It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GM plans China-made vehicles for U.S. market - paper

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   

GM plans China-made vehicles for U.S. market - paper

uk.reuters.com

SHANGHAI, May 13 (Reuters) - General Motors Corp (GM.N) plans to export vehicles made at its joint ventures in China to the United States in the coming years, the official Shanghai Securities News reported on Wednesday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I found this article VERY interesting, and also very interesting that the MSM in America aren't carrying the story. If GM survives bankruptcy, which I believe is inevitable, is this how they plan on slashing costs - by cutting out the union AND the American workers entirely? Granted this is a small step with only 50,000 vehicles targeted for 2014, but if GM announces massive job cuts and then turns around and starts to import their cars for sale in this country, I question who would buy them? Anyone buying a Chinese-made GM car could well be viewed by their fellow countrymen as a traitor.

BTW, I have believed bankruptcy was inevitable for GM for a while now, but another story today seems to be the nail in the coffin. The top 6 execs for GM are dumping their stakes in the company. Story here..

uk.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 13-5-2009 by sos37]

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   

The move will make GM's two China vehicle manufacturing ventures the first among Chinese producers to export passenger cars to the United States, the newspaper added.

uk.reuters.com...

I wonder if this will ruffle some feathers. lol

Maybe the wolves will begin to howl with the coyotees joining in and the farmer will need to hide the livestock as thier is a warning on the wind.

[edit on 13-5-2009 by whiteraven]

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
This is big.

China has been looking for a brand to bring cars to America through.

Looks like they found it with "the heartbeat of America" (old Chevy ad)

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   
If G.M. goes bankrupt they'll just sell (or give) the G.M. brand name to the SAIC motor company in China and you'll still be able to buy your GM brand models that you know and love
only made poorer quality (if possible) and painted in a lovely lead based paint. and most of the sleeping American populace probably wouldn't know the difference (or even care if it was a few dollars cheaper)

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Chapter 11!

I see!
Said the blind man.

Good for them, good for us, and great for the new landlord.

Besides GM and Ford have plants all over the planet already if they go belly up they will either do one of two things. Sell off everything and make the rich richer or just close their North American production lines and change their names and sell back to the states. Either way we are in for major changes.

[edit on 13-5-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I dontknow, the American boyin me would rather see GM burn down to the ground before letting China get its hands on it.
This should not be happening.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by yellowbeard

Normally I would say you were right, however in this case GM borrowed BILLIONS of dollars from American taxpayers to stay afloat. Okay, we knew that was a futile effort but that's a whole different topic. Taxpayers most likely won't see this money ever again. To add insult to injury, GM will lay off the rest of its American work force and replace it with a cheaper Chinese work force.

Americans are going to look at this and say:

1. You piled debt on me, my children and grandchildren
2. You fired people that directly negatively impacts the economy of the country I live in
3. Now instead of relocating your company to a "right to work" state like Louisiana (meaning no unions) to save money, you're sending the work overseas and importing the cars for sale here and expect us to buy those cars

And every taxpayer would have a right to be pissed.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

But you gotta love the irony of it all sos.

The bondholders are protesting the terms of the offer under which they would swap their $27bn claim for a 10 per cent equity stake, while the union, with a $10bn claim, would end up with 39 per cent.........The US government would own 50 per cent, with the rest split between bondholders and the UAW.

From Finacial Times

It looks like the UAW is going to own 39% of a company that is will be importing cars from China. I'm going to bet they are going to allow it so that their pensioners continue to get theirs while their children are tossed to the wolves in this economy. Don't you just love Obamanomics?

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Don't forget that in addition to making cars, GM also makes MILITARY VEHICLES for the US.

How do you feel about having US tanks and APCs made in China? How does the Government feel about this?

Shouldn't this be raising a few more eyebrows?

Perhaps with all the events of the past year, everyone's eyebrows are already at the backs of their necks. I mean, the world has been turned upside-down in the last six months and people seem to have lost their capacity for surprise and been numbed by the shock of it all. This is just one more shock I guess. And you can bet plenty more are on the way.

new topics

top topics

join