It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pope calls for 'sovereign Palestinian homeland'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Pope calls for 'sovereign Palestinian homeland'

www.msnbc.msn.com

BETHLEHEM, West Bank - Standing in the cradle of Christianity, Pope Benedict XVI told Palestinians on Wednesday that he understands their suffering and offered his strongest public backing yet for an independent Palestinian state.

the Holy See supports the right of your people to a sovereign Palestinian homeland in the land of your forefathers, secure and at peace with its neighbors, within internationally recognized borders," the pontiff said upon his arrival, standing alongside Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Are my eyes fooling me?
Did the pope just say what I think I read????
Did a major PR player just say what I think I heard?

What shift is going on here?
Something strange is happening here.

Israelis have criticized the German-born pope for failing to adequately express remorse for the Holocaust, while the Palestinians are pressing him to draw attention to the difficult conditions of life under Israeli rule.

Oh this is just disgusting!
DISGUSTINGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Pope you don't care about the past and care too much about the present, the present being where our govt. is trying to repeat the same past which you blame you for ignoring.

What in the worldd????

The pope also called for a Palestinian homeland when he arrived in Israel on Monday for the five-day visit. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who was in the audience, says Palestinians are not ready to rule themselves and he has resisted international pressure to endorse the idea of a Palestinian state alongside Israel.

on the contrary Israel govt. deserves no sovereignty
and sovereignty is Precisely what the philistines need!

But this is still very strange for the Pope to be taking this stance.

What's going on?

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   
How is it so bizarre? Pope John Paul II said the same thing, it's not a brand new stance for the Vatican.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by searching4truth

It is strange for it to happen today
today meaning not today as in this day but right now at this time

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   
This just goes to show that the Hitler Youth never forget their basic training.

Wonder if he still has his inscribed dagger?

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Sounds like some left-leaning butt-kissing! This is why i left organized religion because they never hold firm in any stance, contrary to an "unchanging" God. This should not be confused with the palestinians right to their own country.
From what i understand, wont a palestinian country rely on Jews for medicare and education and all that? How can they support themselves at this time?

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   
With the Pope and Obama, when israel still says no, it's just going to make more people open their eyes and see israel for what it is.

Not good for israel, they seem to no longer have Christians or the US on their side...

After Gaza they surely don't have Europe on their side!

Seems israel may soon have to fight it's own battle for the very first time.

[edit on 13-5-2009 by breakingdradles]

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Retseh

When in doubt bring up the Hitler Youth? That is a little ridiculous, he had discussed that numerous times, as well as wrote about it in his autobiography. Did you know that after December of '36 all boys aged 14+ were required to join? Or about how his family endured many hardships because of his and his family refusal to participate. Or that his cousin was killed by the Nazi's because he had Downs Syndrome? I find it interesting that those that enjoy or writing off whatever the Pope says on the basis of his youth in Germany neglect the fact that he was personally effected by the savagry of the Nazi's. He could no more control being born in Germany at that time than I could control being born in the United States when I was, and having to follow the laws of the land. If we are going to start blaming people because of where/when they were born we made one heck of leap backward in time.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by breakingdradles

I wouldn't say all Christians, they seem to have a pretty good hold on Evangelicals in the States. Which, on a personal note, I find baffeling. During the January events in Gaza, I had gotten into an unfortunate and heated debate with an Evangelical aquaintance of mine, he was absolutely convinced that the whatever Israeli's did was a ok because they are the "chosen people"(by being Jewish), I just, wow, I still get a little hot under the collar thinking about it. Then proceeded to use the Bible, with the New Testament, to justify what was occuring. Part of me would have liked to accompany him to his service to see for myself what was being said, but I know that sometimes my mouth may get the better of me, so I declined.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

At this time? The Palestinians have been fighting since the first boat of Jewish immigrants arrived, shoot even the British were fighting the Jews. Initially, there was a two state solution discussed prior to the formation of Israel, the Jews rejected. As I stated Pope John Paul II supported the Palastinians and he has been dead for 4 years. Really, I just see it as cycling back around to what the original "right" descion would have been, if they all had to live on the same land, it would have to be a two state solution.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Yes I'm well aware of the entire historical events with israel-palestine.
But Pope John Paul II showing support for Palestine was a long time ago.

things have changed
Israel is much more powerful now then it ever was

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   
The Catholic Church has always had a concern for the Palestinian refugees. A month before Israel declared statehood Pope Pius XII established the "Pontifical Mission for Palestine" who's primary responsibility was humanitarian relief for the already huge numbers of refugees. This predated the United Nations relief effort (UNRWA) by eight months and indeed established most of the facilities UNRWA took over.

the Pontifical Mission not only distributed many tons of food, clothing, medical supplies, temporary shelters, and cooking equipment to the newly dispossessed, but also constructed homes for those who had lost their own. An outstanding achievement of the Pontifical Mission was its encouragement and endowment of training and educational programs to enable the refugees to help themselves through newly acquired skills and trades and to accede to literacy and higher schooling.

