It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

False Assumptions and the Light Bulb

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
OK. I'm posting in SW, but this happened to me today and I take it as a sign.

This morning I walk into my bedroom closet (2nd floor) flip on light switch and darkness remains.

I trudge downstairs, grab a ladder, flashlight and fresh light bulb.

Return to 2nd floor closet, climb ladder and proceed to unscrew old light bulb. The moment I touch bulb, Poof. Bulb illuminates.

Then it dawned on me how quickly I make assumptions. (In this case false.)

Although this minute metaphor might seem a stretch, it occured to me that assumptions we make on a daily basis could be false.

Assumptions shape our way of thinking, but how many times do we accept we can be wrong? ( Whether in the blink of an eye or after hours of careful thought / meditation.) In doing so those assumptions solidify over the course of years to form our opinions.

Regards.....KK

( P.S. I went ahead and changed the bulb.)

[edit on 13-5-2009 by kinda kurious]

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Was the bulb good or just the filament touching one of the posts to make it light when you touched it, I ask this because it would tell you weather your assumption was in fact correct or not.

We all make assumptions; just whether or not they are correct is what needs to be examined within the self. I make many assumptions that end up being correct, and of course the opposite is true as well, but does this deter me from making them, of course not, I am at least 50 percent right with them.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Since you likely did not remember the last time you changed the lite bulb, it was a fair assumption that it simply burned out. Therefore, you gathered what you needed in order to replace it.

Now, if you had just changed the lite bulb a few days ago and it suddenly did not work, there is a good chance you would have had the thought of just seeing if it was "loose" before assuming it was burnt out.

Additionally, if you just had awoken for the day, your mind likely was not at "full speed" yet.

Possibly, if you were in full awareness mode when the bulb did not turn on you would have considered the easiest solution immediately (ie see if it was loose) But hard to be on that level of alertness all the time, at least for myself.

Bet next time this happens, you will check if the bulb is loose first. Life is all a learning experience right? Now this episode is burned in your mind. Trivial lesson sure, but, you can now apply it to all aspects of your life. Always check the simplest solution first!

Reminds me of when I looked all over the apartment for a missing video tape, even went to my folks thinking I left it there.

Come to find, it was in my own vcr in my own apt!

Personally, I think we miss the obvious or make too many assumptions because our minds are being assaulted with a ridiculous amount of stimuli at all times. Hard to concentrate if not concentrating on concentrating

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlienCarnage
Was the bulb good or just the filament touching one of the posts to make it light when you touched it, I ask this because it would tell you weather your assumption was in fact correct or not.

OK, this drove me crazy all day at work. When I got home, I dug the bulb out of the trash and screwed it into a lamp...it worked. It did not "rattle" when shaken. I suspect the filament is intact.

Regards...KK

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Well I have NO idea what happened to you in this situation, but I do have an interesting question about light bulbs lol.

Here's the question.

How many lightbulbs, does it take to change a lightbulb?

Ponder that for a few minutes before answering.

~Keeper

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
How many lightbulbs, does it take to change a lightbulb?

I give up. How many?

All I know is that I am already starting to miss the old light bulb.

Regards....KK

top topics

join