It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

* Share this on: Mixx Facebook Twitter Digg delicious reddit MySpace StumbleUpon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Obama reverses course on alleged prison abuse photos

www.cnn.com

President Obama has ordered government lawyers to object to the planned release of additional detainee photos, according to an administration official.

"Last week, the president met with his legal team and told them that he did not feel comfortable with the release of the [Defense Department] photos because he believes their release would endanger our troops, and because he believes that the national security implications of such a release have not been fully presented to the court," the official said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

[edit on 5/13/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I don't know how I feel about this.

I understand the reasoning behind it, and agree that it can raise the ire of many and actually create more people who hate us than don't.

However, I think the real people being protected here are high ranking officials on both sides of the aisle. I already believe Pelosi needs to be removed because of her lies on this.

I also believe that Cheney and Bush should be tried for war crimes as well.

This is the evidence we all should be able to see. Isn't this one of those "Never Forget" situations? Would Hitler been seen as a monster if it were not for the evidence?

I dunno... I think if we did it, then we need to own up to it and be transparent.

At the same time, I can also agree with the logic which states it might endanger our troops. However, then I say "DON"T BE A SOLDIER" if you can't deal with attacks.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

However, I think the real people being protected here are high ranking officials on both sides of the aisle. I already believe Pelosi needs to be removed because of her lies on this.

That would be my bet.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Just another in a long long line of political cover ups. Few people find out about it, try and make a fuss, but nothing gets done, nothing gets said. Its the way it always has been and its the way it always will be.

These people have no one to answer to and until the people who elected these officials MAKE them answer, its best not to think about it. Its too infuriating.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by stereovoyaged
Just another in a long long line of political cover ups. Few people find out about it, try and make a fuss, but nothing gets done, nothing gets said. Its the way it always has been and its the way it always will be.

These people have no one to answer to and until the people who elected these officials MAKE them answer, its best not to think about it. Its too infuriating.

And the people who elect them don't investigate who they are voting for.

And people like me don't have anyone worth voting for.

Now what do we do?

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Thats the million dollar question, what do we do? I honestly don't think there is anything we can do. Its come too far, we have given up too much. We care too little as a whole. Everyone is so wrapped up in the material world that we can't see past our own nose and don't want to for that matter.

I have lots of friends who say they would rather live in ignorance to the world. Its like I have said a million times, people don't care whats going on in the world around them, how can they? American Idol is on in an hour.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
They know that if they release these photos, they cannot re-write history to accommodate their agenda.

This is about the public record.

There is no conceivable way to show anything that can put us in a worse light than we already are.... this is not about national security, this is about the national outrage that will spew forth once they divulge just what they are contending 'was justified' by their ideology - which they are still hard at work trying to get us to accept.

"We can't show you because it would put our troops in danger." - How so? Did THEY commit these atrocities of inhumanity? No. It was the ideologues and their covertly-salaried sadists who did it. It won't put our troops in danger, if anything it will prove that it is not our troops who are the criminals, it's the people who order them to do what they do.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by stereovoyaged

I have lots of friends who say they would rather live in ignorance to the world. Its like I have said a million times, people don't care whats going on in the world around them, how can they? American Idol is on in an hour.

I hear ya, I try to talk to friends and family about these issues, and am always shocked,

They don't know anything, nada.

I don't know what it will take to wake them up.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Unfortunately, I don’t think they can be. It always seems to me the people who "get it" are a certain type of person. And have been their whole lives. My best friend attributes it to watching a lot of tv as a kid, said it makes you smarter and know more about the real world. lol I kinda think its true.

I have a lot of friends who are "smart", make a lot of money and have nice big houses but are completely oblivious to the world and can't carry an intelligent conversation to save their lives....ugh...tradespersons, hahaha.

But also, they look down on people like me who watch the discovery channel and can use the alphabet in other ways than burping it. I'm not intellectual by no means and I enjoy video games, sports and binge drinking on the weekend, I just always keep my "geek hat" handy. Makes you popular at parties, you can go throw up with the American Eagle shirt wearing jocks or come converse with the uniquely dressed smart guy

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Yea I have always been an information junkie, when I was a kid I liked to the read the encyclopedia.

I have a lot in my head but not good at putting it into words,

Sad, think how dangerous I would be.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I have very mixed reactions. On one level accountability and on the other a desire to not stir the hornest's nest.

Adding to my angst is that many of us rely on the FOIA to unmask the misdeeds of government and conspiracies. (FEMA, 911, Aliens etc.)

I am konfused.

Regards...KK

[edit on 13-5-2009 by kinda kurious]

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I think Mr. Obama should get a dictionary and look up the meaning of the word transparent.

Cause his version is a little "murkier" than the actually meaning.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinda kurious
I have very mixed reactions. On one level accountability and on the other a desire to not stir the hornest's nest.

Adding to my angst is that many of us rely on the FOIA to unmask the misdeeds of government and conspiracies. (FEMA, 911, Aliens etc.)

I am konfused.

Regards...KK

[edit on 13-5-2009 by kinda kurious]

I'm with you on this...

It is very confusing.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
You're not allowed to question the decisions made by your messiah. If you do you risk becoming the target of some paid-comedian's pundits and worse, the liberal media will sic Stewart and Olbermann on you.

If you voted for Obama I suggest you change your attitude and remember this is change you can believe in.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
So much for the Obama administration being an open government, Oh dear I feel the honeymoon is over for him. Just another bush!!!

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
The idea of not releasing the photos to protect the troops is swinefeces...
There is a VERY good chance that these people will be released on the streets of American cities, so it is for their protection...nothing more, or less.

Once they are "tried" in our civil courts, and found "not guilty", they have no grounds to keep them locked up, and which country is wanting their return? I haven't heard of one, yet.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Cheers to binge drinking on the weekend!

I think he should release the photos. Let the evidence speak for itself. I don't understand why he doesn't just sic the justice department on the Bush era war criminals.

They need to be held responsible or this kind of stuff will happen again and again...

[edit on 13-5-2009 by milesp]

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I can't believe Obama pussied out. I've had a lot of respect for Obama so far but this is a real head shaker. Especially since Cheney has been going on every talk show he can and ranting about how he can't release the pictures. This is really a slap in the face to Obama's supporters who hoped he'd be different that the treason committing ilk before him.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by pyrytyes

Assuming that you are correct that the detainees would be released into the American population, of which I am skeptical, I doubt that it's for the detainees' protection. In the photos released several years ago the prisoners were wearing hoods or their faces were blacked out. That's all they would need to do to ensure the safety of detainees is obscure the faces of those being held prisoner.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by sos37
You're not allowed to question the decisions made by your messiah. If you do you risk becoming the target of some paid-comedian's pundits and worse, the liberal media will sic Stewart and Olbermann on you.

If you voted for Obama I suggest you change your attitude and remember this is change you can believe in.

Did you see how Stewart filleted Pelosi last night? Don't assume Stewart is a shill. He's as anti-torture as I am. I expect he will be filleting Obama this evening on this move.

top topics

join