It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA: Debris Hits Shuttle 104 Second Into Launch. Leaving 21 inch Scratch. * UPDATED

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Was this predictable...have we been "primed" for it...will they need the back-up shuttle..Is there more going on up there than we know and are told about?

Of course.

From the movie "Contact":

"Why have one when you can have two at twice the price!"

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by timewalker

Get out much?
Open a window, take a walk it's a beautiful day outside.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

All the time. It is a beautiful day. I'm not following you sir, what was that about?

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by MagicaRose
Quite a few years ago I dreamed that the Challenger exploded two weeks before it really happened.
It was exactly as it was in my dream on TV, all in color.

I've often wondered if there was anything I could have done to prevent this from happening.

Yesterday, when I watched the shuttle lift off I had the strangest , saddest feeling.
It felt Like I was saying good-by to them.

I hope they will be ok and return safely.

Does anyone know if they have arrived at the Hubble yet,
and when will the first walk be?
Lets hope your dreams and feelings don't come to be. You say goodbye I say hello, hello hello

[edit on 12-5-2009 by timewalker]

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Sorry to go a bit off topic here , but is there mission to Hubble still on ?

How many delays can such a mission in tail before it becomes necessary to scrap the mission ?

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by timewalker

Seems likely i suppose but it sounds like a big loss for nasa if that was to happen.
Would they attempt to repair it i wonder and fly it back?

It does seem fishy that they have a back up this time even if it is a more risky mission.
The conspiracy theorist in me is suspecting that something is expected to go wrong and it will be needed.

Im also curious about the timing of this in relation to possible disclosure (something i thought i would ever live to see) & the fact that i have observed some strange goings on in the sky of late, especially tonight.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

We can only hope.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Max_TO
Sorry to go a bit off topic here , but is there mission to Hubble still on ?

How many delays can such a mission in tail before it becomes necessary to scrap the mission ?

I was gonna say its interesting how they where gonna do an upgrade to Hubble and then this happens.. given some of the stuff Hubbles been finding recently sounds like a convenient way to 'delay' what ever they where gonna do for Hubble.

'Opps sorry folks cant improve or celestial viewing capabilities at the moment more pressing matters'.

Not saying the damage to the shuttle isnt important since it is the life of the astronauts it effects. Just odd timing, then again given how often bits fall off Nasa's toys lately its to be expected.

Hope they get back to earth safely... and what would happen if the back up shuttle also got damaged on the way up to bring em back?

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
As others have insinuated or said directly This is a false flag flight in my opinion as well. When the US needs a Serious distractor they use their space program.
And no I am not speaking about the tragedies I am speaking of Apollo 13. Thats what I think this mission is. Another Apollo 13... In fact I would bet on the endevor being sent up to go get them with in 7 days.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   
What if....

(yeah, I know)

but what if there is nothing wrong with Atlantis? Maybe faking it is the only way they can get both shuttles into space at the same time and have a good excuse for doing so. Won't even speculate as to why they might need to do that.

I'm just saying...

Seriously, I hope nothing happens. I love space exploration and cringe at how far behind we are compaired to where we could have been.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   
The astronauts would complete their mission regardless of their spacecraft's fate. For one they have nothing else to do until the rescue shuttle arrives. And two, thats the kind of people you are talking about here. Professionals.

And before you get all gloom and doom.....

From Spaceflightnow: "Mission control has informed the crew there will be no need for a focused inspection of the small area of tile damaged during yesterday's launch."

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by cropmuncher
It does seem fishy that they have a back up this time even if it is a more risky mission.

I think they have had a backup ready for every mission since the "challenger" disaster.

Usually it's tucked away in the hangar and we don't see it but for this hubble mission we got to see two shuttles on the launchpads together and stories about this one being a particularly "dodgy" trip.

Why now, what's going to happen?

Originally posted by Rapacious
From Spaceflightnow: "Mission control has informed the crew there will be no need for a focused inspection of the small area of tile damaged during yesterday's launch."

control: "Take your protein pills and put your helmets on"

spaceman: "tell my wife I love her very much"

control: "she knows"

Originally posted by Ambient Sound
I love space exploration and cringe at how far behind we are compaired to where we could have been.

Me too, but consider how far we've come in the blink of an eye.

[edit on 12/5/2009 by nerbot]

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Rapacious

agreed.

they would finish the mission regardless of damage. failure is not something that these fine folks would consider (unless the craft was damaged).
i hope all goes well with the mission and they return safe.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Here is a pic and a link to a NASA site showing the damaged heat shield

www.nasa.gov...

