It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FDA declares Cheerios a drug?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Ok - so now that Cherrios is in line -

When are they going to have to label genetically modified foods that were never properly tested - but lined the pockets of Rumsfeld and the like?

Why did they remove B6 in some places - one of the best ways to combat asthma/respiratory related disease?

When are they going to stop using the pesticides that are causing disease in people?

Where are we going to put all of the nuclear waste? In the ground where we grow our food.

When are they going to remove the fluoride from the water?

BS.

[edit on 12-5-2009 by spinkyboo]

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by spinkyboo

Excellent rebuttal and analysis of the situation!!

What about all those you mentioned? Oh, bet we won't hear a thing about them, it is only foods that are "good" for you - the govt. goes after, not the bad stuff - those are all ok!

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   
A matter of perspective later translates into semantics which ultimately leads to unfair regulations. I fear that politics takes precedence over the human condition.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13
If something can lower health problems like high cholesterol, that means it's technically a drug. In order for it to be marketed as such, it needs to be tested in trials by the FDA to show that it actually does these things and has no horrible risks.

So, using that logic, ginger root is a drug? How can I trust anything the FDA says since they have proven themselves many times over to be worthless? Testing by the FDA is basically how much money the product maker can throw the FDA's way. Why do they not go after anything that is marketed as natural? That's a huge misnomer. Now, I don't know about Cheerios, what it is or if it's good at all, but why are they singling it out? I would bet that Cheerios are better for you than soft drinks, I don't see the FDA going after those. At least, yet.

Source

The active ingredients in ginger root include volatile oils and pungent phenol compounds known as gingerols, sesquiterpenoids, and shogaols. Ginger oil represents 3 percent of the ginger plant, and it is the oil that causes the spicy fragrance. Recent studies show that ginger has strong antioxidant properties. In addition, ginger reduces inflammation by inhibiting prostaglandin biosynthesis, specifically cyclooxygenase-1 and cyclooxygenase-2. These effects make ginger comparable to those of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications although ginger does not cause the side effects characteristic of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications. Ginger also suppresses the immune system's production of proinflammatory cytokines and chemokines, reducing disease severity in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Read more: autoimmunedisease.suite101.com...&B

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13
If something can lower health problems like high cholesterol, that means it's technically a drug. In order for it to be marketed as such, it needs to be tested in trials by the FDA to show that it actually does these things and has no horrible risks.

This seems to be where the label is getting into trouble. If it makes those specific claims, it's a drug. Technically, by definition, General Mills is making the claim Cheerios is a drug.

There are "authorized claims" which General Mills could indeed say about its product.

"Diets rich in whole grain foods and other plant foods, and low in saturated fat and cholesterol, may help reduce the risk of heart disease."
the claim must state that diets high in fiber-containing grain products, fruits, and vegetables may reduce the risk of some cancers. The claim on your website leaves out any reference to fruits, vegetables, and fiber content. Therefore, your claim does not convey that all these factors together help to reduce the risk of heart disease and does not enable the public to understand the significance of the claim in the context of the total daily diet
the authorized claim states that diets rich in whole grain foods and "other plant foods" may help reduce the risk for certain cancers. However,the claim on your website does not mention "other plant foods.
The claim authorized through the notification procedure does not emphasize the relationship between whole grain foods and stomach and colon cancer as compared to other cancers.

It's not that Cheerios can't live up to the authorized claims, which would state the health benefits of Cheerios. It sounds like GM is leaving out other parts of the claim that should be in there.

Maybe, for example, if they had boldly stated fruits and vegetables should be in the diet, too, they would have been correct about the health benefits they claim. IOW, you can't merely rely on Cheerios alone for GM's claims, which is what GM would surely like us to believe. It's advertising, but it should not be misleading advertising.

Now, I'm hungry for a bowl of Cheerios!

