It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Couple's 'buy black' experiment becomes a movement

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by greysave
I don't think white people are the only ones allowed to sell, buying black means not buying latino, which spanish people buy spanish are they racist, what about koreans who buy korean food, is that blatent racism?

I will repeat again why latinos buy more from latinos, korean from korean, chineses from chineses etc.... It's because the LANGUAGE.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 06:22 AM
link   
They sound like a right pair of idiots to me. Why is anyone giving them airspace? Just ignore them, i say!

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Actually if they need a plaster for a childs cut knee or paracetamol for a headache, would it matter then? They seem rather selfish to me.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Actually if they need a plaster for a childs cut knee or paracetamol for a headache, would it matter then? They seem rather selfish to me.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Question

...Perhaps replace their japanese car with a "black" made car. Anybody know a "black" made car? What would that be called? "Browns mobile"? or a UPS truck?

[edit on 14-5-2009 by Question]

I know it was a joke. But THAT was uncalled for. No one likes to have their race made fun of. It would be like saying only white folks drove Yugos... which would probably have been true.. but still does not need to be based on race.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by greysave

All the racist stuff that has happened to blacks, we can't say that we want to support our own business since we have so few? Is that racism or self preservation. You take the point of the article and skew the whole thing, its not about not buying from white people, as they didn't say they were buying not white, they said they were buying black. I don't think white people are the only ones allowed to sell, buying black means not buying latino, which spanish people buy spanish are they racist, what about koreans who buy korean food, is that blatent racism?

First, they stated they are specifically going to buy black. No they did not reference white or any other race. They are excluding all of NON-BLACK race. That infers racism. Now if they just did it for their own reasons - fine. I don't care. However, once you come on TV and have a news article stating you are supporting "Black Empowerment". THAT is when I have a problem. They are trying to encourage other blacks to do that. That is possibly inciting a large group of people that could effect the local community which has HIRED blacks even if not owned by blacks.

You don't hear about any other race only buying from their race. Why because they don't exclusively shop their racially owned stores. They also shop at any local grocery store as well as the ethnically related store. They buy wherever it is most economical and service is decent. They don't give a rats *ss about who owns it - just the cost of the product and service.

THAT IS THE ISSUE WITH THIS COUPLE AND THE ARTICLE.

Back to the point of the article, its not about not buying white, its about how far we haven't come in 400 years. Its about oppression, and the feeling of having nothing to be proud of that is there own. Its the feeling of being servents of masters. Its a feeling you obviously can't understand because you weren't oppressed and told to forget about it. We want the american dream too, not only to be basketball stars, and football stars, but to own businesses too... Like myself, I want to start a technology consulting company, I some day would like to provide green power to lower income homes. How many black businesses have you heard of like that? In short, everything isn't honkey dorey, I beleive things have come a long way and I am greatful, but I feel far from welcome being black in America.

When was the last time YOU called someone "MASTER". If you have that mentality I can get some medical referrals for your inferiority complex since I cannot imagine you EVER "picking cotton massah" bull. For that matter, there is nothing wrong with picking cotton - my parents and grandparents did. But the INFERENCE that YOU have been oppressed is B*LLSH*T. If someone has acted racially towards you ... that probably has happened. I have had it happen to me. I called them a putz and went on. What that little pinhead thought did not affect me for more than 2 minutes. Why, because I don't have a "victim" attitude. Get over it. Get over yourself. Your color is but a small part of WHO you are as a whole. You have a mom, dad, sister, aunt, uncle, dog, cat, job, car, etc... just like every other schmoe in this great America.

DO NOT BLAME OTHERS if YOU have not utilized your full potential. Before you blast me back, you might want to read through the thread and make sure of what you say about me. I am not busting you on being black. I am busting you on being racist - even if you don't realize it.

As to you wanting to open a business. So do I. I, however, know it is not feasible at this time due to ECONOMY. NOT THE COLOR OF MY SKIN. It is due to my lack of knowledge about running a company or about how to set it up. However, I do not presume that anyone other than myself is responsible for getting that business for me. If you want to get something based on the color of your skin... go for it. I prefer to do it on my own through my hard work and dedication. That way I KNOW I am entitled to it instead of thinking I am. I owe no one for my financial well-being and no one owes me for theirs. When did people forget that America is about the PURSUIT of Happiness. Not the actual getting.

