It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US General Builds A Palestinian Army

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   

US General Builds A Palestinian Army

www.commondreams.org

First, the background. For the past three and a half years, Dayton has lived and worked in Jerusalem and across the West Bank, overseeing the creation of three Palestinian battalions of troops, hand-picked in the West Bank, trained at an academy in Jordan, and then deployed in the occupied territory.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
This is an interesting development in the Israel/Palestine soap opera. The US is funding to the tune of 161 million dollars a standing nationalist army in Palestine.

The article seems cautiously sympathetic to the idea and takes Dayton's words at face value. There are allegations that the security force violently suppressed protests supportive of Hamas during the recent incursions by Israel into the Gaza strip.

www.haaretz.co.il...

www.commondreams.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I think it is a great idea. The palestinians need an army for national defense from the likes of Hamas. Even though the current Israeli government is not talking openly about Palestinian statehood, I am sure that it is just a negotiation tactic.

I don't think that there is any way around a two state solution and I am sure that the Israeli government realizes this two. Before the Palestinians can stand on their own in a truely democratic nation, they need to be able to defend against extremist who would seek to take over in the vacuum Israel would leave by pulling out.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by milesp

Dayton told his audience: "If you don't like the idea of a Palestinian state, you won't like the rest of this talk."

Superb

"With big expectations, come big risks," said Dayton. "There is perhaps a two-year shelf life on being told that you're creating a state, when you're not."
story

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. A two state solution is the only way. It sounds like Dayton agrees and it sounds like he knows Israel has no intention of actually allowing it.

I believe the Palestinians deserve to have a country they can call their own and I don't think the fighting will ever stop without it. Here's to at least giving peace a chance. Without it Hamas may very well be reinforced with as many as 5000 ready and able joint U.S. and Israeli trained military force.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I can see the need for a Palestinian force, but why does the US have to train them. Are there no Arabs that could do the training?

The moment something goes wrong the US will be to blame.

new topics

top topics

join