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
There should be an agency that prosecutes politicians for misleading statement. Seems though like General Mills and Cheerios are getting a decent amount of FREE publicity out of all this, and the FDA is looking more stupid than ever before. Instead of inspecting the wording on the packaging, they should be checking everything for melamine and pesticides. I wonder if all this will increase their sales. The FDA should be worrying about all those DRUGS that ARE in our drinking water. Sure seems like a lot of idiots end up working for the government.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   
It's about time somebody did something about this. I was a cheerio addict for years. As a child I ate cheerios every morning. I couldn't have breakfast without them. I'd eat them by the bowlfull. Sometimes I'd even eat them without milk, just grabbed a handful and ate them straight from the box. It was brutal. I don't know what I'd have done if my family hadn't intervened.
They all gathered together one morning and confronted me with eggs and bacon. I was mad at first and refused to change. They put me into a treatment center and I finally got the help I need. It was hard to do but I'm cereal free now.
Remember. You too can overcome Cheerios addiction.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by interestedalways
God forbid people are aware that they can eat healthier and not have to go on expensive medication in many cases.

How blatant!

Amazing................

They got in trouble because they are liars.

Did you know how companies get the heart healthy label? They buy it.

This is actually the reason we even have an FDA. They screw up many things but this they got right. Cheerios is not a replacement for heart medication and isn't even that great for you.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by spinkyboo
Ok - so now that Cherrios is in line -

When are they going to have to label genetically modified foods that were never properly tested - but lined the pockets of Rumsfeld and the like?

Why did they remove B6 in some places - one of the best ways to combat asthma/respiratory related disease?

When are they going to stop using the pesticides that are causing disease in people?

Where are we going to put all of the nuclear waste? In the ground where we grow our food.

When are they going to remove the fluoride from the water?

BS.

All these things will come to pass once the American people wrestle the control of this insane run-away freight train away from all those corrupt demons in Washington. Theoretically it can all be fixed, but not before the authors of these truly unbelievable horrors are all behind bars inside one of their own FEMA camps. Seriously, it's becoming so insane it's almost surreal. The head of this beast absolutely has to be lopped off. Realistically, there is no other possible way that I can think of.

[edit on 12-5-2009 by Albertarocks]

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 04:51 AM
link   
I love cereal with sliced banana's..

but I guess it would be crazy if every food product did this...

the way they advertise products is strange sometimes...

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Ohh, I am in tears at the moment. Thank you for such a wonderful headline.

I was wondering when they would finally start the crusade against the evil of breakfast cereal.

Come on, are you kidding me? First vitamins now cereal? Jesus, the next thing will be no more Flinstone vitamins cause the FDA will say they promote drug usage for kids.

Wow, these people really don't have their heads turned on right. They should person remove them from each other's colon's and breathe some fresh air.

~Keeper

HAH! I could totally see the FDA banning kid's vitamins .........

It will go something like this:

spokesman for the FDA says "After much deliberation (1 meeting) we have decided to ban children's vitamins (rx vitamins anyone?). The reason for this is because children's vitamins promote usage of amphetamine or SPEED (digusted tone) and MDMA or ecstasy. As both are taken the same way children's vitamins are. Which we all know, will leed to YOUR CHILDREN* (emphasized) shooting heroin and ultimately overdosing and killing.... themselves (looks around the room). We have numerous studies to back this up (completely made up) *gives the mic to a few PHD doctors, then the doctors return the mic after brainwashing the audience*. I know this may be hard for some of you to accept (deliberately playing it down) but this will 'save lives'.... This is the next step in the war on drugs!... And we... will... win this war.

That is all."

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 07:41 AM
link   
The Today show did a segment about it this morning - agreed it was completely asnine for the FDA to be doing this.

Nice to see MSM actually standing up for something - for once.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 07:55 AM
link   
So is water, I believe it is calle H2O .... the lonely oat grain.... I bet total Total Cereal 100% of your daily requirement of Government Bull &^%$.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by fraterormus
As others in this thread have sagaciously pointed out...

1.) The "F" in F.D.A. stands for "FOOD". Giving them powers over Food & Drugs.
2.) Cheerios is a Food.
3.) General Mills claimed on the Cheerios box that it had the unsubstantiated abilities of a Drug.
4.) The F.D.A. made General Mills conform to being a Food again by removing the label otherwise they would have to comply with the applicable rules for Drugs.

It makes perfect sense and no harm was done by the F.D.A.

You can't take any Snake Tonic, sell it as a Food Supplement, yet make claims that it can do what a Drug can do...i.e., "Two Doses of Snake Tonic a Day Prevents Heart Disease!" Vitamins can't do this either, nor can Natural or Organic Foods. General Mills simply shouldn't be able to peddle their Food as a Drug either. It was General Mill's faux pas to begin with. The F.D.A. just set them straight and told them to play by the same rules everyone else has to.

