It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

250/250/250 Club Helping With Content Quality

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
This is more of an observation versus a question.

In regards to the 250/250/250 thingy that ATS has recently released, I find that it has helped members be more aware of what kind of content they are flagging.

I already see a decrease in the ammount of flags being handed out, which helps weed out the good from the very best of content on the boards.

It's nice to see a more concious approach to what we as a community are deeming worthy content.

Good Job ATS!

~Keeper

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I agree with you, but I think the system could still use some tinkering.

Posts of course are very easy to get, anybody can easily get 250 in a couple days.

Stars are also pretty easy to get - just jump into new threads that look promising, post something that you know a lot of people will agree with, or a quick-witted and funny joke, and, yippee!! 5 stars, 10 stars.......

Flags are really the only thing that are somewhat challenging to get. You have to actually have a knack for finding hot content on the web, or writing very creative and original and thought-provoking OP articles.

My suggestion is to modify the criteria a bit so that it's oriented around Threads and Flags, and remove the Stars and Posts criteria. Call it the "ATS Top Threader" club, or badge, and let people have the badge in their mini-profiles, so they can take a little pride in their hard work

Love it!!

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by MajorDisaster

You'd open up an avenue to create more useless crap however. If you have it done by number of threads then people will just start creating more useless threads.

~Keeper

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Yeah, some members will start creating a lot more threads - but people won't flag the stupid or pointless threads.

Should the ATS membership be trusted to only flag threads that they feel are important, and NOT flag pointless stuff, or not? That's what it really boils down to.

Sure there will be a few cliques/gangs who all agree to flag each other, or people with way too much time on their hands with little armies of sock-puppet-identities abusing the system - but then again, there are always people abusing the system no matter how it's set up

We shouldn't let the abusers ruin it for the good apples!

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Sorry, I just have to say that I don't like the thought of a "club" here on ATS. We're all members here. Just because one doesn't participate in the same way as another doesn't demean their contribution. Just because you've got the criteria to have the ads from showing doesn't mean that it make anyone any better than another. That's my opinion folks.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Hopefully this won't turn into a Star Belly Sneech conundrum. Anyone remember that story from Dr. Seuss where the Star Belly Sneeches were basically elites distinguishable by the stars on their bellies. Wanting to become elites, the regular Sneeches paid a dude to put stars on their bellies, the original star bellies wanting to remain distinguished from the others were paying to have theirs removed and it turned into a vicious circle.

The Dude with the star applying and removal machine was making a killing though.

In the end they were all happy and realized they were all really the same inside.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I personally don't care much for the points, flags, threads, clubs, etc. etc. You could take them all away today and in the end I will still be a member. I enjoy this site for its content, its members, and the overall atmosphere. The content is top notched and covers a wide range of subjects. Its members are determined to get to the truth of the matter, are willing to provide sources, and are pretty much respectful of each other. The atmosphere is relaxing. Sure things heat up from time to time, but in the end cooler heads prevail.

However, I am sure many members do enjoy the extra things this site provide. For many, it is a sense of pride and motivation for a job well done. I see no reason why they shouldn't be entitled to a little extra for their contribution, especially if it encourages them to continue to post some excellent material. To those in the 250/250/250 club, I say

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Kellter

LOL! I remember that. And the merchant who owned the machine disappeared from town one day and nobody could have the stars added or erased from their tummies. Then they realized how silly they had all been.

Anyways, I do kind of wish the discussion over this feature would start to die down. It's just a nice little 'thank you' and perk to members. I hate to see it be a source of controversy, contention, or any elitism. It's just a little token for those who have reached a certain level of contribution.

[edit on 5/13/2009 by AshleyD]

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Well said, I gues the word club is a little demeaning to the rest of the members, I'll give you that.

I simply could not think of another term to put on it.

~Keeper

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Sorry, I just have to say that I don't like the thought of a "club" here on ATS. We're all members here. Just because one doesn't participate in the same way as another doesn't demean their contribution. Just because you've got the criteria to have the ads from showing doesn't mean that it make anyone any better than another. That's my opinion folks.

But, there are already "clubs" here on ATS anyway, intrepid. "Conspiracy Expert", "FSME", "Document Archivist", Writers/Fighters/Scholars, FCP etc etc.

Seriously, what would be the harm in having one more? One more mini-profile badge that people can earn through hard work and dedication to the site?

Sure, maybe there are a small number of members that are widely disliked, and we don't really want that member getting their badge of honor and standing out from the crowd, but overall, it's a great idea, don't you think?

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
It seems like everybody has a way that they like to work within the site but one thing always seems to stand out. The biggest issue here is to "Get More"
More posts, stars, flags, and so on.
Maybe the 'less is more' approach would be good to consider.
I'd like to see what would happen if they put a limit a limit on the number of threads an individual can start in a given period of time. Say, 4 a week with a maximum of one in any 24 hour period. This would force contributors to weigh out the merits of their threads and possibly add quality to content as it reduces the quantity of repetitious and duplicated threads.
This opinion obviously comes from a member that has few threads started so I'm more biased. The truth is that I usually find a new thread with the same topic I was about to post or when I do a topic search I find myriads of old threads that have covered the same ground that I was going to address.
I simply think that if you want better quality, then quantity might be a good place to go for less, rather than more. This would reduce the number of flags a person could concieveaby get but might add some effort to refine the content.
Just a thought.

Having said that, congrats to the members of the 3/4 grand club.

[edit on 13-5-2009 by badgerprints]

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   
You know it goes both ways, if people don't like a person, no matter how good the topic they will ignore it or not flag and star,

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Well maybe not

I picked up 6 flags since the 250-250-250 debuckle. A good thread will pick up flags even if people don't care for the poster IMHO. I know for a fact that I have fans and critics.

[edit on 14-5-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 12:14 AM
link   
You know I honestly never kept track and didn't realize I had the 250, but I don't write that well although I do a lot of research, I am not good at putting my thoughts into words.

It makes me embarassed, but I do love to share information.

So many of you really deserve the honor, and you shouldn't be shy about it.

I would give up mine if skeptic overlord would give those that want the 250 tag, to have it.

I feel most here are humble and deserving.

To give something and then take it away bothers me, it really isn't done.

I have never known the owners to cave like this.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I like the way that nobody has noticed that the 250/250/250 has gone and nobody has said anything about it

ooooopppssssss

put my foot in it again...

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Confidential Codeword Jupiter One Compartment Alpha 2201

What better way to show your level of contribution than to have a Watermark style Header/Footer that shows on each of the members posts

Hi... I've made a suggestion here that may do away with some peoples feelings that some think of this as 'Elite' status...

The ATS SECURITY CLEARANCE...

Rgds

Confidential Codeword Jupiter One Compartment Alpha 2201

[edit on 17-5-2009 by AllTiedTogether]

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by AllTiedTogether

Well now that we've changed the system and things are a bit more smooth, I would like to continue by saying that this also has helped content.

Actually I think it has helped members figure out who the best content posters are, and give them some extra credit for all the incredible research some of the members have done throughout the years and months participating on ATS.

And makes the site more flashy, and as we all know, the masses LOVE flashy

~Keeper

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Since this entire system has been replaced with a new one: www.abovetopsecret.com...

I see no need to keep any ongoing discussion in this thread.

Closed.

edit: oops wrong link

[edit on 17 May 09 by Gools]

new topics

top topics

join