It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Zombie Ants

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Why not use something along the lines of Cordyceps unilateralis, a fungus that causes ants to climb to the top of a plant and become a spore sac for the fungus? It seems less dangerous and easier to eradicate after the ants have been dealt with.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by ShadeWolf

Good idea, but the fungus thing has already been tried. It didn't work. I'm not sure what particular fungus they used, but it started killing the plant life and not the ants. They had to slash and burn about 200 acres to clear the fungus out.

Fire ants are a huge problem in Texas and poison seems to be the only solution. I hope these flies work to reduce the population, and do not cause an impact on the ecosystem other than that.

If it does work than it will reduce the amount of poison that gets put on the ground and eventually washed into the water systems.

I'm an outdoors man and several years ago I was alone on a hiking trip and I had run out of water. It was just too hot and I drank all of the water that I had brought with me. I had to resort to the "gather and boil method". I got horribly sick and barely made it out. At the doctor's office they said that it was the pesticides in the water that I drank was what made me sick, not the bacteria.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Ok now this would really bite (excuse the pun) imagine the scenario.

You are walking along minding your own business when ouch damn fly just bit my forehead *smack* there got my revenge and killed the annoying thing. A few days later things are getting muddy cant seem to focus as much. Few days after that someone keeps putting walls and things I bump into in my way.

And than damn!! my head just popped off.

I really would hate to be the fire ant.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
What is hell is wrong with us?

When has introducing a non-native species into any environment ever turned out to be a good idea in the long run?

When will we ever learn?

We are not Gods! Hell we aren't even smart.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
man i really think if they could doe this to other species then ants we could be in serious trouble like think if they do this to an important animal like bees there wont be flowers anymore maybe and there wont eb fruit to eat

top topics

<< 1   >>

join