If you feel unwelcome in America. It seems it might be because you feel entitled. Get off your duff, study up, call companies of similar type you want to open, talk with the owners, find out what it calls for to open it. For that matter, almost every city has a department or place that helps small businesses with learning how to have a private business.

Quite blaming and start working. You will have whatever you want if you persevere. Now, if you want information on who to call or ask for help on starting your business... U2U me and I will give you whatever I can find. I am a pretty good researcher.

[edit on 15-5-2009 by mhinsey]

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I have a black co-worker who i have to consistently remind that his remarks are so blatantly racist that its disgusting. Even after reminding him that its pissing me off, he has the audacity to try and bring in evidence of racism against his people. i believe there was a youtube video of a popeyes chicken that ran out of chicken and closed early, apparently the reporter decided to only report the black people who complained, and not the white people. Didn't take too long to realize that there were NO white people complaining about the missing chicken, and I showed him what an idiot he is once again.

I for one am so sick of hearing about how terrible white people are, and they can make fun of anything about us which we have to take. Some of it is in jest; i know i cant dance and i like skinny girls, but for real, a lot is just hate speach.

My family is irish and polish. both had to flee their country to escape starvation and death from oppression. I don't want to hear anything about how oppressive and terrible I am, when not only did I not do anything to anyone, but my family was oppressed itself.

The world is full of people who will use and abuse anyone it can, and the color of your skin doesn't escape it, or paint you to accept it.

Get over what has happened, and live on. The only person crying for you is YOU.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by mahtoosacks

Just for the record... In my humble opinion - It's not cool for any one to make fun of another's race in general discussions. Not anyone - no matter your color. If you are black then don't white cracker me unless we have a relationship and we understand the rules. ditto for any ethnicity. You don't know who might be accidentally offended by not knowing your personality and weird sense of humor or your background. I have had to learn that the hard way. I will do it but try not to. It is a very hard thing to change the way you have conversations so as not to include ethnicity. I don't think there is a person alive who can be completely lack of ethnicity reference in conversations. All you can hope to do is try your best.

I am a white woman, raised in predominantly black settings - school, work, social. However, it is assumed I am being racist when I say something that someone being black would say and no one would think twice. For example: It could be something about the hair texture of a "black" friend in comparison to my hair - typical white - fairly straight and so forth. I inevitably get some crazy rant from some jerk. I live in Alabama. Cradle of the Confederacy - racial issues abound here even more than many other cities/states. It is crazy how someone hears one sentence of a conversation and go off like a crazy person without hearing or knowing the context of the whole conversation where it would have made sense. That is the craziness I live everyday. I have to deal with reverse racism like you would not believe. I wanted to put a hidden camera on and walk to my school classes to prove the "reverse" racism.

Then, I realized it didn't matter. It will not change the idiots who were racist. They will continue because they are idiots. All I can do is be the best I can be and get over it when the idiots start up.

[edit on 15-5-2009 by mhinsey]

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by mahtoosacks
I have a black co-worker who i have to consistently remind that his remarks are so blatantly racist that its disgusting. Even after reminding him that its pissing me off, he has the audacity to try and bring in evidence of racism against his people. i believe there was a youtube video of a popeyes chicken that ran out of chicken and closed early, apparently the reporter decided to only report the black people who complained, and not the white people. Didn't take too long to realize that there were NO white people complaining about the missing chicken, and I showed him what an idiot he is once again.

I for one am so sick of hearing about how terrible white people are, and they can make fun of anything about us which we have to take. Some of it is in jest; i know i cant dance and i like skinny girls, but for real, a lot is just hate speach.

My family is irish and polish. both had to flee their country to escape starvation and death from oppression. I don't want to hear anything about how oppressive and terrible I am, when not only did I not do anything to anyone, but my family was oppressed itself.

The world is full of people who will use and abuse anyone it can, and the color of your skin doesn't escape it, or paint you to accept it.

Get over what has happened, and live on. The only person crying for you is YOU.

Totally agree with you mate.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by mhinsey

I wanted to put a hidden camera on and walk to my school classes to prove the "reverse" racism.

Although I understand every word of what you just said in your previous post I think that the real issue (that has been addressed once or twice already) is the notion that there are two or three different sorts of racism.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS "REVERSE RACISM!"

