It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Couple's 'buy black' experiment becomes a movement

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by genius/idoit
also do they only go to "black" doctors,dentists,accountants can their house only be put out by black fireman when it catches on fire?they bettr thank their "black" god for affirmative action!

Was their house built by a black construction business owner who hires only black workers? See we can drag this on forever!

Honestly, the idiocy of this couple is palpable it's humorous. I'd like to see a comedian do a sketch on this, but chances are they won't, unless they're black

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Its about time the blacks started sticking up for each other. I'm Greek and even when I was a kid in the 60's, a couple generations after the big waves of eastern european immigrants came in, Greeks patronized Greeks, Italiens, Italiens and so on. Its no different with the central Americans today and the Vietnamese in the 70's and 80's.

Every other minority group came to America and passed the brothers, who were some of the FIRST AMERICANS. The first generation of immigrants came in opened businesses, busted their butts so the second generation could go to college. The defeat of segregation was a disaster for the black business community. As soon as the Whites Only signs came down, the businesses in the 'hood emptied out. Then for some insane reason, the fatal blow was made when the brothers burnt down their own neighborhoods.

Either out of pity or some nefarious southern plan to keep them down and out for good, Lyndon Johnson got them addicted to the state welfare titty and the rest of us have been paying ever since with tax dollars and a sense of pity for injustices both real and imagined committed by people who died long ago.

I say more power to my black brothers and sisters. Get off your asses and come to the realization that respect must be earned and demanded only when due. Give the next generation inspiration to run your family businesses and fill our colleges with aspiring leaders instead of our jails with dropped trouser losers. Get pants that fit so you can use both hands to operate a business. Try sweeping the floor with one hand. What's up with that?

Before any self righteous, educated black business owners start jumping all over me, take a look in the mirror and consider the statistics and realize I am making broad generalizations based on factual evidence based on comparisons of relative numbers of welfare recipients, high school drop-outs, college admissions, prison admissions and owners of private enterprises.

I grew up in DC, my family owned a business in the hood which was torched in '68. My family cried tears for our business and for the neighborhood we knew was destroyed for ever.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by greysave
All the racist stuff that has happened to blacks, we can't say that we want to support our own business since we have so few?

"we" "we" "we"- the "we" just includes anyone with an acceptably dark level of skin with you- forget the individual, dehumanise and segment

Is that racism or self preservation.

racism- the black "race", the "we", is well preserved, it has grown quite substantially in the US and Africa (and Europe!!).........

You take the point of the article and skew the whole thing, its not about not buying from white people, as they didn't say they were buying not white, they said they were buying black. I don't think white people are the only ones allowed to sell, buying black means not buying latino, which spanish people buy spanish are they racist, what about koreans who buy korean food, is that blatent racism?

If Koreans only buy Korean then it is exactly the same

Back to the point of the article, its not about not buying white, its about how far we haven't come in 400 years.

Some age you are, I'd get onto the Guinness Book of Records

Its about oppression, and the feeling of having nothing to be proud of that is there own.

That is not what these people are doing, they are acting as victims, not as inviduals

Its the feeling of being servents of masters.

people like you, and the black racists in this article, perpetuate this feeling

Its a feeling you obviously can't understand because you weren't oppressed and told to forget about it.

You know nothing about that individual's life- maybe he has had an "oppressed" life, but no, you own the "victim" cloak because you are black- again, are you 400 years old or something?

We want the american dream too, not only to be basketball stars, and football stars, but to own businesses too...

Great

Like myself, I want to start a technology consulting company, I some day would like to provide green power to lower income homes. How many black businesses have you heard of like that?

How many "white" business have you heard like that? Again, dehumanising and retreating into group victim status- such cowardice

In short, everything isn't honkey dorey,

You usine a racial ephitet there, if you want I can fire one back?

I beleive things have come a long way and I am greatful, but I feel far from welcome being black in America.

that is your own personal issues you need to work on, not to use it to justify racism

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by zarp3333
Its about time the blacks started sticking up for each other. I'm Greek and even when I was a kid in the 60's, a couple generations after the big waves of eastern european immigrants came in, Greeks patronized Greeks, Italiens, Italiens and so on. Its no different with the central Americans today and the Vietnamese in the 70's and 80's.

The only point I would make is it is either right or it isn't- ie if it is right for black to shop black, it is right for white to shop white- there are many many poor whites who could do with a hand

Every other minority group came to America and passed the brothers, who were some of the FIRST AMERICANS. The first generation of immigrants came in opened businesses, busted their butts so the second generation could go to college. The defeat of segregation was a disaster for the black business community. As soon as the Whites Only signs came down, the businesses in the 'hood emptied out. Then for some insane reason, the fatal blow was made when the brothers burnt down their own neighborhoods.

