars.

Following a link in that article landed me at BusinessInsider.com, where there's an analysis of some of the problems facing YouTube that seems relevant to any discussion of marketing and supporting user-generated material.

Presumably, the videos YouTube is already monetizing represent the best content available, with diminishing returns as they reach deeper and deeper into a repository rife with copyright violation, the indecent, the uninteresting, and the unwatchable. Hulu claims to be charging a $30 CPM, of which roughly 70% goes to the copyright holder. Averages for other proprietary content hover around the $10 CPM mark. CPMs for user-generated content, assuming you can attract the advertisers, tend to be measured in fractions of a dollar.

I'm not exactly sure how this would fit here at ATS, but certainly the start of the ATS Press Corps as a quasi-professional (with hopes to move to paying professional soon, I think) source of material could be seen as one way of continuing member-generated content but encouraging marketable member-generated content.

Similarly, the 250/250/250 no-ads reward is as I see it primarily a means of encouraging and rewarding good thread starting: again, the sort of user-generated content that might actually compete with professional content funded by media or marketing sources directly.

Interesting stuff

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

You asked :

Maybe a better question to ask is -

Will marketing kill everything ?

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Here's an interesting perspective. Networks like Amazon use Cloud Computing (many linked computers) - and market the service.

The researchers describe development of a new approach to proteomics data analysis called ViPDAC (virtual proteomics data analysis cluster) that uses Amazon Web Service's inexpensive "cloud computing" service. It allows people to rent processing time on Amazon's powerful servers. The study describes one data analysis that took less than 6 days with ViPDAC, but would have required 140 days on a desktop computer. "For researchers currently without access to large computer resources, this greatly increases the options to analyze their data. They can now undertake more complex analyses or try different approaches that were simply not feasible for them before," the report states.

Cloud Computing Brings Cost Of Protein Research Down-to-earth

Anyone see anything here?

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Well if you look at the history of youtube and why it was created. Is it really any wonder why its not a huge commercial success? You make money on the internet by having a focus or target. Youtube has a lot of traffic and they have spent years trying to figure how to monetize the traffic but I don't think they figured it out. They way it is currently sent up. The web site really only benefits people that can take advantage of youtubes web traffic by sending the visitors else where. Thus making the video publisher some money. Youtube a free web traffic give away site. The owners IMO are really not the top tier beneficiaries of the traffic that they themselves generate. Not much of a business plan if you ask me. Yea you get millions of visitors sucking down bandwidth but how do you make money with that?

I use youtube to help promote clients but its only in additional means of promotion.

There are so many ways to make money on the net and they all start with research and a solid business plan.

I have been using the Internet to make money for businesses over the past 13 years..

new topics

top topics

join