It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Couple's 'buy black' experiment becomes a movement

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 08:53 AM
link   
At least in Chicago, from what I gathered on local news, the attitude in the neighborhoods has been not to patronize black owned businesses in the neighborhoods in preference to Korean or Arab businesses. The reason was a certain resentment toward black businessmen. Don't ask me to explain why. Needless to say white owned businesses found the neighborhoods challenging as well (not profitable) to do business in.

It's about time this attitude is turning around. It just shows you how bad it is by the amount of driving needed to do business with black businessmen who located in more amenable areas.

It's odd that they just discovered this as they voted the least capitalist friendly President ever. Hopefully when capitalism hits the hood, a greater appreciation for it develops.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   
hahaha
I KNEW I would read comments like these in this thread, that's why I kind of avoided it
but today alas, I said why not!

Guys, this is not racist, seriously, you guys are making a mountain out of an anthill.

You guys are looking at this through the eyes of the dominant race that holds a majority in this country, you are unable to empathize. Yes unable, that's not debatable, so please don't try.

There is nothing new out of this. Minorities live in a country where they have not often had people of their race become rich and successful that's all.

You open a chinese newspaper you'll see chinese real estate agents.
You open up an indian newspaper you can pick up at the indian store, you'll see indian real estate agents, indian investors at major banks.
etc.. etc.. etc... I can go on and on with examples like these.

There is nothing racist about it and you guys are making a really big deal about this.
But I can understand why, you are unable to empathize and no MLK is NOT rolling in his grave.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThePiemaker
It's amusing to see racists get upset when black people try and empower their own people.

Some of the posts on here are racist in parts. However, the overall "upset" is about the article which states it is about supporting minority owned businesses but this black couple is not supporting any BUT the black. If it were about minority it would be about ANY minority owned business - not just black empowerment.

If everyone would quit worrying about [insert race] empowerment and go with American empowerment or even World empowerment, then I say yea!

I personally cannot wait until the races have all "blended" together through inter-racial (Hate that word but only one that I can think of) reproducing so this will be a moot point. I wish it was going to happen in my time but it won't.

Part of resolving racial issues is to acknowledge it happened. Done. Apologies for this is crazy. My bad on MY GREAT -GREAT - GREAT Grandady using your GREAT -GREAT - GREAT Grandady as a slave.

Second part is for the "victim" to forgive and let it go. NOT EVEN CLOSE.

Technically, there is no longer a victim just the victim mentality being passed down generation after generation.

But, generations later - her great-great-great granddaughter doesn't really care other than the faint sympathy for her story. BECAUSE SHE DIDN'T KNOW HER or GO THROUGH HER TRIALS AND TRIBULATIONS.

For that matter, there were White, Asian, Indian, Black (of other tribes) and other races that were enslaved by the African tribes for thousands of years. There was a race well known for being slaves of another race (Jews? Ever heard of them?).

the whole point of this post - Racism is becoming more incidious in that it is under the radar and not so obvious anymore and not from who you would expect. It becomes a "us against them" mentality. THAT is what needs to be dropped. There is no us against them. Or at least there shouldn't be.

[edit on 13-5-2009 by mhinsey]

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   
This sort of rubbish is why palestinians are paying for the holocaust. Why are they paying for soemthing that had nothing to do with them, that happened 60 years ago.

All racea have gone through rubbish, i will say again. They used to put up signs in england in shops.

No dgos
No blacks
No irish

So all races have gone through bad times, the english wanted the irish to all starve to death during the irish famine. So tell me which race on this planet has not been through hard times, and why are people so hung up on this black people thing.

This sort of thread is why palestinians are going through hell today for nothing.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   
the utter meaness, and poverty of thought and reasoning on this thread truly beggars the imagination....A couple tries an experiment and discovers that black owned businesses are few and far between in their area - and the ATS gangbangers cry racism????

I wonder why I bother coming on here anymore when I read garbage like some of the "opinions" on this thread...
If the mods think this is too harsh so be it...Racism is alive and well here at ATS and it isn't coming from a couple who buys "black"...

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThePiemaker
It's amusing to see racists get upset when black people try and empower their own people.

So explain to me, how black people treat whites in scalled black countries, and try to equate that to how blacks are treated in white socalled countries.

