It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientist arrested for smuggling vials used in Ebola research into US

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Scientist arrested for smuggling vials used in Ebola research into US

www.breitbart.com

A Canadian scientist has been arrested for smuggling 22 vials used in Ebola and HIV research into the US.
Konan Michel Yao was arrested while crossing the border from Manitoba into North Dakota.
He was carrying biological materials in vials wrapped in foil inside a glove, packaged in a plastic bag, along with electrical wires, in the trunk of his car. Yao said he stole the vials on his last day of work. He said he was taking them to a new job at the NIH Biodefense Research Laboratory.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Even so, US authorities said they are not hazardous.

Yao faces possible charges for smuggling the vials into the United States. Yao remains in US custody after waiving his right to bail and preliminary hearings and awaits a possible indictment for smuggling.

A Public Health Agency of Canada spokeswoman told AFP Yao "was working on vaccines for the Ebola virus and HIV, among other things. But he only had access to harmless and non-infectious materials, similar to what you'd find in a hospital or university lab. He did not have access to dangerous materials."

How easy can it be to move around Eboal and other viruses in Canada, and why would Yao want to take them to the BRL?

jw

www.breitbart.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by jdub297

How easy can it be to move around Eboal and other viruses in Canada, and why would Yao want to take them to the BRL?

Excellent question.

He took the precaution of wrapping them in foil, hiding them in a glove, and then putting them in the trunk of his car.

He was obviously no longer employed in Canada, yet had pending employment in the US at a known NIH research facility.

Any thoughts on Mr. Yao's intentions?

Also, why 'smuggling' and not 'international bio-terrorism'?

Interesting indeed.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I guess its a casual thing these days to smuggle around anything that can bring you the dollars in a large way.

You should read up on this link i posted, you will notice how and why things are shaping on the other side of the planet at such an accelerated rate.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

'Don't worry, we're here to help you. We're from the government.'

NIH and the US atty. say it's no big deal. Then why wrap and hide them?

And, why arrest him?

Here's an even better question:

How did the ICE/Border officers know to look inside the glove inside the package inside the trunk?

Do you really think they were just lucky?

If so, what happens when they aren't so lucky?

This stinks to me and all the excuses/"explanations."

Deny ignorance!

jw

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by tristar

Thanks for the link. I saw your thread earlier and now wonder if it's only a coincidence that Mr."Yao" was smugglig at the same time that other Eastern espionage activities are coming to light.

Seems pretty aggressive to me.

Good thing we have a president who hates confrontation and seeks to appease whenever possible. Could that be why the US Atty. is downplaying this case?

jw

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I cannot understand how any scientist or even simple smugler, while of clear mind, can carry vials that could be potentially so extremely hazardous in such an unacceptable conditions. Even for money. Even for big money.
So maybe it was sterilized? Because otherwise it is unbelievable.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeroKnowledge

We're likely never going to know his motivation or objective.

If it was worthless, why smuggle?

If it was benign, why wrap it in 3 layers?

If it was useful at his new NRL job, why not just forward it through normal channels?

I do not believe the story that he was "taking the vials to work."

Since it is so fishy, it will disappear from the radar.

jw

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Yao? asian canadian?

oh great. secret asian bio attack spy hidden in the realm of the obvious.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

As for Border Patrol being "lucky", no. If Yao wasn't a victim of the random secondary search then something he said to the agent probably warranted a secondary search. Especially if he was asked about his business crossing the border. If he told the customs/BP agents that he was employed or being employed with a biotech firm , that would have sent up a flag, guaranteed. However You are correct, something about his story doesn't pass the smell test. And the fact that this is being downplayed is even more troubling. Good find S&F.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Just dug a little further. Vials were surely not sterilized,because it is claimed in the article that they contained viral vectors. Since i was not aware of what it is, had to search the net.
Basicaly they take real virus and then knock out some important gene that is responsible , for example, for external coating. So virus can infect one cell but not more because it cannot multiply correctly. Ideally. At least this is what i understand from this.
en.wikipedia.org...
So these things are much much much safer then normal virus, but there is still potential hazard. So it could be big $ talking.
By the way, person is not Asian, he was born in Ivory coast (again, from OPs article.)

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by djvexd

Although the officials involved claim that the vials were not dangerous, does that explain the "packaging," or the need to smuggle the vials into the U.S.?

I doubt they were intended for the National Research Laboratory; they have not issued any statements about Yao or the 'need' for their contents.

The samples may not have been able to reproduce, but they contained valuable gene sequences that can be replicated and manipulated in a laboratory. Much like the sequences of the human, avian, and swine virus genes that form the basis of reports that the H1N1 outbreak may have been the result of human error in the lab.

jw

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
How in the world can Ebola and HIV not be considered dangerous?!?

If you have the power to render it benign, shouldn't that be shared?

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

Ok so now the 20 million dollar question....who or what entity was he smuggling these vials for? Terror cell? False Flag Ops? Not liking where this is leading.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Security procedures under review at National Microbiology Lab

Health officials are reviewing security at Winnipeg's National Microbiology Lab after a former researcher was caught allegedly trying to smuggle biological material into the United States.

Link: www.cbc.ca...

This topic is also being discussed in the Diseases and Pandemics section.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
He stole them?!
I wonder if he's working on developing protection or developing weaponry.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 02:34 AM
link   
i wonder if the guy is just stupid.

to the people asking why he was hiding it in multiple layers if it "isnt dangerous," surely if he didnt have them hidden he would have been busted. I mean, everyone would probably be suspicious if someone had some vials lying on the passenger seat or in the cup holder. i think they were hidden purely so he wouldnt be caught.

what he was doing with them is another question.
he may just be an idiot.
or maybe he was selling the samples. The only problem i see with that is, if you were going to steal potentially deadly viruses, why take the ones that are weak and not full strength ones? surely that would bring a lot more cash.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 02:54 AM
link   
My biggest fear is just this..

The lowly guy who has access to nasty suff,that is tempted to do wrong..Lets face it,in todays world,some would be willing to sll there soul to the devil if they could to keep there heads above water..

People will be willing to take a finger off for moneys in the near future..

I would be almost for certain he was being watched..

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by secretstash
How in the world can Ebola and HIV not be considered dangerous?!?
If you have the power to render it benign, shouldn't that be shared?

All the more reason that I believe this is being 'whitewashed.'

The smuggler is clearly a scientist with access and yet he takes precaution to isolate these "harmless" samples. He amy not have had terroristic intent, but he wasn't coming here as a "friend," either.

What gives?

jw

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by ELECTRICkoolaidZOMBIEtest
... what he was doing with them is another question.
... maybe he was selling the samples. The only problem i see with that is, if you were going to steal potentially deadly viruses, why take the ones that are weak and not full strength ones? surely that would bring a lot more cash.

The other problem is that he wouldn't need to cross the border to sell them. Anyone in the 'market' to buy this stuff likely has a brancj office in Canada, don't you think? How would he have known what they were "shopping" for?

We are being lied to.

Again.

jw

top topics

<<   2 >>

join