RACISM- 1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others. 2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

These are the basic definitions that cover the general scope of what racism is. It is not owned by any one race and therefore can not be reversed or redirected. It matters not from which group of people it may originate, it is racism none the less. Only in America do we allow for such an idiotic and absurd ideal of "politically correct" crap to exist.

If a Black man is calling you a cracker it is racist. If a Latino calls you a "chink" he's a racist. If a Jewish man calls you goyim, he's a racist. Racism knows no bounds and its guilt nor it's sorrows are owned by any one race or ethnicity.

And that is what this thread boils down to. That is what the whole outrage of this story boils down to. If this was a white person doing this they would indeed be called a racist.

I understand the idea that is behind bringing the wealth back into the Black community. It does make sense. "If you want to make your community better than you need to lend your support to your community."

However, the fact still remains that if a white couple did this it would be considered a "White supremest concept." Well to those that are against all forms of racism maybe this seems like the "Black supremacy" preached by the Black Panthers and Louis "Eugene Walcott" Farrakhan. Both are equally ethnocentric and based on the concept of racial supremacy. And neither is any less wrong than the other.

The other issue that nobody lends much credence to is why are there no Black owned businesses in the Black areas of Chicago??? Well there used to be.

This is an excerpt from a Sociological review that is making reference to an old yet flourishing trend of Black owned businesses in the Black communities. I don't recall when it was written or the exact context. So it may seem a bit weird. But it is speaking about a rise in Blacks entering the retail trade in "segregated Black communities."

The wording is connotative of an earlier time, but it's the fact that there was once a thriving black owned business market within the northern cities (i.e. Chicago) that I'm getting at.
www.springerlink.com...

And now take a look at this documentary.
www.justin.tv...

en.wikipedia.org...

And here is a link to a documentary on the 68' Riots on the West Side of Chicago. they give mention to the looting in the shops but make the mistaken reference to "White" shops. In fact I know old cops and regular citizens that say it was mostly "Black owned shops" in the neighborhood and all shops were looted indiscriminately.

Now, bearing this in mind logically ask yourself why it is that the only Black owned grocer has his store in a Hispanic neighborhood. I don't think that any business man that has a very narrow profit margin and a big risk as it is will make a move to put his business on the West or South Sides of Chicago's predominantly Black ares.

I know that you are all familiar with the stories of murders and slaying of kids in gang shootings. Well the sad fact is that the greater part of those shootings are in these areas. It is in fact a risky place to have your business when you have drug dealers on every other corner and rival gangs at war over corners that average anywhere from 15 to $25,000 a day in drug money. And yes, the areas are that bad. I have been up and down Madison Ave., Roosevelt, Chicago Ave, Stoney Isle., etc. etc.etc. People don't stand on street corners for fun.

I know that I personally would rather put my business in another area, where I didn't have to worry about such things. And I'm sure that merchants that have lots to risk by going into business in the first place think this way also. And before the apologist set in, I could care less if it were a Black crime ridden area or a Purple one a bullet is no respecter of persons and I wouldn't want to catch on while at work.

[edit on 15-5-2009 by lazy1981]

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by lazy1981

I would agree to your concept there is no reverse racism. I use the term loosely so as to give the idea that -

... OMG!! Someone BESIDES the minority CAN be discriminated against for their ethnicity.

Like... totally!!

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

Originally posted by saturnine_sweet

I am not sure what is worse. The horrible, blatant racism of this couple, or the fact that the AP is peddling this garbage as news. Welcome to the new world of racism. I hope you're not white.

Wow... no one ever taught you the meaning of the word racism did they?

This is the FURTHEST thing from racism. These people simply want to support their community. That's a far cry from trying to oppress white people or any other race for that matter.

Putting money back into your own community is NOT racism.

That's like saying someone who saves for their future is selfish.

[edit on 12-5-2009 by HunkaHunka]

Putting money back into their community by traveling far and wide for services? Shopping at local stores--regardless of the race of the owner--would be putting money back into their community; what they're doing isn't. You are suggesting that race is the defining factor in their community rather than economic interconnectedness or locality.

They are deciding on who they do business with strictly by the race of the owner. This is textbook racism. And in case no one taught YOU the meaning of racism:

rac·ism (rā'sĭz'əm)
n.

1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by mhinsey

Yes, I'm sure some people (such as yourself) feel that I "went too far" but I'm sorry, perhaps they went too far with their so called "movement" and somebody needs to show them how ridiculous they are being when they say "we're going to buy only black" Sometimes, it is unfortunate to say, some people (such as this couple) don't really learn the errors of their way unless somebody makes a dramatic example.

