It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smoking may boost "fat-depleting" gene

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Smoking may boost "fat-depleting" gene

news.yahoo.com

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) – Offering clues to why smokers often gain weight after quitting, a new study suggests that smoking enhances the activity of a gene that helps break down body fat.
Researchers found that compared with non-smokers, a group of healthy smokers showed greater activity in a gene called AZGP1 in cell samples taken from their airways.
Because the gene is thought to be important in breaking down fat and controlling weight, the findings point to one possible reason that smokers
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Everyone that I know that has quit smoking, has always gained weight. I never would've thought that there was more of an explanation than they "fiend" for some nicotine, so instead of smoking, they eat. Doesn't look like I am going to quit for a while. I rather enjoy smoking at the moment, and as a past thread stated, it might also keep me from dying from swine flu too

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 12:55 AM
link   
They actually did a study on this?

Money well wasted.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Creeping Death

Smoking may reduce fat alright - it will turn you into a skeleton sooner rather than later.

I am not preaching anti-smoking but, as a smoker, I wish that young people would not take it up.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by spellbound

It's a pointless addiction. People should be allowed to chose whether they want to smoke or not, but I wouldn't condone or endorse it. I'm a smoker, and I don't wish it upon anyone else.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kaytagg
reply to post by spellbound

It's a pointless addiction. People should be allowed to chose whether they want to smoke or not, but I wouldn't condone or endorse it. I'm a smoker, and I don't wish it upon anyone else.

I regulary tell people smoking makes beer taste so much better.

As a smoker you should know this, that is if you drink beer.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by jd140

Never thought a smoke made beer better, thats just me though mate.

Albeit it, a cigst, makes life less stressful, this is something that Nancy Pelos shoudl take up, you've seen her nervous smile.....

You might have to be a smoker to work in the gov't with Obamas plan to make the gov't thin, but while their at that, maybe just blonder hair blue eyed people should be in there.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

I chew Copenhagan, but when I drink I like a cigarrette. Can't beat it.

Pelosi needs to keep all open flames away from her face. Her face might over heat and melt.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 01:21 AM
link   
I just switched over to an Ecig.

Thus far, no cravings, no withdrawl.....and best yet....NO SMOKING!!!

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by jd140

I actually Lol, when I read your post!

I don't get it, maybe its just me who doesn't like combining the two.

I smoke the Menthol and hardest cig known to man, I'd love to switch to an ECIG, but for someone reason always get lethargic and don't. ugh, one day, < thats my problem. It's almost always one day.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 01:27 AM
link   
This is breaking news?
WHO didnt know that smoking did that? hmm.
Three.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Oh man I am so sending this to my mother. I'll make her stop complaining about my smoking now!

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 01:52 AM
link   
If not for the fact that smoking might cause cancer and other health related problems it is a miracle drug. It boosts your memory, controls the urge for snacking, helps you lose weight, boosts metabolism, is a stimulant. Etc. I don't have the article at hand where I found this information, but when I find it I will post the link. But in all honesty, if I didn't like smoking so much I would quit right now.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Im usually just a "lurker" around here, but i couldn't resist posting to this thread. Ive been smoking since the age of 14, and over 10 years later im still a scrawny, super skinny guy. I'd do anything to gain weight!!

The wife to be is adamant on getting me to quit, and at this point im totally willing too. Even though it mellows me out

I would figure those who gain weight after quitting were also gaining weight due to their oral addiction

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 03:28 AM
link   
reply to post by jd140

Oh, yeah! Smoking cigarettes or cigars DOES make alcoholic beverages taste better. I have done many studies in this. And I guarantee this is true.

I gave up smoking cigarettes a long time ago, but my beer and whiskey tasted flat. So I took up smoking cigars. Wow! What an improvement to the experience!

I also learned long ago that if you take a Husman's potatoe chip and burn it with a cigarette lighter and then dip it in a beer, it tastes like steak. No lie, folks!

Meanwhile, back on topic, yeah, I was a fatty and I started smoking and became a skinny. So, I die from heart failure from smoking instead of dying from heart failure from being a fatty. Tell me, what is the downside to this? lol. Okay, I see a downside. If I don't smoke I leave more money behind for my kids and grandkids. Aw heck! Nobody died and left me money, so my kids can just endure their fate and I will die happy, being a smoker, and non fatty. lol.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Hi,

Last week i fell down a flight of stairs, the result was broken ankle, torn thigh muscle and bruised ribs. Obviously i have been in bed for a week and only the past two days have i managed to slightly stand up.