Its amazing that black people can say anything in society today, because of what people did years ago, do black people not know every race and creed have gone through hell.

Explain to us what black empowerment means, and how many whites lifes have to be ruined for it?

link   
Can't you people get beyond the race issue and look at the bigger picture ?

Bank America, Wall Mart , Home Depot and other corporate entities have all but made small retail businesses such as community Banks, Grocery and Hardware stores all but extinct.

What that means is that the profits leave the local economy but instead are distributed amongst the shareholders instead.

Empowering these corporations has only lead to corporate America essentially owning our politicians and hence our Legislative branch who formulate the laws only to further propagate their corporate agenda.

And Americans wonder what has happened to our Country ?
It is now OWNED by Corporate America !

As the recession has deepened, small businesses are being hit the hardest while the corporations such as GM and Bank America are being bailed out
With our tax dollars ?

As a business owner myself. No customers means no business.
If these people don't support a local small business owner , Black or otherwise , then who will ? Certainly NOT the Walmart shoppers !

Do we really need to perpetuate another casualty and the further enslavement of all of us Americans to Corporate America ?

Wake UP People !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

link   

Originally posted by mhinsey
If it were about minority it would be about ANY minority owned business - not just black empowerment.

semantics
it's not about minority but a specific minority
that's just semantics
moving on.....

If everyone would quit worrying about [insert race] empowerment and go with American empowerment or even World empowerment, then I say yea!

You first!

ok let me rephrase
The race that holds the majority wants the minority to go first?
what a joke

I personally cannot wait until the races have all "blended" together through inter-racial (Hate that word but only one that I can think of) reproducing so this will be a moot point. I wish it was going to happen in my time but it won't.

I wish that never happens
you want the complete destruction of many different and beautiful cultures.

This thinking of yours stems from the fact that you have somewhat of an identity crisis. If I can assume that you are white caucasian you don't know what your culture is, is it neo-american or european.
You don't know, that's why you don't care about culture.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by VEGETA007
You guys on here have no idea what you are talking about because you have not been in their shoes or can relate to anything they are talking about.

How old are you? Your viewpoint is NOT the only viewpoint because you are black.

Because you are black and your great-great-great whomever was a slave and was downtrodden does not mean YOU get to flaunt a victim mentality. When was the last time YOU were barred from somewhere for your color or not given a job due to your color?

There are isolated incidents still in this day and age - however, as a whole the mentality of poor me, my ancestors were slaves needs to be dropped. Life sucks - now get on with it. It doesn't matter your race.

It is not a point of being racist but the truth is in this country almost all the weath go to one set of people that stole this land from one set of people and killed them off then enslaved another set of people and that whole time once the weath was made and passed down from generation to generation none of the wealth was ever passed on to people that really owned this land or worked for free as slaves. So by people now trying to stick together to spend their money by people like themselves how is that wrong.

That is in itself the most ignorant statement. Show some statistical facts that all the wealth is for one set of people. Now, it may be predominantly white but NOT all. I live in a predominantly black town, and quite frankly, it sucks because of the poor slave mentality crap going on here. I have known blacks from other parts of the country come here and call a decent amount of the local black population the dreaded word. They cannot believe the reverse racism that is so blatant. Yep live in the south.

I could care less if you guys wanted to stick together and spend your money on white owned stores because blacks and other races always support white owned places but when is the last time you have gone to a place that is black owned and you know it and spent your money?

No, the races did not support the white owned places. They went and bought a product or service that was needed without regard to the race. That is what equality is about. Try it sometime. I purchase from black-owned stores all the time... Hello, predominantly black town?

Look up equality and look up racism. There is only one of those running rampant in the US at this time - at least in my slice of the US and it's not equality but reverse racism.

I don't owe you a d*mn thing for some supposed ancestor hundreds of years ago who owned slaves. By the way, if you read history - there were BLACK slave owners TOO in the US and US colonies.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by realshanti

Can you imagine what the out cry would be if black people would only shop in white peoples shops in south africa, and they said that on the media.

What sort of reaction would that get. It is not about these people choosing, to do this, it is the fact that the media is projecting this out as good.

Racism is not a term in the dictionary just having the definition of white racism towards blacks you know.

You get this sort of blacks where all treated bad in history from chris matthews, and the ignorance is rife towards this stance on his show.

