It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Enhanced interrogations' don't work, ex-FBI agent tells panel

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   

'Enhanced interrogations' don't work, ex-FBI agent tells panel

www.cnn.com

Decrease font Decrease font

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The contentious debate over so-called "enhanced interrogation techniques" took center stage on Capitol Hill on Wednesday as a former FBI agent involved in the questioning of terror suspects testified that such techniques -- including waterboarding -- are ineffective.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
So here we have a former FBI agent saying that torture doesn't work. To me, this means much more than the people perpetrating the torture defending it.
This is someone on the inside, who is speaking against it.

Props to this man for having the stones to say what others won't. If only other insiders would stand up and say what we all already know.

Ali Soufan, an FBI special agent from 1997 to 2005, told members of a key Senate Judiciary subcommittee that such "techniques, from an operational perspective, are ineffective, slow and unreliable, and harmful to our efforts to defeat al Qaeda."

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by cautiouslypessimistic

So here we have a former FBI agent saying that torture doesn't work.

For every FBI agent that makes this claim, there are an equal number that will say it does work. This entire issue is too politically loaded to get to the truth with one or two testimonies.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I respect him coming forward here to talk about this but the panel is a dog and pony show this whole thing was put together to placate the democratic parties base and that's it.Don't expect any real investigation from congress.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Could it be possible that some people are jumping on the anti-torture bandwagon to further promote themselves in hopes of some future book, movie, or job?

I personally think that most people would give up the most sensitive of information if tortured. The only way they wouldn't is if they knew that the person torturing them wasn't going to hurt them severely or kill them.

Maybe somebody should make a reality show about torture just to see how much truthful information a person would reveal.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I'm still waiting for Sean Hannity to be waterboarded. If the republicans, conservative, and any other mindless fools are serious, than there's no better way to prove their point than to waterboard Hannity who volunteered for this. However, I think I'm going to be waiting for awhile.

[edit on 13-5-2009 by CuriousSkeptic]

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProfEmeritus
reply to post by cautiouslypessimistic

So here we have a former FBI agent saying that torture doesn't work.

For every FBI agent that makes this claim, there are an equal number that will say it does work. This entire issue is too politically loaded to get to the truth with one or two testimonies.
"Truth"? there will be no getting to the bottom of this because neither party wants to rock the boat.What we will get is a bunch of lip service and a handful of declassified documents and that's all.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
I personally think that most people would give up the most sensitive of information if tortured. The only way they wouldn't is if they knew that the person torturing them wasn't going to hurt them severely or kill them.

Maybe somebody should make a reality show about torture just to see how much truthful information a person would reveal.

Why don't you volunteer to be the first tortured? I'll bet I can make you confess that you ate your own children, parents and PeeWee Herman.

Truthful information......yeah right. People will tell the inquisitor any thing they think they want to hear to make the torture stop.

[edit on 13-5-2009 by whaaa]

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by mike dangerously

What we will get is a bunch of lip service and a handful of declassified documents and that's all.

Yes, that is the point I was making. It is all politics, as are most issues unfortunately.

top topics

join