Now for the good part, i like many others have been a smoker for about twenty years but since the accident and being bed ridden i have had no urge for a cigarette what so ever. Perhaps that has to do with the pain or the discomfort i am feeling. Either way i am very glad that i have been without a smoke for a week now.

To note, that the food taste alot different, its weird but its like the taste buds have woken up in my mouth. Cheece taste different, roast chicken taste alot better, generally i have notice a new taste around many food's and soups.

Also to add :

The list of 599 additives approved by the US Government for use in the manufacture of cigarettes is something every smoker should see. Submitted by the five major American cigarette companies to the Dept. of Health and Human Services in April of 1994, this list of ingredients had long been kept a secret.

Tobacco companies reporting this information were:

American Tobacco Company
Brown and Williamson
Liggett Group, Inc.
Philip Morris Inc.
R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company

While these ingredients are approved as additives for foods, they were not tested by burning them, and it is the burning of many of these substances which changes their properties, often for the worse. Over 4000 chemical compounds are created by burning a cigarette, many of which are toxic and/or carcinogenic. Carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxides, hydrogen cyanide and ammonia are all present in cigarette smoke. Forty-three known carcinogens are in mainstream smoke, sidestream smoke, or both.

It's chilling to think about not only how smokers poison themselves, but what others are exposed to by breathing in the secondhand smoke. The next time you're missing your old buddy, the cigarette, take a good long look at this list and see them for what they are: a delivery system for toxic chemicals and carcinogens.

I think you and everyone should take a look at the various terminal diseases associated with smoking. Warning they will make you sheet bricks.

quitsmoking.about.com...

[edit on 13-5-2009 by tristar]

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Ive been broke as of late and that means ive had to cut down on my smoking drastically.

Ive always thought that smokers who quit gain weight because....they need something to do with their mouths...which turns to eating...(it does for me atleast) and also, cigarettes are a wonderful hunger suppressor. If im ever really hungry with no where close i can get something to eat, a cigarette will kill it for about 30-45 minutes.

thats crazy tho... boosting a gene...HAHA..JEANS

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
if you dont wanna smoke, you dont wanna smoke, you think we smokers dont already know all the illnes and bull#? stop treating smokers like idiots, as if we are oblivious to the fact that # can happen. pisses me off.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
secondhand smoke is bad, agree'd i dont smoke in enclosed spaces with non smokers. but if im outside i dont feel bad lighting up a smoke, you have legs, you can move away from me if you mind it. if you got issues, i got no problem throwing up the middle flag. yeah - im one of THOSE people. its not that i am an asshole, its just ...when i look at you, i see you as a puppet w/o strings.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
the reason you dont want a cigarette is the same reason you dont want one when your badly hungover. the last thing you want to do is have a smoke at a time like that.

[edit on 13-5-2009 by epitaph.one]

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by jd140

Yeah of course, since knowing what gene aids in fat loss will be totally ignored by scientists and people trying to loss weigh.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 08:21 AM
link   
I have never been a smoker but that is true, people that smoke do not gain weight like many nonsmokers counterpart, after my mother stopped smoking she gained a lot of weight and other medical conditions started to set in.

Other risk to look after, my mother was a smoker for 35 years, she developed artery hardening, and by the time she was 56 she had a mild stroke and a stent to repair one of her arteries in the hart, then by the time she was 65 she is now a full blown diabetic as the pancreas shut down from all the prescription drugs she has to take.

Now, why I post this? because she comes from a family that is long live, well into the 90s at least for the females of the family, all her aunts and her mother are in their eighties, no diabetes, no hart conditions but (age related). My mother always say that smoking is what now is killing her.

I believe it.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   
HAHAHAHAAA, we are not killing you off fast enough with poison laced junk food and toxic medicines so therefore we are going to tell you that Smoking is actually GOOD for you, HAHAHAAAA, We'll kill more of you off with lung cancer and then kill off your children in the womb and give those that live deformaties HAHAHAAA. AND we'll make a bundle of cash off you as well and you scrounge around looking for another drag on a ciggie HAHAHAAA...

*cough* so actually , smoking is good for you, it will protect you from the Swine flu and help you lose weight, you'll be healhtier , fitter and of course MORE attractive to the opposite sex. and you'll look cool and hip.

Oh and alcohol ISN'T a depressent either so please drink your fill at your nearest bar.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join