Either out of pity or some nefarious southern plan to keep them down and out for good, Lyndon Johnson got them addicted to the state welfare titty and the rest of us have been paying ever since with tax dollars and a sense of pity for injustices both real and imagined committed by people who died long ago.

sort of agree (I think!)

I say more power to my black brothers and sisters. Get off your asses and come to the realization that respect must be earned and demanded only when due. Give the next generation inspiration to run your family businesses and fill our colleges with aspiring leaders instead of our jails with dropped trouser losers. Get pants that fit so you can use both hands to operate a business. Try sweeping the floor with one hand. What's up with that?

Before any self righteous, educated black business owners start jumping all over me, take a look in the mirror and consider the statistics and realize I am making broad generalizations based on factual evidence based on comparisons of relative numbers of welfare recipients, high school drop-outs, college admissions, prison admissions and owners of private enterprises.

I grew up in DC, my family owned a business in the hood which was torched in '68. My family cried tears for our business and for the neighborhood we knew was destroyed for ever.

again, I think I agree (not sure)

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 07:30 AM
link   
If white people "bought white" we would be racist. What is the double standard?

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I guess most people still dont get it. I think as a person of color I spend 90 percent of my money with people that give nothing back to the community. This is the point. its hard for black business to open and stay open. there is no funding and if so we rarely see it. the only people that generally support black business are blacks and most blacks spend with asians and whites, to be fair this isnt a problem. if they have what i want or need, but I believe blacks need to support each other so we can economically empower ourselves and create more business and jobs after all 90 percent of the problems with the black community is economic related, and as we speak they re cutting funding for everything,,, lets please not play stupid here unless you are

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by magnetik
I guess most people still dont get it. I think as a person of color I spend 90 percent of my money with people that give nothing back to the community. This is the point. its hard for black business to open and stay open. there is no funding and if so we rarely see it. the only people that generally support black business are blacks and most blacks spend with asians and whites, to be fair this isnt a problem. if they have what i want or need, but I believe blacks need to support each other so we can economically empower ourselves and create more business and jobs after all 90 percent of the problems with the black community is economic related, and as we speak they re cutting funding for everything,,, lets please not play stupid here unless you are

You know.. I had all this stuff to reply to in regards to this. However, it is obvious that you have not read the entire thread so it is a waste of energy on typing. You read the last 3 or 4 entries and thought you had enough information to put your two cents worth and insult at the same time without thought or consequence. If you do not wish to take the time to read the entire thread then don't bash at the end of a missed conversation. Then that shows YOUR intelligence level.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by magnetik
I guess most people still dont get it. I think as a person of color

what am I translucent, and do you think, robotically like all people of an acceptable colour to you?

I spend 90 percent of my money with people that give nothing back to the community. This is the point. its hard for black business to open and stay open. there is no funding and if so we rarely see it. the only people that generally support black business are blacks and most blacks spend with asians and whites, to be fair this isnt a problem. if they have what i want or need, but I believe blacks need to support each other so we can economically empower ourselves and create more business and jobs after all 90 percent of the problems with the black community is economic related, and as we speak they re cutting funding for everything,,, lets please not play stupid here unless you are

you are being stupid- I just shop depending on price, service and quality of goods- if you wish to make a decision to shop racially then so be it, but don't dress it up as anything other than a racist decision

Of "colour" indeed

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by secretagent woooman

eeeerrrrr news flash the jews and chinese have been doing this for decades. its not racism. jesus

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by TiM3LoRd
reply to post by secretagent woooman

eeeerrrrr news flash the jews and chinese have been doing this for decades. its not racism. jesus

so racism hasn't been around for decades then

if you specifically make a decision to shop at a shop owned by one race it is about as racist as it gets, it is one of the best examples of racism you will find- you may think it is "good" racism but it is still racism

What is it with some people and their orwellian speak

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Just hope either of them don't ever get a Cerebral Tumor !

