It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will Pakistan Become Obama's Vietnam?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Will Pakistan Become Obama's Vietnam?

www.truthout.org

"Stop the Taliban now - or we will," cried a recent headline in London's Sunday Times. The "we" was the US military, and the discussion took place right after the Pakistani Taliban moved into the Swat Valley, according to a Pakistani official. "The implicit threat - if you don't do it, we may have to - was always there," he said.

Was the threat only bluster to put pressure on the Pakistani military to fight the Taliban? Or do President Obama's national security experts think that American troops can win a war in Pakistan? Either way, the emphasis on "we" can only spell di
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
This is by far the last thing our country needs, war on three fronts, a massive amount of debt and a crumbling economy. Yet out war hungry administration is threatening another war if Pakistan doesn't step up. We already have to deal with Iraq and Afghanistan so why would we possibly want to start another conflict with Pakistan which will just create more anti-American feelings and fueling the hatred the Muslim world already has for us...

www.truthout.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by iamjesusphish

s & f. I think that Pakistan is a potential starter of thw WWIII. and for sure the war is just starting there. I would love to know what is US administration plan for that area.

look at the link below. it can give you some more info on the subject:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamjesusphish

This is by far the last thing our country needs, war on three fronts

You cant stabilize Afghanistan with Pakistan doing what it does next door. It would be one front as Iraq can and will handle themselves. If North Korea started something right now the plan is to remove all troops out of Iraq straight to South Korea.

If Pakistan looks like it will need intervention it will be a coalition of the U.S., Iran and India. Iran and India have worked out most of the details already. They have made ports and land routes available to them in southern Iran. Iran just may have cut a deal with the U.S. long ago and have been acting the whole time. They did offer allot right after 9/11

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Another tidbit from democracy now is saying "US Drone Strike Kills Eight in Pakistan, In Pakistan, at least eight people have died after a US drone blew up a house in the South Waziristan district, near the Afghan border." This is surely to escalate. Not trying to sound like I'm fear mongering but the situation in the Mid East is getting very tense. Israel and Iran are about to go at it as well. It could very well be the beginning of a potential WW3. What better way to jump start the global economy...

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Sky watcher

You really believe that Iraq can and will handle themselves? I'm not so sure. Our timetable for withdrawl keeps being pushed further and further back and the violence seems to be escalating again. I see your point but I am not convinced that the Iraqi government/army is ready yet...

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   
If the US continues it's withdrawal from Iraq, which I think it has to do for financial reasons, the country will descend into sectarian violence. The Sunni's were in power under Sadam. They are only 10% of the population and once the US leaves, I think that it will become open season on Sunnis. This is payback for their treatment of the Shias.

I don't think that the Taliban will be successful in Pakistan. I don't think that they will have the popular support that they will need in the major cities. I think that the US will continue to kill the leadership in the Taliban until the Taliban is ready to settle for just living in the SWAT valley and leaving the rest of Pakistan and/or Afghanistan alone.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Sky watcher

coalition Iran, US and India? - I do not agree with you. there are 4 different players in the area - Pakistan/China, India, Russia/Iran and US/Israel. but I would agree that in the war in Pakistan, Us troops will be supported with NATO forces.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by czacza1

Yea this who coalition with US, Iran and India is absurd. I think you need to go back and check up on your facts about Iran/US relations. India maybe as they are enemies with Pakistan....

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Obama would never be allowed to send troops to Pakistan...UNLESS nuclear weapons are in danger...other than that I see no reason why. Pakistan was just lazy to deal with the Taliban problem becasue they thought that they were only going to stay in the remote areas.

Now that they have shown a willingness to expand their grip on the country they are going to be dealt with. With US support and Pakistan providing intelligence the Taliban would be taken care off in a matter of months.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77

I don't think that the Taliban will be successful in Pakistan. I don't think that they will have the popular support that they will need in the major cities. I think that the US will continue to kill the leadership in the Taliban until the Taliban is ready to settle for just living in the SWAT valley and leaving the rest of Pakistan and/or Afghanistan alone.

. The Taliban is growing stronger and gaining influence. That area of the world is sick and tired of the US presence. Afghanis have had enough. The Pakistan military is completely inept at rooting out the Taliban in their country. Combine that area of the world with some of the roughest conditions for fighting a ground war and you have a hornets nest. The Taliban has adapted in the last few years to our type of fighting and bombings. The situation over there could most definitely be the spark that ignites WWIII. To think otherwise is naive.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 07:22 AM
link   
I don't know about his "Vietnam".

One might say it could end up being his "Cambodia" though.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by iamjesusphish

no, not a Vietnam quagmire...
it is developing as a real world version of the Terminator killing fields,

where Drones and UAVs and robotic shooting machines
will be taking the place of flesh & blood soldiers...

the high-tech arsenals are just beginning to be rolled out for shake-down drills, Afghan & Pakistan (most of central asia) are the new 'proving grounds' and will continue to be throughout the Obama administration/regime

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Obama would never be allowed to send troops to Pakistan...UNLESS nuclear weapons are in danger...other than that I see no reason why. Pakistan was just lazy to deal with the Taliban problem becasue they thought that they were only going to stay in the remote areas.

Who will stop him? The Obamabots? The congress? The senate? Give me a break, they are warmongers as much as Bush was. They have stocks in defense contractors. The are corrupt. Pakistan? Yeah right, they are bombed on a daily basis by NATO and they do nothing. If he wants to go in, he will go in.

new topics

top topics

join