[edit on 5/13/2009 by andy1033]

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by secretagent woooman

There's only "rich-owned stores" and stores that will eventually be owned by rich people. This "white-owned" idea implies that somehow, because i'm white, i benefit from these stores more than others, which I don't....I'm just waiting for the law that makes it illegal for white owned stores to charge less than black-owned ones.

Btw, how do you tell if something is a black-owned store, anyways? Is there a sticker they put on the window or do they just tint the windows?

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by pizzaguy

Yes, this looks like an advertising campaign. The sales pitch is a sort of participation in the redemption of self by patronizing black business becouse of considerations that are based on the economy of empowerment and not product.

Would it be ok to put a white business out of operation that happened to be close to the black area but spending black only? Say a butcher shop that had been there for years and never moved to the suburbs years ago like others, or sold out. Say they had been serving both black and white customers for years in the area where the two sections sort of blended together. Then a meat shop opens down the road and it should be supported by blacks becouse a black guy owns it.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Its a scam Its a scam its a scam its a scam.

BTW did I mention? ITS A SCAM.

Check the website and just donate to the bloody cause support assinine ways of getting free money fer crisake. DONATE. check their website.

ITS NOT RACISM....AT ALL

btw, did I mention this?

ITS A SCAM

this is a nonarticle....someone close this thread....its a non issue

oh yea...one more time...

ITS A SCAM

sheesh

( thx Log )

[edit on 13-5-2009 by pizzaguy]

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
reply to post by realshanti

Can you imagine what the out cry would be if black people would only shop in white peoples shiops in south africa,a dn they said that on the media.

What sort of reaction would that get. It is not about these people choosing, to do this, it is the fact that the media is projecting this out as good.

Racism is not a term in the dictionary just having the definition of white racism towards balcks you know.

Andy - but the context is not South Africa - this couple lives here in America and their experiment will probably reveal the bigger picture to them and may encourage other African Americans to take part in opening more local retail businesses - nowt wrong with that
- to automatically call this racism is not a reasoned response...it is a knee-jerk reaction that says much more about the racial fears of the speaker than anything else.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by xxpigxx
Well BET and Black history month and all that crap do not help matters . . . neither does affirmative action for that matter

Well as a white person who tries very hard to see the whole picture, I admit to once having this same thought or idea.

But as I step back and look at the entire issue of racism in America, from its conception during slavery, I fair to disagree.

Although so many occurrences happened way before so many of us and didn`t involve many of our own ancestors, the fact is that black people as a whole, were done so extremely wrong in the past, to be blunt, and the effects although much less at this place in time, are still felt today.

Just as the fact that no one actually gets to choose where or who to they are born or what religion one may be born into, no black ancestor ever asked to be put into slavery, their descendants did not ask to be born into it, and many of our fellow black or darker then white skinned Americans, did not ask to be born with this such past.

However, today America is much better, as far as race relations go then it was 20 years ago and more. We have a president with African heritage and he was obviously elected by a lot of white people as well as African Americans because most of us Americans are not racist.

I find it logical that our African Americans would need help through time as so many people held on to the racist attitudes and behavior towards them and they had to fight for their basic human rights to be protected by our Constitution which states "all men are created equal".

I along with most, stand with all Americans, and am content with the fact that African Americans now have more power then before and may choose to exercise their rights however they choose. I stand tall with ALL Americans.

Affirmative action may not sound fair now, but the fact is it gave a chance to a lot of families who would have never made it. I agree if there were a white entertainment channel or white history month, that it would be viewed as racist, but whites were never held back by blacks as a whole before in such a gigantic way.

You have to let go of your fears.
I honestly believe that African Americans have proved to be the most vigilant of most Americans as over such an extended period of time they have overcome huge obstacles here in America and now ultimately we have a black president and as a white person, I`m proud of that.

(Not sure if I like Obama yet, but thats another issue not having anything to deal with race, just NWO.)

While there are racists in all colors, religions and gender, most black people, just like most white people are good people who would never do a repeat of history that we know was so wrong.

These fears of reverse racism and whatnot are just that, fears.
Fear of unknown leads to racism.
Most white racists never had a black friend and vice versa.