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by blueorder

my point is that its not ground breaking. certainly not deserving of the attention its getting. as stated before there are a hand full of cultures that stick to their own. partly cultural and partly social. if black people want to shop at black stores whats the big deal. who are they hurting? are they helping people? why does everything always end up in a debate? like a subject needs to be good or bad. people here are so desperate to pick a side and throw down they dont even care what the topic is.

and growing up in a predominantly Anglo-Saxon community i know first hand the dirty face of bigotry. having racist slurs thrown in your face is racism. shopping at a black store to support your own people is just community spirit. like it or not black people and white people are not the same. deal with it. neither are hispanics, asians, indians europeans and eastern european, and so forth. these people are never going to see eye to eye on things. the trick is to share in the similarities and respect the differences. but as usual ego comes in with one culture trying to prove value over another.

just for the record i am neither black nor hispanic nor asian if i had to classify my genealogy the closest would be british/dutch with south east asian, but that has nothing to do with anything. and i only mention it because i dont want people to start assuming anything.

so i have no cultural loyalties and that places me in a unique position. i dont hold any culture over another. in fact tradition is just repetition passed down the years, just because you have been doing something for 200 years doesnt mean its the smart thing to do or the right thing to do. back to the topic this isnt about black people shopping at black stores its about black pride, why do you think there is so much black on black violence? you think thats because of high self esteem??? or do you think its genetic that black people are lazy and dont like to work so they stay on welfare do drugs and commit crimes?? thats what most white people think. they dont say it but they think it. now before you warm up the flame thrower i said MOST. there are some decent humans black white and in between out there but they are few and far between.

racism is here was and will be here as long as human as we know them exist. so if black people want to try to instill some pride in their people who is anybody to knock that. god knows they need as much support as anybody can give them. i am by no means perfect when it comes to racism. i have lost count of the times i look at someone that cut me off notice their asian and think man some asians are bad drivers. thats a form of racism i know this i know i shouldnt judge but im human, and i strive to be more understanding.

so if people want to drive 45 mins to do shopping or buy fuel from black only stores or eat at black owned establishments i say let them. give them something to be proud about.

[edit on 28-5-2009 by TiM3LoRd]

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by mazzroth

are you insinuating that black people are not qualified to perform brain surgery or have a doctorate in Oncology?

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   

my point is that its not ground breaking. certainly not deserving of the attention its getting. as stated before there are a hand full of cultures that stick to their own. partly cultural and partly social. if black people want to shop at black stores whats the big deal. who are they hurting? are they helping people? why does everything always end up in a debate? like a subject needs to be good or bad. people here are so desperate to pick a side and throw down they dont even care what the topic is.

I am not saying it is good or bad but calling it what it is, a racist choice- clearly if you shop based on race it is a racist choice- there is clearly no denying of that

What if every white in the US decided to buy only white and speak to only white and deal with only white etc- those would all be a "subject" and a "choice"- they would be racist choices though

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   

I am not saying it is good or bad but calling it what it is, a racist choice- clearly if you shop based on race it is a racist choice- there is clearly no denying of that

What if every white in the US decided to buy only white and speak to only white and deal with only white etc- those would all be a "subject" and a "choice"- they would be racist choices though

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   

are you insinuating that black people are not qualified to perform brain surgery or have a doctorate in Oncology?

I think he is inferring, given that blacks are only about 14% of the population, the chances of such a surgeon being black are rather small, and would their principles be so "principled" then- I think we all know the answer

[edit on 28-5-2009 by blueorder]

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Completely racist. If this was white people buying white theyd get lynched. You cant talk bad about the KKK when you have black people doing this. They have no room to talk bad about any race based groups when they are showing that they prefer to be racist themselves.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
So these business are owned by blacks, run by blacks and employ only blacks?

My god, imagine if the owner of Walmart or any other big business owned by Whitey decided to only employ whites?
You can see where this is .ed........

It's either legal for ALL for legal for NONE.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by blueorder

if they are racist then so are 90% of the jews and most other industrious races. why isnt there a thread on how racist they? the only difference is that these people have openly admitted what millions of people are doing and have been doing for decades. does it make what they are doing right? probably not but they dont HATE white people, they are just trying to help their people. why cant you see that. you need to get out of this us or them mentality. there are way more white people in the US than there are black so look at the statistics. all these people are trying to do is give their brothers and sisters a hand.

look at the end of the day racism is a bottom dweller issue anybody earning more than 5 or 6 million a year wont have to worry about it. well maybe a little. but the rich dont care about the colour of your skin. all they care about is how big our wallet is. they look down on people because they are not as rich or powerful as them. there are just as many elitist power mongers who are black as there are white. so lets not forget whats important here. be it black white or blue we are all in the same boat. bickering about who shops where seems trite and pointless.

To answer a previous question what if whites only shopped at white stores yes there would be an uproar. but thats only because white people control the united states and most of the first world countries. i think its safe to say white people have nothing to fear from black people buying black. you should be more concerned with how your getting screwed by the government.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   
as a mixed guy white mom black sperm done i believe to not purchase or associate one self with someone else because of ethnicity or religion is wrong and thats not what mlk and people like him wanted

but they are not saying that white people are evil just that they want to support their people as the dude below me said and i agree with his statement

[edit on 28-5-2009 by dreaken1993]

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16 >>

join