[edit on 12-5-2009 by Max_TO]

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

Something isn't sitting right with me,regarding this situation!
They have another Shuttle,sitting,ready to go,incase the first Shuttle runs into difficulty.
Now we hear that,the original Shuttle does indeed have damage to several tiles,caused by debris during the launch!
This seems to be a problem that crops up, more often than not, during Shuttle launches.
My question is. What if the second Shuttle has to be launched,and suffers similar damage to the original shuttle? What happens then? Who is coming to their rescue?

As i said,this "damaged by debris" scenario seems to be a, more and more, common occurence!

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Looks like the ISS will have a few more residents if both shuttles get damaged.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

Cheers for that, was about to go off looking for more news but found your post!
Here's the image:

and the text:

Crew Completes Heat Shield Inspection, Rendezvous Preps Atlantis’ crew completed a planned survey of the shuttle heat shielding Tuesday, noting a few dings in tiles that experts will continue to analyze. Flight Director Tony Ceccacci said that upon an initial look, damage found during the inspection appeared to be minor and likely not a concern, but he said experts would analyze it as is normal to be certain the shuttle’s heat shielding is in good shape. The damage included small dings along an area of about 21 inches spanning four of the shuttle’s thermal tiles located on the starboard side of the spacecraft where the wing blends into the forward fuselage. Throughout the day, the crew prepared for Wednesday’s rendezvous with the Hubble Space Telescope. The day's activities included the check out of tools they will use during the rendezvous with the telescope. The rendezvous is scheduled to occur at 7:41 a.m. Wednesday. The crew members also checked out spacesuits they will use during the mission’s five scheduled spacewalks.

Doesn't look too bad, but it's not me floating hundreds of miles up there is it!

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 12:36 AM
link   
The plot thickens, what are they really up to?
Remember when they droped that tether down thru the ionisphere, and it blew up, they said it was some kind of accident.
But really it was them sticking finger in electrial scoket to see what would happen.
Or back in 70s when they blew up atomic bomb, in space and it messed up comunications, and transmission for 7 days?
What are they really up to?

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Hey I'm not kidding, could this turn into one of those diversion, that people talk about here on ATS. You know to take us away from what going on.
You know like when what was it applo13 was in trouble, and no one could take eyes off TV while the drama unfolded.
I'm not making fun of their plight, I know from movies they were having their little arguments, I know at that point I would have probably got out and tried to swim home.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Hope they make it home safe.

Columbia had the worst, they lost a tile I think...

I would make a close inspection of the tile if I were there. Maybe, softly test hammer it with some semi-hard object and see if it moves out of place or something.

Even better, since the Columbia disaster, they should've invented some sort of hand portable x-ray inspection device in case of situations like this..

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Crap generally hits the Space Shuttle on every launch, usually insulation tiles off the external tank. This is no different. It happens pretty much every single time. They've done these missions before, just the repairs to Hubble are more significant than previously and furthermore after Columbia they are somewhat more careful with the heatshield.

Columbia had the worst, they lost a tile I think...

No, they had a hole smashed through the wing by an object travelling at almost 1000km/h.

I would make a close inspection of the tile if I were there. Maybe, softly test hammer it with some semi-hard object and see if it moves out of place or something.

Even better, since the Columbia disaster, they should've invented some sort of hand portable x-ray inspection device in case of situations like this..

They have their own methods for testing the shield, however they are more practical than your ideas.

They cannot seem to get off the ground without damage to the vehicle.

Scratches and nicks do not mean 'damage', and have happened since the Shuttles first flew.

I wonder why this seems to be such an issue over the last few years and not so much in the previous decades.

Columbia.

It is too bad that they did not think much ahead and it will be at least five years before the Orion class is ready.

NASA knows what they're doing. Generally the people funding them, do not.

Also makes me think about the commercial airplane that I flew on this year that still has ashtrays. An old bird for sure. I wanted off that thing as soon as possible.

All Airliners are very safe. Some 45 year old jets have brand new interiors. Wonder what you'd think of that jet.

Most dangerous mission since going to the moon

About the same risk as other missions to Hubble. Of course, the repair itself is far more difficult.

second shuttle on standby

Hubble has a different orbit to ISS, therefore the Shuttle sent up to repair it cannot stay at the ISS if something goes wrong. Instead, they can only send up another Shuttle to rescue them. This is the first time this safety plan has happened but it's also the first time they have gone to Hubble since the Columbia disaster.

Nasa funding to be decreased

NASA's funding is increased, however it is still around half that of during the Apollo missions.

[edit on 13/5/2009 by C0bzz]

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join