It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

De-desertification of Entire Sahara?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Raud

Israel gets most of their water through desalinization plants. The countries on the Mediterranean Sea could build many desalinization plants and irrigate the desert for farming. At one time, the area was very fertile, so it could be possible to return it to its former lush glory.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
A reality is that actual desertification is happening in many places across the globe.

I do suppose that de-desertification could remedy the situation. However, I also feel that nature isn't a force to be battled. If it's going to turn into a desert, it's going to. It's up to us to evolve to use that land more efficiently.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

A lot of the desertification in Africa is caused by poor farming techniques. I personally hate goats because they cause a huge amount of destruction to arable land - they don't crop like cows and sheep do, they literally pull plants out by the roots. They are also agile climbers and can be seen standing on branches in trees munching away.

Where there are large herds of goats, you will also see how the vegetation has been decimated. Once the vegetation is gone, erosion begins to take place, and once the top-soil has been removed, the land becomes a desert.

<< 1   >>

join