It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people defend public schools?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Public schools aren't really that great. sure, the critics of public schools are wrong about some things... but I wouldn't go all out and say that we have a really good public school system. That's a lie. I only learn a fraction of what I know in schooling. Education is only a fraction of your knowledge. I learn a lot outside of school. A lot of public school work is slave work too. It doesn't help if you just rote learn a lot. Also, a lot of times teachers will just flat out lie. It doesn't help when they do that either. So, I ask... why do so many people want to defend our public school systems? They're not really that good.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   
What exactly are you comparing the public school system to? Every system has flaws, but it the relative worth that i believe shows our public school systems aren't as bad as they could be. Private schools have the exact same problems. The only difference they have is that you can customize your childs education a bit (add in religion, etc.). Home schooling is simply not an option for everyone. Although I would love to do that with my kids, I simply don't have the time. However, I do supplement their school education with other things.

Based on your post, it would appear that you have some specific resentments. You are describing a specific group of teachers, and that does not necessarily apply to all teachers in a public school system. I would suspect that you recently had an issue that prompted this post.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   
lol. a horrible system- but maybe thats the point- you learn that suppossed knowledgable adult are self absorbed idiots with psychological problems. ever notice alot of short teachers? - tells ya alot

you learn that if you sux up you get better grades and a recommendation

you learn that male teachers qare nice to good looking female students

you learn female teachers do the same with certain male students- unless they are gay- an abundance of that in public education - (again- says alot)

you learn that suppossed impartial teachers treat their own brats better and these brats get preferential treatment

these are more important then an interpretation of a greek myth

[edit on 13-5-2009 by ScreamtheDance]

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   
School should be preparation for the real world after graduation. How do any of these things differ from a corporate environment?

There are children who want to learn. There are those who actually excel at spelling and grammer usage - valuable skills as an adult.

There is a part that puzzles me most. Why is it that people ranting about the school system appear to have inferior grammer and spelling?

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by TLomon

I have fine grammar and spelling. I don't think that school should just be about work. School should educate you about the classics and school should educate you with things that school doesn't tell you about. I'm not talking about a specific group of teachers-- but about the whole system. It's not really that great. And, quite a few teachers do need to change how they teach. Sometimes they'll teach their opinions too much in class. Also, school doesn't really teach you anything except for-- Shakespear is good... you don't get taught about other kinds of literature in English classes except Shakespear... world history/American history in schools is just a bunch of lie. You don't get to take that many elective classes in high-school. You can't study what you want to-- only what they want you to study. I've been to a private school and it's 1000X better than a public school. You get my drift?

[edit on 13-5-2009 by Frankidealist35]

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   
"Why is it that people ranting about the school system appear to have inferior grammer and spelling?"

could be alot of reasons. an unconscious revolt against the status quo.

maybe those that have a concern for grammar and spelling are like clerks
defenders of form , and illogical in their assumptions

researchers, doctors, etc- many have horrific spelling and grammar
i guess they are stupid as well. lol

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by ScreamtheDance

Why does it seem that some people are overly-concerned about spelling on grammar on an internet message board?

I type the way I talk. I'm not writing an essay or anything.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
People have nowhere else to go.
Teachers need jobs.

And a whole lot of good reasons.

The bad is the Illuminati control.
In the case of Tesla, we are missing the next generation
of science breakthroughs that never happened.
How can the electron forces of Tesla be more powerful than
the nuclear forces uncovered by Einstein.
Perhaps even more practical than nuclear energy.
I think there are replacement forces involved that must
never be revealed. How can silly bulb generate energy.
Wow, it boggles how science can not be released by these guys.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

lol. typos, etc. alot of reasons. I wrote "intelligence" wrong on purpose once for self amusement- in essence a trap for the "smart" spelling police

the responses were as expected- "can't even spell intelligence right- lol "

despite the ability to edit- despite spell check - despite the obvious-
the masters of spelling (lol) and syntax "know" they are superior.

whats the quote- can't remember it but it was something like

"an artist paints the sky red because he knows its (no hyphen!) blue
the rest of us paint it blue because we don't want anyone to think we are stupid"

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
"Artists can color the sky red because they know it's blue. Those of us who aren't artists must color things the way they really are or people might think we're stupid." Originally by Jules Feiffer. I have read one of his books to my kids when they were younger.

It actually is a very good quote. I need to at least give you cudos for knowing it.

I will admit I get teased online for my use of grammar and fairly decent spelling. I am not usually a stickler for other people to do it as well, but there was one thing that just jumped out at me.

You do realize "alot" is two words, right?

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by TLomon

Yeah I know that alot is not one word.

I don't care much about spelling online. I just type how I feel like or what I want to type.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I work in the public school system, and it is an awful system, and kept that way on purpose. The system intentionally slows the education of children, is full of nothing but indoctrination, and does nothing to promote individuality-in fact, the overall attitude is to punish individuality.

The system is also set up so as to punish children for having bad parents.

It is not an accident. Our public schools are set up to produce worker ants for society. Nothing more.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I think this has a lot to do with what schools and/or school district you are in.

My kids when to good public schools, took lots of AP classes and even college classes while they were still in high school.

They've go on to be very successful people.

BUT!!!! We chose the town to raise our kids in partially based on the public school system.

There are lots of areas in our country where I wouldn't have wanted to let my kids attend the public schools. So, I think that one of the decisions that you make as a parent is where to live and raise your kids. Choose wisely.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

I believe the public school system is absolutely horrible. I like to think that I am a highly involved parent, I check her homework, talk regularly with the teacher, etc, but I didn't think it was enough. After checking the homework and seeing what they were working on, I was shocked, the tasks they were working on were far below acceptable to me, things I remembered mastering at least two years prior to where they were currently. It seemed as though they were running far behind, and I certainly did not want my child to suffer when it is time to apply to college, or life in general. But I can't afford private schools in our area at the moment, and I can't commit to full time home schooling due to time and previous committments, plus I think there is something highly beneficial in the social network of traditional schools and of learning interaction with their peers. So, I began searching for something along the lines of "part time" home schooling, to which I found many groups of parents involved in "supplemental education". It is very simple, your goes to school and learns whatever basics the school provides and after school, on weekends, etc. you teach them whatever it is they are lacking, there are paid facilites that will deliver course work and learning plans, but most information you can find for free online, or if your up to the challenge design it yourself. Really, I think it is just making the time (which can be quite difficult) for learning. I remember being a child and my parents would take us on all sorts of learning trips, whether it be a simple as the museum, or various historical sites, there was always something to be learned. Many people, including my former self, assume the schools are more than competent to educated their children, but at some point in the last 15 yrs or so they have greatly reduced the quanity and, most importantly the quality, of the public education system. I came to the realization that if I would like my child to leave school being competent in the English language, mathmatics, history, and sciences I would have to take on the role of educator myself.

new topics

top topics

join