It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

War or Starvation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Has anyone else noticed that countries would rather wage war than feed their people?

There is never enough money for desperate human plights, but there is always enough money for war. And war costs mega-bucks. That tells me that mega-bucks are available.

This is so wrong.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 03:56 AM
link   
They'd much rather pay to convert a country to a certain religion then, feed and keep survival alive.

Religion is the after life. What a joke.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Yep. I have noticed this. It's quite evident. It's sad. It seems to be the human condition. It's wrong. I don't know why this crap happens, it just does. All the wealth that is spent on wars should surely be put to better use on peaceful projects that will stimulate growth in humanity.
Growth in understanding, growth in economical systems,

Why do governments spend millions and billions of dollars to kill people, when they could spend less money for irrigation ditches, or sea water desalination factories. Why does California suffer from droughts, and people in Colorado are not allowed to capture rain water from their roofs?
We have the technology and the means and capital to solve all these problems, yet our governments spend money on bull#.

I don't know OP. It's just the way it all works and it works really poorly.
Thanks for questioning. I do that, too. I just haven't found a successful outlet for my concerns. Maybe you can do better than I have done.

Peace!

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by kyred

We need to address this, it is totally disgusting.

And I will probably do no better than you.

Because the powers that be would rather wage war than feed people.

Therefore, we just have to stand by and watch it.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 04:25 AM
link   
My school, back in my school age, went to Honduras to preach christianity to the people. I didn't go on the trip as it was a costly one, with bibles and such. They handed out bibles and such to the natives. They left, with a sense of pride and a 'well done' spirit and were congratulated by the school.

I felt as if I was the only one wondering, 'Now What", they get to know they die a painful, terrible life, know they will go to some great sky palace.....?

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 04:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

So, I have to ask you, what do you belleve?!

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 05:04 AM
link   
Well, one has to consider too that if help and assistance were too easily acquirable, programs such as welfare would be abused a lot more than it is today.

There is a reason why most people refrain from, for example, showing up late to work every day. If it really didn't matter if you lost your job or not because HELP was so easily and readily available, then there would be no consequences for screwing up.

And, I stronly feel that it is not some governments responsibility to take care of you and be your nanny and insurance policy against irresponsibility, wrong decisions, or even just plane bad luck. If it were left up to me, our government would only be responsible for DEFENSE, law enforcement, and coordination on infrastructure projects (i.e. airports, highways, etc.). In my world, the government wouldn't be involved in anything pertaining to the management of our PERSONAL lives! In fact, the government should not even be involved in our economy. There shouldn't even be a social security program, it's not some governments responsibility to take care of saving for MY eventual retirement. The government should NOT be like a charity organization. By providing charity, they are competing with things like churches, and I thought there was suppose to be a separation of state and church. And, they are taking that responsibility away from us. Who has much money left to GIVE, after Uncle Sham has taken your charity dollars away from you via income taxes? I do not want the government to be in charge of my charitably, I don't even want them determining for ME who should receive my charity dollars either.

I believe everyone should be responsible for their own lives and the management thereof. And when people need help, they should turn to their family, their friends, their neighbors, churches, charity organizations. A government should not be involved in social engineering and manipulation and management thereof!

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 09:01 AM
link   
The reason it is this way is because the people waging wars are not the ones starving in their country. People in power become insulated from the citizens and lose touch with daily reality.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I have noticed this too.
War has nothing to do with anything except power.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
There is a whole movement that maintains a healthy economy can only exist when it is supported by an active war industry. An economy like this is called a war economy (aka military-industrial complex) and the concept dates back quite a while..

en.wikipedia.org...

If there really is any reason for the screaming dissonance between supporting the needy and fighting the 'other', I suspect it's related to the turnover of 'several' billions of dollars in forementioned industry. Which to me might be even worse than religious motives - at least there is a hint of good intent in those..

[edit on 13-5-2009 by scraze]

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

Equally pathetic to blame the problem on Christianity, who's missions are at least attempting to do something regarding the problem of starvation.

It would be best to direct one's focus on the problem at hand, and not look for a scapegoat in religion.

Were your parents fundamentalists by chance..?

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by OmegaPoint

Just saying, Christianity tries pathetically to help them, they go over, and from the churches i've seen, on mission trips, they do an interpritive dance to show their love of jesus, hand out a few bibles then leave. Sometimes they'll get water, maybe.

Why not, just pack a bunch of people up, and teach the villagers, more or less like the Peace Corps. That I at least have respect for.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   
No one should be feeding any of these people. They should have been producing their food. War interferes with this process. So we conclude that governments do not care about their own people.

Just as bad are those who do unprovocked invasions and wreak havoc on the people.

We have our own Hall of Shame:
Shame

top topics

join