I show and give respect when it is given in return. Since they obviously seem to have a qualms with whites as apparently we "still are oppressing blacks" then perhaps they don't deserve ANY respect from me whatsoever.

Listen Mhinsey, I really do appreciate your post, I do. Because more oft than not, you sound like a very smart and rational person. Something that is RARE nowadays. That being said though, I can't show this couple any respect, let alone even acknowledge their "accomplishment" as some kind of "heroic" work that the media is trying to push. So what's the opposite of that then? make fun of THEM, show them how ridiculous their movement is especially when you take into consideration that there are many products that they own and use, that more than likely are NOT "black made"

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by saturnine_sweet

Well said. Glenn Beck recently read the article on the radio and replaced "black" with "white" just to show how racist is was.

My definition of "racist": someone who sees everything in terms of race. We can't have "good" racial discrimination and "bad" racial discrimination.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Most of you are making too big of a deal out of this. Yes, when I read it I was slightly disgusted. However, all of you white people who are calling this disgusting get over it. I am sure there are white people doing the same or similar things. It doesn't hit you the same way because it is not against you or the group you are part of.
We shouldn't be paying attention to these people (of any color). Honestly, screw them. They make the world a worse place to live in.
I'm guessing some of you are saying to yourselves and your friends, "You see, I knew these people were like this." For those of you who are, you are just as bad as the people in this article.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Question
reply to post by mhinsey

Yes, I'm sure some people (such as yourself) feel that I "went too far" but I'm sorry, perhaps they went too far with their so called "movement" and somebody needs to show them how ridiculous they are being when they say "we're going to buy only black" Sometimes, it is unfortunate to say, some people (such as this couple) don't really learn the errors of their way unless somebody makes a dramatic example.

I show and give respect when it is given in return. Since they obviously seem to have a qualms with whites as apparently we "still are oppressing blacks" then perhaps they don't deserve ANY respect from me whatsoever.

Listen Mhinsey, I really do appreciate your post, I do. Because more oft than not, you sound like a very smart and rational person. Something that is RARE nowadays. That being said though, I can't show this couple any respect, let alone even acknowledge their "accomplishment" as some kind of "heroic" work that the media is trying to push. So what's the opposite of that then? make fun of THEM, show them how ridiculous their movement is especially when you take into consideration that there are many products that they own and use, that more than likely are NOT "black made"

Well, to begin with... thank you. I appreciate the frustration that these racist egotistical doofus' bring out. I thought about it and it is frustrating to be considered racist just because you are white. I remember someone stating that blacks couldn't be racist (not on this thread). I just laughed. I had to look up the definition for them and explain it did not define by skin color but by discrimination of skin color. I have some of the most indepth discussions in regards to race living in Alabama. In some ways the people here are more open in regards to these discussions and other times even more backwards - both black and white.

So, I agree with you in that I have no respect for these two opportunistic racists dopes. I also have have to respectfully disagree with only buy from white owned companies.

More accurately, all who are offended should not purchase from any of the companies that are listed on this dorky couple's website as endorsing this racist empowerment. Even more so, send a letter to each one notifying them of such boycotting and that you are giving their information to everyone YOU know to continue the boycott.

Hurt 'em where it really counts.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by mhinsey

Well the whole issue and e-mail that I sent them about "buying only white" was actually just joking and sarcasm. I was simply showing to them how it would feel if WE did it, and hence, hopefully they'd get an epiphany and see that they're being just as hyppocritical

No, I won't "just buy white" since there are a lot of japanese stores I like in my area and my japanese sword collection need expanding
Plus I'm sure the store owners would be mad at me, especially after being so friendly
so don't worry, I won't actually be following on the steps of these two nitwits

[edit on 16-5-2009 by Question]

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I wonder if they only get there welfare money from black tax payers to finance their "experiment"and yes if your black and only buy black it's racist

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by genius/idoit
I wonder if they only get there welfare money from black tax payers to finance their "experiment"and yes if your black and only buy black it's racist

GENIUS! On that note... do they accept those "wonderful donations" only from blacks? or can us "selfish greedy" whites donate too?

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
also do they only go to "black" doctors,dentists,accountants can their house only be put out by black fireman when it catches on fire?they bettr thank their "black" god for affirmative action!

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join