There are far more dangerous prescription drugs out there that have been blindly approved by the FDA. They make many claims of healing ability, yet most fail to provide anything beneficial whatsoever. These, worthless, FDA approved "Snake Tonics" do provide plenty detrimental side effects, though. Side effect claims from these drugs are much more accurate than the healing abilities. They include lymphoma, coma, stroke and death, just to name a few!

When the claims made by cereals and vitamins can be shown to cause, even minor, negative effects, let alone those caused by pharmaceuticals, then the FDA can speak of it. Until then, go find something that's actually beneficial to waste our money on. Oh that's right, I almost forgot, the FDA has no intention of benefiting our health or telling us the truth about anything. They have another agenda this year.

They only have until November to convince the public that vitamins and nutrients are destroying our health. They must convince everyone that anything believed good for health has been found to be the opposite. FDA will tell us that vitamins are what is killing us and free radicals is what we want in our bodies! Toxins are the new health kick! Vitamins are reversing the effects gained by exercising! Once they have everybody convinced of this twisted logic we will gladly agree to let them regulate these horrible vitamins and nutrients that are causing our early deaths!

Please refrain from believing the federal government. They have never earned the right to be trusted, but have let us down on nearly everything. They are never free from the lies they are caught up in. This has been proven over and over and it's time to stop listening to them!

Peace!

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by spinkyboo

Good questions to ask one's congress person!

ATS allows us to discuss things of concern to us, but talk is still talk unless it's converted into action.

If we can spend time writing at ATS, it's more important to let our elected officials know how we feel.

If we can spend time searching online, search for gov email addresses of people/organizations who need to hear us. It really is easy to send an email. Do it fearlessly.

"This is the strongest action taken by the FDA against misleading health claims for foods in almost a decade," said CSPI legal affairs director Bruce Silverglade.

"I hope the FDA is signaling the entire food industry that the Bush era policy of lax enforcement has come to an end.

The FDA should also stop misleading claims for so-called 'whole grain' products that are mostly made with white flour and foods claimed to be made with fruit when they only contain trivial amounts of juice."

italics mine
source

When you want to weaken/eliminate the FDA, you play into the hands of corporations!!

To answer the question...NO...the FDA did not say Cheerios was a drug...GM did!

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I am extremely concerned that these diabolical labels are undermining civilization as we know it.

God forbid someone interptretes this claim on General Mills product as so good that more is better.

Could you imagine someone actually ingesting double the stated cholesterol lowering amount?

What would happen if one were to consume 3 ounces of cheerios twice daily?

Could it cause or produce organ failure?
Stroke? Nausia? death? or worse...what if it reduced bad cholesterol twice that of the claim our watchdog FDA has now warned about?

My God!
Soon companies such as Montesano could advertise GM Seed as better than the seed that has produced crop after crop throughout known history.

This type of public hazard could snowball across all product lines and others may begin claiming benefits of products that only pill producing pharma whores are capable of.
You know what I am talking about...Pills that kill thousand but are FDA Approved and later either relabeled with warning about the sometimes fatal or debilitating side effects, or eventually pulled from the market after billions have been made selling FDA approved killer pills that after litigation of all pending wrongful death and other suits brought by family or crippled survivors, is such a minute percentage of the money made from their crap in a paper bag that the collateral damage is considered from initial risk assessments as a "no brainer" when whoring these products through FDA by any and all means.

If I convinced the FDA though manipulated study data and bribery that blood letting using my product; a kit consisting of a surgical scalpal, a bio-hazard labeled container with lid and a wet nap individually packaged to cleanse the area arounf incision was a safe proven method to reduce bacterial and viral infection,
I would technically be correct because when blood is let from the human system, any of these invaders cruising your blood stream are expelled as it is in the blood.

Therefor, any loss of blood is reducing the amount of infection in the body.
This logic is proven.

What is not disclosed is that the infection that is removed via blood letting has no healing value whatsoever.

I am not claiming that there is value. I am only claiming that it reduces the amount of infection in the body.

Buy my kit and you can feel better about your health.

