It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FDA declares Cheerios a drug?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by modusoperandi

Keep in mind cheerios are not illegal... they are saying it's illegal to market them with claims associated with drugs.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
The FDA should be banned.

Too many ties to the big pharmaceutical companies...you need someone who cares about people not money to look after the people.

[edit on 12/5/2009 by nerbot]

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I know of many food labels that claim to be "heart healthy"

Does this also mean they are claiming that the food is a drug?

Because something contributes to wellness particularly in a preventative way does not mean it is serving the purpose of a drug.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I understand that this quite literally an issue of packaging. However, refraining from making medicinal claims doesn't necessarily shield you from FDA action restricting your product(s). Pyridoxine AND P5P both have been declared drugs without any medicinal claims to blame. Vitamin C can treat scurvy if you remember correctly, Vitamin D is technically a steroid based on its structure... Explain to me again why I should not be alarmed by this?

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Actually this makes perfect sense. They are advertising it as a way to lower your cholesterol.

But I think it's hilarious.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by modusoperandi
I understand that this quite literally an issue of packaging. However, refraining from making medicinal claims doesn't necessarily shield you from FDA action restricting your product(s). Pyridoxine AND P5P both have been declared drugs without any medicinal claims to blame. Vitamin C can treat scurvy if you remember correctly, Vitamin D is technically a steroid based on its structure... Explain to me again why I should not be alarmed by this?

You know they say sunshine can help ease the pangs of depression. Should we contact the sun and tell it to stop? ROFL

Oh and here is the link to the clinical studies that Cheerios can lower cholestrol.

www.reuters.com...

[edit on 5/12/2009 by secretstash]

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I heard that Lucky Charms is also being scoulded since that are yet to produce any viable data to support the claim that they are Magically delicious. Extensive testing at JPL have proven beyond a reasonable doubt that they are artifically delicious.

-E-

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthSeeker8300

In the medical field we have patients who we consider “non-compliant”, (yes, its so common we have a name for it) which means that they go against sound medical advice, either because they don't like the treatment, are in denial, are afraid, or feel a loss of control when facing a medical issue. I have run into people right here in ATS, who deny things such as sleep apnea, simply because they did not care for the treatment, and would prefer to blame their problems on a supernatural force.

Besides these people...
One thing I have learned in life, is that you cannot underestimate the number of idiots out there.

At the very least, people who do idiotic things.
Back when I was a software developer, one of the first things we were taught was never to say we had “fool proofed” our software, because that was an underestimation of the inventiveness of the fools who might use it.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by interestedalways

Nope, that is different.
Cheerios is claiming to have a specific decrease in levels of cholesterol, where simply saying its “heart healthy” is non-specific enough not to be considered a medical claim.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
It's about time they did something. My generation was heavily preyed upon, we were just inundated with misleading commercial programming. We were helpless little children and have paid a price for their greed.

I myself am battling a condition known as Coco Puffs Induced Psychosis. Please don't trivialize my condition by calling me "Cuckoo for Coco Puffs."

[edit on 12-5-2009 by 11andrew34]

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by interestedalways

You are right, the big pharma has been promoting that everything is a diseases if they can prescribe a "pill" for it.

But when it comes to cholesterol and high blood pressure they are not diseases by any means they are "conditions" that are the result of other factors.

Most often before high blood pressure or high cholesterol becomes harmful to a persons body it can be treated without medications.

But as usual we all fall for the easy treatment as long as we don't have to change our "way of life"

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

The miracle in "cheerios" is that as long as you change your fat loaded morning fare for something low in fat you will get your cholesterol numbers and over all health a boost.

You don't need to be a doctor to understand how it works.

BTW I am a cheerio lover and will never allow dangerous statin drugs in my body.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Yes those "kind" of people, sadly I am one of them,
I hate pill pushing doctors.

I fire them when they don't listen to what I have to say about a treatment.

[edit on 12-5-2009 by marg6043]

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

Leaving won't solve anything. There is literally no place on Earth that you can escape the tentacles of big pharma.

We shouldn't go anywhere. Stick around and fight the onslaught of Monsanto and their FDA puppets.

No retreat, no surrender.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Unapproved New Drug

Based on claims made on your product's label, we have determined that your Cheerios® Toasted Whole Grain Oat Cereal is promoted for conditions that cause it to be a drug because the product is intended for use in the prevention, mitigation, and treatment of disease. Specifically, your Cheerios® product bears the following claims ort its label:

• "you can Lower Your Cholesterol 4% in 6 weeks" "
• "Did you know that in just 6 weeks Cheerios can reduce bad cholesterol by an average of 4 percent? Cheerios is ... clinically proven to lower cholesterol. A clinical study showed that eating two 1 1/2 cup servings daily of Cheerios cereal reduced bad cholesterol when eaten as part of a diet low in saturated fat and cholesterol."
FDA

According to our FDA ONLY a drug can cure or treat things such as cholesterol.

If a dietary supplement label includes such a claim, it must state in a "disclaimer" that FDA has not evaluated the claim. The disclaimer must also state that the dietary supplement product is not intended to "diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease," because only a drug can legally make such a claim.
FoodSafety.gov

Therefore since Cheerios claims to lower cholesterol, according to the FDA it must be a drug and then falls under fDA rules.

What an absolute farce. Do you think big pharma has any power in the FDA???

Wait until codex alimentarius takes effect 12-31-2009

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Guess that would explain why my dog can't get enough of them:

(click to open player in new window)

He has to have at least 10 'hits' of Cheerios for a snack everyday.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Actually the FDA says that they can make the general claims, absent the% reduction claims. They just need to mark their boxes differently. Go home folks, nothing to see here.

FDA has issued a regulation authorizing a health claim associating soluble fiber from whole grain oats with a reduced risk of coronary heart disease (21 CFR 101.81). Like FDA's other regulations authorizing health Claims about a food substance and reduced risk of coronary heart disease, this regulation provides for the claim to include an optional statement, as part of the health claim, that the substance reduces the risk of coronary heart disease through the intermediate link of lowering blood total and LDL cholesterol. See 21 CFR 101.81(d)(2),-(3). Although the lower left corner of the Cheerios® front label contains a soluble fiber/coronary heart disease health claim authorized under 21 CFR 101.81, the two claims about lowering cholesterol are not made as part of that claim but rather are presented as separate, stand-alone claims through their location on the package and other label design features. The cholesterol claim that mentions the clinical study is on the back of the Cheerios® box, completely separate from the health claim on the front label. Although the other cholesterol claim is on the same panel as the authorized health claim, its prominent placement on a banner in the center of the front label, together with its much larger font size, different background, and other text effects, clearly distinguish it from the health claim in the lower left corner.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   

How idiotic excessive controlling unbelievable S--T from the FDA !!

WTF is this govt. doing? What is their frickin problem? This is ridiculous - it is outrageous!

OH, our wonderful control grip govt. we have!!

This kind of stuff irrates me to no end, just because Cheerios says your cholestral (sp) will be lowered from eating it - they are going after the company saying it is a drug!! What BS!

So, they are protecting all those pharma companies? By doing this?

Un Fing believable - when I think things can't get more ridiculous they do!

S and F for you -

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

I tell you this nation has become nothing but a laughing joke when it comes to the ones exercising the rights to corporate America.

I can not wait when exercise and good eating be deemed a drug because it will keep you away from becoming a milking cow to big pharma.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   
If something can lower health problems like high cholesterol, that means it's technically a drug. In order for it to be marketed as such, it needs to be tested in trials by the FDA to show that it actually does these things and has no horrible risks.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join