If African Americans became the most powerful force in America it would be through a hell of a lot more than anyone else`s race had to go through over such a long period of time. And if this happened, I honestly believe that they would be the last people to want to hurt any group of people based on skin color, religion, etc.

Honestly, I`d like to see an all black government, even if it was for only 4 years. Lets face it, its been pretty much all white for a while and things aren`t working out. Our government is all screwed up.
Give African Americans 4 years at every level of government to adhere to our Constitution and I am sure they would do the best job.

I give African Americans much respect and also long for a time when we don`t describe people by their skin color, etc.

Racism is wrong at every level.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by drwizardphd

drwizard, don't worry, he was being sarcastic and trying to prove a point to the other poster who had a similar post saying "It's not racism, it's just that they want to support their black community"

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by logician magician

Putting money back into your own community is NOT racism.

Like everyone else said.. this isn't racism - and here is why:

Take me, for example. I'm a white man who has recently refused to shop at any black owned businesses or any minority owned anymore, for that matter just like the black couple.

I own my own small business as well, and employ 3 people. I don't hire minorities because I wouldn't feel like I was giving back to white people and supporting the white community if I were to hire a minority. If I were to hire a single, say, black employee, then that would be one member of the white community who wouldn't be receiving my support - and that just isn't right! It would be about as absurd as this here black couple supporting the white community by shopping at a white store!

It's not that I'm racist, or don't want to hire blacks - it's just that they don't usually have the required skill set I need, just like a white barber doesn't usually have the required skillset to work in a black owned barber shop. I tend to need people who have good white oriented customer service skills, and there are a lot of whites who come to my store that just don't understand the ebonics.

I don't go to black owned stores either because I'd rather support white communities. I'm not intentionally trying to contribute to the downfall of the black stores around here even though it's a "price" I pay by supported my fellow white people, it's just that I want to support the white community.

As a matter of fact, there are some black owned stores close by, that have a few items I need - but I'll always travel 20+ miles to shop at a white owned store. Heck, last week it was either spend $5 to get what I needed, or go to the next town and pay $8 for the same product (cost about $80 total due to a flat) but I don't mind. I'd rather spend $80 bucks to buy items at a white store and leave knowing that I am supporting my white community.

I support the white community. I have these bumper stickers on my pick-up, right next to my 2 confederate flags:

"When you buy white, the customer is always right!"

"If you buy black... you're not supporting the white community!

It has NOTHING to do with the color of the skin, and everything to do with the color of the community.

Some people just want to support their community.

... lol

"nothing to do with the colour of skin, and everything to do with the color of the community"

Since the people, with skin, make up the community, how does skin colour have nothing to do with community? I'm from canada i don't really understand....where i live, anything done solely based on race is stomped, and then we put nails in it and hang it, so that everyone can see what happens when you play the "race card". haha, it's awesome. All minorities want from us is our honest opinions, the true measure of equality.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   
as long as its "them" and "us", there will be racism. We do it and don't even realize it. Everyone. Baby steps is the only way to solve racism. It won't get fixed tomorrow or the nex day. But eventually there will be something that makes us brothers. We all have eyes, leggs, arms, and such. Some of us are thin, some are fat, some are bald, some are hairy. I hope to see a small change in my lifetime. A change for the better. To leave hate out of any discussion. maybe if we get invaded by the golgamacks with thirteen arms and green skin, we will have a bit of commonality. We are all brothers, and children of God.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

You first!

ok let me rephrase
The race that holds the majority wants the minority to go first?
what a joke
[quote/]

I have no problems with any person succeeding irregardless of his/her race. That is not my requirement. My requirement is intelligence, impartialness and general fairness.

I wish that never happens
you want the complete destruction of many different and beautiful cultures.

This thinking of yours stems from the fact that you have somewhat of an identity crisis. If I can assume that you are white caucasian you don't know what your culture is, is it neo-american or european.
You don't know, that's why you don't care about culture.

I have no identity crisis. I was born in America. I am of mixed descent (multiple races - European, Irish, black, American Indian, etc. - but yea my skin is white since you must equate with a skin color to understand content of message.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

Guys, this is not racist, seriously, you guys are making a mountain out of an anthill.

Anytime a decision is made due to the persons race, the decision is racist. You can try to sugar coat a turd all you like, but it'll still smell like a turd, and taste like a turd.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join