I bet I could sell this kit to enough of the floridated herd stock to generate a quite tidy profit.
A simple discaimer regarding use and the untrained consumer just to put the cherry on top of the positive advert message and it's a go.

I am looking for investors. Minimum of $75K will get you a piece of this action.
5 year plan includes going public on the exchange to aquire more money.

ok back to reality...ummm....reality....FDA....I'm sorry but I cannot use reality and FDA in the same sentence.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   
And I think it is also worth noting that the information contained on the cereal box included the statement that eating 2 1/2 cups of cheerios, anong with eating a diet low in chloresterol and unsaturated fat would lower cholesterol

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
This a great example when a government run agency is run by fat rats from the big pharma companies.

The FDA has not longer anything that has to do with government but is all run by private groups and their corporate agendas.

But hey that is exactly what is going on with government now a days, whole bunch of crocks.

No, it is a great example of corporations making claims that they do not have backed up with research, and or claims that do not have the full information, therefor the FDA steps in and says "you may not tell lies to the population of this country".

But I guess you think that is ok? That corporations should have free reign over the claims they make? Let's not fall farther into the hands of corporate greed.

www.baltimoresun.com...

The FDA allows companies that market whole grain foods like Cheerios to highlight their ability to reduce the risk of heart disease. While the box carries that claim in the lower left hand corner, the language about cholesterol is much larger and appears separately — something the FDA does not allow.

Personally, I am all for enforcing correct labeling of products. I find it a pain in the A double S trying to read every stupid label, trying to understand exactly what the product has in it, and how or even if it is healthy for us.

My son is hyperactive and certain products like colors and preservatives which are added to food make this MUCH worse. For example, products which claim to be juice drink, but when you look at the label, it is full of everything except fruit juice, or maybe just a tiny amount of fruit juice, meaning it is NOT fruit juice. To me, this is inappropriate labeling, and the FDA should step in and start dealing with situations like this.

I think they should be called "colored water with flavoring and GMO high fructose corn syrup"as that is what these products really are. Many of them claim to be healthy when they are not. But, we allow companies to call them "juice drink" and "juice cocktail" just as long as they have a "teany tiny" bit of juice in it. Here is where the FDA should change what it allows, as in if it is not really fruit juice, not even allowing the word "fruit" in the labeling.

These companies purposefully make the labeling confusing to the consumer to sell more of the product. Meaning they want to get into your pocket book any way they can, even if that means they use deceitful labeling. Remember, not everyone has the time, energy or intelligence to look up every single label and what the items in a product "actually" are.

fruit juice labels may be misleading, with juice companies actively hiding the actual content. "No added sugar" is commonly placed on labels, but the products are often made from "reconstituted concentrates." This can have the same effect as adding sugars to the beverage as the naturally occurring fructose is still unhealthy for the consumer. It is difficult for the consumer to know the contents

If we ban the FDA, then food and drug companies, would be making all kinds of claims. I am not saying that the FDA does not need some revamping, oh boy do they (ex: Monsanto). But, we do need something such as the FDA to act in a manner that is appropriate.

Harm None
Peace

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Glad to see the FDA starting to do its job again. I hope they now start going after all the drugs that were paper whipped into approval under the GW admin, and the foolish policies of de-regulation.

Maybe they will shut down all those get larger advertisements that are so disgusting.

Where were you people when the GW admin was going after vitamin companies, and these small start ups selling herbal products? When the GW admin went after all these small health food starts ups, were you upset then. Now the FDA goes after food giant General Mills for false claims and you suddenly up in arms?

www.anxiety-and-depression-solutions.com...

From Apr 2007

The FDA claims that their regulations are simply a “guidance” as to what constitutes regulated CAM items. The CAM community disagrees. They see the defining of regulated items as an attempt to control the use of CAM within the United States—and possibly incorporate CAM devices and medicines into what some refer to as “Big Pharma,” the pharmaceutical industry.

The guidance document essentially defines any item used to treat, mitigate, cure or prevent a disease as regulated by the FDA. This means that if someone claims their vegetable juice helps cure cancer, the FDA then has the right to regulate that vegetable juice as a drug. It also means that if someone is using massage rocks as part of their therapy for a disease or disorder, those massage rocks are regulated as medical devices.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

I think you need an Intervention!

I will call the show and see if they can help you~

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join