It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth's Spin Slowing, but Time Speeding Up?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by xxpigxx

Maybe the end is near! I have noticed that lately the days seem to have been going by faster.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 01:31 AM
link   
I sense an acceleration as well.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 01:46 AM
link   
My days seem a lot shorter. I try and try to get everything done in a day that I would have a year ago and its just not possible. Maybe I am just getting older and slowing down but dont think so

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by mommy4life

As I've already said....the days are not getting appreciably shorter....your life is getting fuller.

(OK, that is NOT what I said before, but it is what I implied...it is all about perception).

I think it is a fundamental aspect of modern 21st century life, as we know it, in the Western Industrialized Society. (I assume you are a member of the WIS, since you are using a computer. Just now coined the acronym 'WIS'...I now own it!!!!)

See how easy that was??

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Thank God. It would suck if we lost the moon!

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
reply to post by SeeingBlue

HaHa!!! Time 'speeding up'? It's called "growing older".

AHAHAHAHAHAHA!
AHAHAHAHAHAHA!AHAHAHAHAHAHA!

( /me laughing too much loudly)
( /me going and cry in my corner)

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   

As I've already said....the days are not getting appreciably shorter....your life is getting fuller.

(OK, that is NOT what I said before, but it is what I implied...it is all about perception).

I think it is a fundamental aspect of modern 21st century life, as we know it, in the Western Industrialized Society. (I assume you are a member of the WIS, since you are using a computer. Just now coined the acronym 'WIS'...I now own it!!!!)

See how easy that was??

If you agree it's a result of our lives become more full then how would we perceive the opposite, or as before? If true, how would one start to move towards completing more task in a day as they once felt they did?

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by SeeingBlue
I don't understand how our perception of time is accelerating but the earth is slowing it's spin. Wouldn't this make the days feel longer and time feel slower?

Why is it that time feels faster then?

Yes. Time is accelerating right now, we can all feel it. Most of us.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by wastedown
I've been wondering about some things that we think we know about the Universe. Scientists now say that the Universe is constantly getting bigger so this means it started exponentially smaller like atom size or smaller. If the Earth is getting bigger this would absolutly alter the length of time any given point is accesable to the sun in essence altering time. I'm not talking about how long a second is but how many seconds are in each day. Even a small rate of change would end up being a large change when added to the change that has already occured. It takes longer for a marked point on a 20" tire to make a full revolution than an 18" that is spinning at the same rate and that amount of time grows more as you increase the size it only seems logical that the same thing applies to the Earth and the rest of the Universe also. If this is true how do we compensate for these changes ? While they are miniscule when added up over the years it could equal some signifigant changes that have occured and continue to occur as we speak

I remember as a child Daylight Savings Time actually gave us more time in the evening as I had to beat the streetlights and it didn't get dark until about 9:00 in the summer, while now it's dark by 7:30 or so.

I'm sure we will get some good explinations here by much smarter people than myself and I can't wait for the insight.

TIME doesn't grow FFS if the circumference of the tyre increased the distance travelled increased if the speed stays the same.ie one rotation per second/min/hour all that changes is distance travelled
One second is still one second think about it!

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by wmd_2008

That's exactly what I'm saying. A second is still a second but the larger a circumfrence gets (if it is spinning at the same rate) the longer it would take to make a full revolution because it is traveling a longer distance. For example if Earth and Jupiter were spinning at the exact same speed it would definatly take Juipter a longer amount of time to make a revolution because it is bigger. If you put two wheels on a single axle one smaller than the other and apply the same force to each of them at the same rate it would not go straight forward it would turn in a constant circle with the smallest wheel on the inside of the circle. When you add the fact that the Earth is slowing down and the Universe is getting bigger I see only one conclusion...It will take longer for the Earth to make a revolution therefore a longer day, and everyday we drift further from the sun (be it miniscule amounts) so therefore a longer year. Not at all a drastic change in any single lifetime but a change none the less. It cannot be denied that eventually this will be of great concern to mankind, all be it many generations after we are all gone.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   

That's exactly what I'm saying. A second is still a second but the larger a circumfrence gets (if it is spinning at the same rate) the longer it would take to make a full revolution because it is traveling a longer distance. For example if Earth and Jupiter were spinning at the exact same speed it would definatly take Juipter a longer amount of time to make a revolution because it is bigger. If you put two wheels on a single axle one smaller than the other and apply the same force to each of them at the same rate it would not go straight forward it would turn in a constant circle with the smallest wheel on the inside of the circle. When you add the fact that the Earth is slowing down and the Universe is getting bigger I see only one conclusion...It will take longer for the Earth to make a revolution therefore a longer day, and everyday we drift further from the sun (be it miniscule amounts) so therefore a longer year. Not at all a drastic change in any single lifetime but a change none the less. It cannot be denied that eventually this will be of great concern to mankind, all be it many generations after we are all gone.

BUT time is NOT changing its distance if the wheel or planet gets bigger ONE SECOND IS STILL ONE SECOND!!! A day may get longer but time is not changing!!!

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   
i noticed this whole time accelerating thing in my first year of college. since then time just flies by. and i heard many people say this. without me saying it first having them agree

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Again that's exactly what I'm saying A second is a second absolutly with out a doubt no questions there. What I am saying is now as in right now this very second it takes Earth 24 hours to make a revolution, in the future it will be 24 hours and one second then 24 hours and 2 seconds and so on until it all comes to an end.

