It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Possible Fines for Refusing to Register for UK ID Scheme

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 05:53 PM
link   
British Home Secretary David Blunkett has announced that anyone refusing to register for the Governments ID card scheme could receive a �2,500 fine. The draft bill proposes that a National Identity Register be created to hold details of all of the sixty million people in the UK.

The registry is planned to include the holders name, address and previous addresses, as well as nationality. The cards are not designed to include DNA or other health-related information, but I doubt it will be long before that decision is overturned.

BBC News

Legislation is expected to be introduced to Parliament in the autumn, with the first biometric passports, which store fingerprint or iris scan information, issued in 2005 and the first cards carrying fingerprint details in 2007.

At first it was planned for the ID cards to be voluntary, now they are considering making it illegal to refuse to register. This doesn't shock me in the least, since this sham of a Government has spent most of their time in power lying about one thing or another.

Welcome to The next step in Blair's Big Brother Britain.

[Edited on 27-4-2004 by Pisky]

[Edited on 4-27-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 06:04 PM
link   
You would think bush would follow suit. Maybe he is waiting till after the election.

Thats nasty. What happens when you refuse, pay the fine and you still refuse?

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I notice that the two words "Civil" and "criminal" have either accidentally or deliberately been ommitted from the article. It does make a huge difference and such ommissions should not be excercised by those wishing to uncover uncomfortable truths. They are tactics usually reserved for the sneaky buggers we try to expose.

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 08:26 AM
link   
They (being the British Gov't) *really* needs to think this over again! I can understand a loose time frame for
induction into the populace, but jeez 10 years, with might that I add a volunteer system. That is almost asking for some peeps to reverse engineer the cards so that the fake cards will be out before it's even mandatory. Maybe I miss read something but why institute a fine for something that is going to be mandatory in 10 years.. something is amiss. Thank you for bringing this up Pisky! As it would seem to be only a matter of time before the U.S. may mirror the notion.

posted on Apr, 29 2004 @ 05:47 PM
link   
To be honest, the whole ID card issue doesn't really bother me. I have a photcard driver's licence, a UK passport, I'm targeted with direct mail from credit companies, the state already KNOWS who I am. The old big brother Britain chestnut is hot air! Don't kid yourself into thinking that we are free- 'cause we ain't...paranoia seems to be replacing common sense- stay calm, they aren't at the door yet!

The real kick in the teeth is that it's going to cost 35 quid to get one.

posted on Apr, 29 2004 @ 06:03 PM
link   
The reason it hasnt been instituted in the US is because of extreme resistance. Any congressman caught voting yes on such a measure could kiss his job goodbye.

They have been trying for national ID cards for yours, but it keeps getting # down, because thankfully, this is also the land of anti govornment paranoia.

To put it in perspective, years ago, one of Idaho's senators, when the Federal roads department started putting up traffic cams on Idaho freeways, encouraged her constituants to shoot the cameras down whenever they saw them.

posted on Apr, 29 2004 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
To put it in perspective, years ago, one of Idaho's senators, when the Federal roads department started putting up traffic cams on Idaho freeways, encouraged her constituants to shoot the cameras down whenever they saw them.

There was a group of people in the UK a few years ago who used to throw truck tyres onto the speed cameras and set them on fire.

top topics

join