It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm kind of surprised no president has ever killed himself

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   
I would think the pressure would be enormous.

It would be a terrible tragedy, but it certainly strikes me as kind of surprising that no president has ever committed suicide in office. Or gone insane, had a total nervous breakdown, or become seriously clinically depressed, for that matter.

There is some evidence Wilson lost his mind to some degree, but that might have been due to organic damage (from a stroke) rather than anything else. Some of the antics of Nixon and Bush II, for that matter, seemed a bit "unhinged" at times.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 12:07 AM
link   
It is a theory that Reagon started suffering Alheimerzs during his Presidency and that it might have came about because of the pressure.

Its only a theory though.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   
That is a really logical thought.

I would think the reason no presidnet has, is because they have such a vast amount of support around them and have access to the best care possible. Im sure there are also people around them that look for signs of stress, anxiety or depression and step in immiediately.

But look how fast Bush aged and how fast it appears that Obama is aging. You can physically see what the job does to them!

I can not even fathom the amount of pressure that position holds. Just my regular, boring, daily life can take its toll on me at times!

[edit on 5/13/2009 by greeneyedleo]

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Honestly though do you really think that if a President actually suffered from any of the symptoms you mentioned above, that the staffers would allow it to become public?

Many people in high position have alternate lives which can in private reflect some of the illness's you mention in the OP.

As for outright suiside, who knows perhaps the position comes with a warning for those that would ever consider it, there are ways to get people to do as commanded.

As for the alzheimer's and President Regan, I have a pet theory that he was given that absolute disclosure he wanted so badly, but being a possible loose cannon of the time, he was given something which made him develop alzheimer's so as not to be a credible witness for one and two that all of his memories would be wiped clean, lets face it he was diagnosed and it came on way to suddenly after that for it to have been organic in nature.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 12:21 AM
link   
What do you mean Nixon commited sucide didn't he or was some other president, wasn't it Nixon or Kennendy?

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   
it's almost suicide in itself to be "elected" president, and then try and go against the puppet masters

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   
I know, it is surprising.

You would figure there would be atleast one...
I don't know....

Here's an interesting site called "The Political Graveyard" I just came across on "politicians who committed suicide.

politicalgraveyard.com...

John Quincy Adam's son did apparantly. Didn't know that.....

I noticed one of the Kennedy's, in 1871 John Fitzgerald took strychnine.
Most interesting one so far
is Preston King, 1865:

"Tied bags of lead shot to his body, jumped from the ferryboat Paterson, between New York and Hoboken, and drowned in the Lower Hudson River, November 12, 1865."

That's quite the elaborate plan.

Most are self inflicted gunshot wounds.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darth_Prime
it's almost suicide in itself to be "elected" president, and then try and go against the puppet masters

Agreed. You can see the toll that it takes on the body within just a couple weeks or months of the president taking office. Whether the president is really in charge or the spokesperson of a shadow government, it's hard on the body.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

there has been a great deal of discussion about Abraham Lincoln - someone who apparently fought depression his entire life

I'm sure being president didn't help - but, he probably would have been depressed no matter which path he chose

stress is something that can make someone more susceptible - but I wonder if the personality type of a person that chooses to be president doesn't offer some protection

the type of ego necessary to leadership - and some people really do thrive on stress - are more productive - need it to some extent

not that it doesn't wear them out eventually - same as with all of us

but I can see that the type of person that chooses to lead might refuse to acknowledge defeat - even if they were in a great deal of pain

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
The tabloids said that Bush was on a kind of suicide watch in the last few months of his time in office. Sometimes they get things right. Sometimes. I wouldn't be surprised if this was true .... tabloid or not.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Of course not. Have you taken a good look at the VP's? Would you kill yourself knowing one of those fools would become president?

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Good thread, and good to see threads like this. Like my thread on whether the presidents are all posessed by the same demon, in order to keep continuity.

There must be alot of pressure and having no life is alot to deal with and no privacy to a large extent. This is why i think that it is possible that they may be posessed, and there own person may be pushed aside so they can cope with it all.

Nice thread, and if you pair with what i wrote in my own thread on the president being posessed by the same demon, it is an interesting topic.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Interesting stuff, people, thanks for the replies.

I think all modern presidents have been heavily medicated...Kennedy used to take amphetamines back when they were considered safe and legit, which perhaps accounted for the spring in his step and the grin on his face...Nixon was on some kind of pill too, I recall, can't remember the name. They stopped publicising the presidential medication habits after that but it wouldn't surprise me if the CIA or some other nefarious organization keeps the pres's all whacked out on some funky fourth-generation antidepressents not available to the general public.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder
Interesting stuff, people, thanks for the replies.

I think all modern presidents have been heavily medicated...Kennedy used to take amphetamines back when they were considered safe and legit, which perhaps accounted for the spring in his step and the grin on his face...Nixon was on some kind of pill too, I recall, can't remember the name. They stopped publicising the presidential medication habits after that but it wouldn't surprise me if the CIA or some other nefarious organization keeps the pres's all whacked out on some funky fourth-generation antidepressents not available to the general public.

They're all on the "Blue Pill".

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I'm certain every member of the secret service is trained in therapy, at least one or two classes, so they can keep an eye and make sure the President is doing alright.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   

it's because every person that has ever ran for president is hand picked.

they knew they was gonna run for president probably since birth lol

they the chosen few.

new topics

top topics

join