The days do feel shorter as we grow older I can't explain that other than we stay active more and time flies when your having fun. Thats not what I'm talking about here. What I'm talking about is the way we measure time in relation to the size of the Earth and it's orbit around the sun which are both constantly changing therfore "time" as we know it is also changing at avery small rate constantly. This proves to me to be some very complicated math that I can't even imagine knowing how to keep up with. Again it is not the length of a second or even a millisecond or an hour or any measurement of time that I believe is changing it is the amount of time avaliable to any one point on the Earth to be in sunlight. More is the fact that I'm not talking about time speeding up as in the OP if the way I'm thinking is right our days should be getting longer because we are exposed to the sun for a greater amount of time be it milliseconds a year it is still more time. At some point an "Earth Day" as we record a day as one revolution of the Earth will be longer than 24 hours.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   

it didn't get dark until about 9:00 in the summer, while now it's dark by 7:30 or so.

um, it's not summer yet. =)

Time speeding up is just something that happens as you get older. I believe it's based on the perceived length of your life in relation to whatever smaller time period you're examining.

For example - A day to an infant probably feels like an eternity. After all if an infant were able to rationalize it, he would say "I've only been alive for a few days, that's a huge percentage of my lifetime!" Conversely, a day to someone who is 80 is a drop in the bucket.

I think it's compounded by school/jobs - At least for me, I tend to feel sort of spaced out most of the day unless there's something interesting going on. I tend to think of my days in terms of how much time I had to myself to do what I wanted to do. In that respect, my days have become very short.

May really does seem to be flying by...

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Bull# how many #in times has the world ended? don;'t believe that it is ending because it aint so # THIS

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by an0maly33

I Must disagree with you that it's aging that makes time seem "fly by".

I've noted my childern, when in their early teen years speaking of time
seeming to move (so to speak) alot faster.
Now the grandchildren,ages 7yrs to preteen are taking notice of time "flying by".
I've taken notice of this, because I do not recall noticing time "flying by " untill somewhere between the ages of 25 to 30 years old as did others in my age group.

My kids and grandchildren were and are not speaking of fun/leisure time,
there has never been enough time for that.
They are/have been saying: "School went by fast this year","It's Christmas time allready?" or "It seems like I just had my bithday a couple
of months ago."etc..
I've even heard: "We're here allready, that was fast!" instead of "Are we there yet?"

I find their statements highly unusual, because when I was a child extra special occasions seemed to take forever to get here.

[edit on 21-5-2009 by azureskys]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by azureskys
reply to post by an0maly33

I Must disagree with you that it's aging that makes time seem "fly by".

I've noted my childern, when in their early teen years speaking of time
seeming to move (so to speak) alot faster.
Now the grandchildren,ages 7yrs to preteen are taking notice of time "flying by".
I've taken notice of this, because I do not recall noticing time "flying by " untill somewhere between the ages of 25 to 30 years old as did others in my age group.

My kids and grandchildren were and are not speaking of fun/leisure time,
there has never been enough time for that.
They are/have been saying: "School went by fast this year","It's Christmas time allready?" or "It seems like I just had my bithday a couple
of months ago."etc..
I've even heard: "We're here allready, that was fast!" instead of "Are we there yet?"

I find their statements highly unusual, because when I was a child extra special occasions seemed to take forever to get here.

I guess I was more like your grandchildren. To me it feels like things have been continuously speeding up - each year passing quicker than the last.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   

See how easy that was??

well put...i read this awhile ago, a month i think and i have always thought of it...its true time isn't slowing...just our lives are so filled up from waking up to sleep...even before we go to bed we have a "schedule"

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 12:18 AM
link   
So, to chime in on a couple things mentioned in this thread...

I think it's kinda silly to pretend we can measure time at all, when it's something which is perceived, and changes depending on all sorts of circumstances... Whether they be how fast you're traveling relative to the speed of light, or how old you're getting. Furthermore, even if there is an accepted constant, it's well within the abilities of an individual to experience that segment in any way he wants... Certain drugs alter time perception... imagine how many thoughts a high-energy animal has in a second compared to us.

Also, I think we may have a harder time measuring things like the size of the Earth than we let on. We're only just being able to semi-accurately measure coastlines using fractal mathematics.

Doesn't the Sun exude mass quantities of energy every single day? Doesn't energy = mass? Especially when all life on Earth is geared towards no other purpose than to absorb as much sun energy as possible... I believe it's very likely the Earth is growing, and that the solid-crusted pangean growing Earth model is one which deserves some extra consideration.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   
OK, ... i just had a crazy thought, but before I try to rationalize it ill put it down for everyone to disect.

For some reason it occurs to me, ..... if time were to slow down, .... wouldnt we experience it as moving faster ??
you seee, .... you have to see time moving as a constant stream, .... onward to oblivion. ...... if that slows down, ... and the speed of the observer is constant. ...... wouldn't he in fact experience time as speeding up ??? .... that is everything occuring in shorter time spans. moving faster through the stream of time as everything slows down around him ?????

anyone ????

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join