It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ACLU sues over patents on breast cancer genes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   

ACLU sues over patents on breast cancer genes

www.cnn.com

Myriad's patents give it exclusive right to perform diagnostic tests on the genes -- forcing other researchers to request permission from the company before they can take a look at BRCA1 and BRCA2, the ACLU said. The patents also give the company the rights to future mutations on the BRCA2 gene and the power to exclude others from providing genetic testing.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.nytimes.com

LAWSUIT FILING PDF:
www.aclu.org...

[edit on 13-5-2009 by Maxmars]

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
While the politically inclined seem to obsess over the machinations of the challenges the ACLU has raised over many issues, I think in this case they are destined to receive a great deal of popular support.

Reducing a persons' genetic coding to a 'marketable' object of commerce, is fundamentally the same as reducing humans to products. In my humble opinion, this is a terrible path to take, and it must be reviewed closely....

More than 192,000 U.S. women are diagnosed with breast cancer each year -- about 5 to 10 percent of those cases have a hereditary form of the disease, according to the National Cancer Institute. Mutation in the genes called BRCA1 and BRCA2 -- short for breast cancer 1 and breast cancer 2 -- are involved in many cases of hereditary breast and ovarian cancers, the institute said.

"A woman's lifetime chance of developing breast and/or ovarian cancer is greatly increased if she inherits an altered BRCA1 or BRCA2 gene," according to the institute....."

"....The company also charged $3,000 a test, possibly keeping some women from seeking preventive genetic testing, the ACLU says."

Read on.... and remember, if the company prevails, other aspects of your genes will become in many respects their 'domain'.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 13-5-2009 by Maxmars]

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
So this test...if I am not mistaken...if patented, would make it impossible for thier peers to reproduce this test to see if the test is even valid? So much for scientific method, just sign the check. I hope the ACLU wins this one.

join