Source: Pontifical Mission for Palestine

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

A long time ago? He only passed four years ago last month, and Pope Benedict XVI immediately followed, I wouldn't call that "a long time ago" so much as a continuation of tradition as so beautifully pointed out by the poster above me. Thanks to the poster above me

Yes Israel is quite powerful and somethings have changed in 4 yrs, but I wouldn't say that has received the majority of its power in the last few, it was very well established during JP's reign.

[edit on 13-5-2009 by searching4truth]

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Supercertari

Thanks
I did not know that!

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Was he a member of the Hitler Youth - yes

Did that organization indoctrinate members with a hatred of Jews - yes

Has he adopted an anti-Jewish stance with this announcement - yes

It's hardly a huge leap, and certainly germane to the discussion if you'll forgive the pun.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Considering that the Vatican has done everything possible to prevent the founding of Israel, I hardly find this shocking.

They've been about killing Jews for centuries, so anything to cause Jews, or Israel more problems, that's been their stock in trade.

Anytime a grown man dresses up in gowns and beanies, you just know he's got it going.

If the prophecies of St. Malachi are correct, there will only be one more Pope after this one.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Retseh

How is Pope Benedict's support for a Palastinian state anymore "anti Jewish" (which I disagree with) than any head of state or private citizen that advocates the same stance? So if one supports a two state solution then they are automatically anti Jewish? Really? I know quite a few anti Zionist Jews that would beg to differ. I gather then all Germans over the age 70 (roughly) are ALL anti Jewish, or just German in general. It baffels me how easily people forget that other people were killed during the holocaust, it wasn't only a Jewish thing. No, I do not deny that Hitler was anti Jewish, but he was also anti Polish, anti homosexual, anti disabled, anti anything that did not fall into his warped perception of the "perfect aryan race".

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by dooper
Anytime a grown man dresses up in gowns and beanies, you just know he's got it going.

Jews wear skull caps and Jewish leaders wear similar clothing.

Don't get where your going with this comment.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Yeh, call white black and black white. This is what is called now-days search for truth?

Initially, there was a two state solution discussed prior to the formation of Israel, the Jews rejected

There are things called library. You can get newspapers from 1948 and search for truth a little better.
As an example, to help with the facts:

Jewish representatives in Palestine accepted the plan tactically because it implied international recognition for their aims.

The Palestinians and Arabs felt that it was a deep injustice to ignore the rights of the majority of the population of Palestine. The Arab League and Palestinian institutions rejected the partition plan,

news.bbc.co.uk...
It is not that simple, there were infuential Israeli politicians who did not accept the plan and wanted "greater Israel" - example is Ben Gurion or Menahem Begin. But in general Jewish side accepted the deal. Arab - did not.

And i have no problem with Pope being Hitler youth. It was Nazi Germany. Kids had to go in, i doubt that there would be those who somehow managed not to be in.
But what about leader of Palestinian Arabs, Mohammad Amin al-Husayni, who not only met with Hitler and discussed future of Jews in British Palestine (aka - destruction of them) but also helped create Muslim SS units in Europe. This is definetly one hell of promoting two state solution and world peace.
Hope i helped with search for truth.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeroKnowledge

I really do not see how anything I said was completely contradictory to historical accounts. In '47 Great Britain handed the whole Palastine situation over to the United Nations. The initial special session of the General Assembly proposed an Arab state, a Jewish state, and an international zone for both Jerusalem and Bethlehem. Ben Gurion, who seemed to be glossed over in your post, was highly significant in the rejection. It was rejected, and following this before the second special session of the UN, the Haganah, Irgun, and Stern "gangs" expelled over a million Muslim and Christian citizens. Really, the only thing that turned Haganah into the IDF was the arrival of a large quantity of rifles, machine guns, and ammo from Czechoslovakia, oh and Ben Gurions statements that it was now an official army. And then well we all know who declared their independence and became the first PM. Funny how most nations didn't get involved since they only gave Israel about a 50% survival chance against Egypt, Syria, Jordan, Iraq, and Lebanon.

I believe that the Palastinians rejected a Jewish state as well, after all given the events of the time, why would they accept anything less than what they were originally promised? After 1919 it was recognized as an independent state while temporarily being under the British mandate until they could survive on their own. It had fixed bounderies, a population, and a government. By '39 there were the White Papers which promised the Palastinians self determination and a limit to further Jewish immigration. But why would the Palastinians want to limit Jewish immigration? Well, perhaps it had something to do with "Jewish terrorist attacks" that had killed over 50,000 Arabs. All that really happened was Mr. Ben Gurion and his friends taking advantage of WWII and British involvement in it to create more trouble in Palastine, not to mention turning on his own "Jewish brethren" by turning away assistant to accomplish his personal goal.

There is a huge amount of literature describing how the Zionists made it very difficult to save Jews during and after World War II. As various individuals and organizations were trying to arrange departures of Jews to western countries, the Zionists worked overtime to prevent this from happening. They expressed the opinion that building up the Jewish population of Palestine was more important than enabling Jews to go to third countries, and they insisted to western powers that Jews should not be accepted anywhere other than Palestine. Indeed, Yitzchak Greenbaum, a famous Zionist, proclaimed that “one cow in Palestine was worth more than all the Jews in Poland.”

www.jewsagainstzionism.com...

And thank you, I've sent too much time in libraries, but I always enjoy a good visit.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join