It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I got a katana, for when there is no ammo.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by chapter29

you would be better of with a single handed double edged clamore, and some molitove cocktales!! just thinking out loud!!

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by RKWWWW

just a min. if you were to get a full size katana made by cold steel you would easily be able to take down at least 70-80 of them before dulling, besides, you are right about his katana, a sixty dollar katana would not only dull after 2 or three, it would most likely break!!

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by downtown436
Let me tell you I'm an expert already because I have watched at least 4 minutes worth of youtube videos on how to chop something in half with a katana...

Oh, well you should be all set then.
Good luck when those zombies show up.

I always knew youtube was good for something....

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by downtown436

The weapon you posted the budk link to is not a Katana, it's a Ninja-to. ALL Katana's have curved blades for slashing. And stainless steel is worthless in any situation, a good high carbon steel would cut it in half without losing it's edge. A true Katana is the best sword ever designed, and a well forged one will never need sharpening. Using a Katana will also not just be a hack-n-slash situation, it takes skill to use one properly. If you want to learn to use on then study Bushido and concentrate that study on the Katana.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Haha. A sword that never needs resharpening? Where do people get this stuff?

A sword is a tool, not a magical trinket. It is subject to the same laws of physics as anything else.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by mattifikation

It is physics. Any forged blade when sharpened correctly hardly needs resharpening. The leading edge on Japanese swords is usually sharpened in a convex manner. Western knives and swords are usually sharpened where the leading edge is either flat or concave. This causes the edge to be weaker, and especially with concave sharpening will cause it to fold over. Blade sharpening is an art, any idiot can use a stone or grinding wheel, but it takes skill to make an edge that has the strength to stand up to use.

What you are cutting tends to build up on the concave sharpened blades, also. Convex sharpening makes the material bend outward from the blade when it is cut, and won't bind it up.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

I actually have a bow, it's a hoyt compound with an overdraw. And believe it or not I have killed 3 black bears. One with the bow, one with a .44 mag, and one with a .300 win mag.

I think I could kill a black bear with the sword I got. I wouldn't want to face a grizzly with it, but it would be better than nothing.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Anuubis

Yeah I realize that the entire premise of my thread is an error, because I don't even really have a katana, nor did I even know what a katana was before starting this thread.

So yeah, I have a ninjato or something like it, only made of worthless, non folded stainless steel, not even suitable for killing cockroaches in a porta potty.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I think you would fair much better with a good sturdy machete. Not only is it an invaluable tool it is an awesome weapon.I got my Kukri machete for around $25. Not only will it chop down small trees but it'll take off a zombie head with ease if you find yourself in your zombie scenario . Mine is a foot an a half long and only weighs about one pound. It's small enough for close quarter combat and can be used with one hand. If you insist on keeping your sword my advice is get some lessons in using it.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   
i think it TSHTF, it would be cool to have a little of everything laying about. you know, a couple guns, a bow, and some sharp things. even if your ninjato might not be the best, hey it still looks cool and could be useful. have you considered getting a spear too?

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ellirium113

Zombies??? Is this for a game?

Mod Note: Excessive Quoting – Please Review This Link

[edit on Fri May 15 2009 by Jbird]

HAHAHHA YES...HE BOUGHT TO PLAY WII ... this katana has a motion sensor!

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by SpacePunk

There's a big difference between "hardly needs resharpening" and "will never need to be resharpened." Of course, a great blade will hold its edge for a long time, through a lot of use. But no steel is indestructible, and therefor neither are edges that are made out of it.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 12:57 AM
link   
So what is wrong with reloading shotgun ammo with homemade powder (recipes readily available) and cast slugs and shot with lead from car batteries? I'd rather shoot a Katana-wielding guy from 50 yards than get mixed up in a sword fight.

Don't show up at a gunfight with a sword. Just some advice.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by subject x

Originally posted by downtown436
Let me tell you I'm an expert already because I have watched at least 4 minutes worth of youtube videos on how to chop something in half with a katana...

Oh, well you should be all set then.
Good luck when those zombies show up.

I always knew youtube was good for something....

I had a great laugh about cutting the shipping box in half.

After looking at the description and price at the website; All I could think this would be good for would be chopping vegetables...

Really BIG, LEAN, MEAN, GREEN, ZOMBIE vegetables...

Like, GM Zombie Frankenfoods.

Looks really cool too.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by DrMattMaddix

HHAHAHAHAHA Yeah my wife was scared, because I threw the box in the air and chopped it in half, right in the living room.

I trimmed my hedge with it last night, I think it may need to be sharpened now.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by RR98

That is not the question. The sword only comes out when the ammo is all gone. So with no ammo, would you rather have an empty shotgun, or a sword?

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Despite what people have said here, have fun with it. Stainless steel or not, you would be better off than those without a blade.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   
The bond between sword and master is one of respect, ability, and spirit.
One is useless without the other.
In the hands of a master, the sword becomes an extension of the spirit and the will, helping to focus one's energy.
To the rest of us, a sword is a tool.
No more than a survival knife, yet the sword and it's capabilities, still need to be respected.

First and foremost, in practical context, a sword, even a knife, for that matter, needs to be "FULL TANG". This means solid width, the length of the sword complete through the handle.
On hard hit if the blade is not full tang, will shatter (any) handle, including poured metal. A sword with a drop end tang will slide right out or the handle and render you injured and/or defenseless.

In survival situations, anything that cuts is useful and defense capable.

Through personal experience, and the acquisition of several dozen swords throughout my life, more expensive does not really mean better.
I have purchased some really nice swords, and I will be honest, the Best and most practical of any of them, was actually not that expensive.
I have destroyed every sword I ever had, testing it out practically.
Save for one. I could not kill it. I dulled it and resharpened it and purchased several more.
The sword is like this one.
www.amazon.com...
I beat the hell out of this sword, and resharpened it and beat the hell out of it again and resharpened it again etc.
The one thing I had to do though was, add more cushion and wrapping to the handle. Reverbs.
Once you are used to it though, this sword is great.
I have also 2 short swords More like buie knives, of this make.

I cut 2" tree branches, thick marine rope, banged nails with the back side, which is really thick, and adds a lot of strength, stabbed it through a door panel, chopped down a small tree, cut wire, opened cans, chopped open coconuts, broken windshields and poked a hole in the trunk of a junker car,
stabbed it into asphalt, and broke my pals katana with it.
A turn or 2 on the wheel to fix burrs, a sharpening stone, and a honing stone, and good as new.
Indispensable in my book. And it's cheap.
As far as defense goes, I am dead when I face down a ninja for sure, but I know how to conceal and handle a sword and I am not a novice.
Once again as stated before, training is the key.
Don't assume that just because you have a tool you will know how to use it.
After all a pen can be just as deadly as a sword, and it's only a pen.

[edit on 18/5/2009 by reticledc]

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by reticledc

Man, I almost got that sword. Now that you mention it, for 20$ maybe I will get one of those too. It was definately in my shopping cart at one point.

What do you recommend for practicing? What are some good sword training drills?

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
How about wsome small pebbles and a slingshot.... Maybe a steel baseball bat?

I own a 6 foot solid steel rod I got from an old factory of some type... It has threads on the top but not the bottom... God awful heavy thing but if you swung it into something it wont stop for something soft and squishy.

I own a crappy machette... But thats more for scareing possums and whacking weeds.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join