It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA: Debris Hits Shuttle 104 Second Into Launch. Leaving 21 inch Scratch. * UPDATED

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by billybobh3

Originally posted by timewalker
It is time to end the shuttles. They cannot seem to get off the ground without damage to the vehicle. I wonder why this seems to be such an issue over the last few years and not so much in the previous decades. Good thing a spare is ready to go. Just a scratch boys pretty sure you will make it ????????

It is too bad that they did not think much ahead and it will be at least five years before the Orion class is ready.

Reminds me of my GM car with its broken window motors and electrical malfunctions. No wonder they are going out of business. American engineering at its best.

[edit on 12-5-2009 by timewalker]

You hit the nail directly on the head. Why all of the issues now? I understand the increased awareness since the two tragedies, but all-of-a-sudden [ or so it seems ], each mission is thrice as risky as the last.

As regards the new 'fleet', it is long overdue. Look at the technological advancements, in general, since the current fleet was developed, let-alone launched.

My biggest gripe is the fact that the government, in all probabilty, has enough advanced [and covert] technology to make all of this crap unnecessary. Are you seriously trying to tell me that we could put men on the moon in the sixties, yet today we don't have the technology to get them safely off of the ground, put in orbit, and returned to earth?
NASA, today, is nothing more than a joke cover for the hidden technology that the government is in posession of, and that it is unwilling to let the public [ and other world parties ] be aware of. In the meantime, America's astronauts [including CIVILIANS], the one's down-range on the firing line, are at risk to keep the secrets from view.

Disgusting...

Star for you on this~!! It's just logical thinking that makes NASA such...how should I put it...let down? Pathetic, incapable!!

Yea.. I really can't add much more on this except for, AND THESE GUYS ARE FREAKING ENGINEERS!!!! Sorry, you can't tell me that they don't know or haven't forseen this/these things coming!!!

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ufoorbhunter

Well first off space flight of any kind is in no way "routine" yet.
I'm sorry to burst anybody's bubble. Space flight is a very dangerous endeavor excuse the word play. But it is.

Reagan wrongly said the Shuttle fleet was operational implying that they were ready for continuous flight schedules like an airline. When the day comes when they can turn around a craft in a few hours for the next flight then it will be considered "Operational"

As far as the Russians they have had their fair share of accidents and cover ups. That's not at issue here IMO. They are old school when it comes to this. In that when they found something that works they stick with it and slowly make improvements while NASA is or rather was more into trying newer and more risky it seems technology.

[edit on 12-5-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by kiwifoot

Originally posted by ExPostFacto

• UFO disclosure is starting to occur across governments of the world

Did I miss something? Is this a set up mission? God I hope not but after reading this forum and information that is leaked through various sources I do tend to always question the seemingly circumstantial events that lead to something larger. I hope my gut is wrong on this.

• Just imagine this scenario, the shuttle is stranded in space, the only way they can be rescued is by the backup shuttle. Unfortunately there is a technical problem with this one too. The situation is hopeless until an alien spacecraft come to the rescue, bringing the astrnauts to earth. There's your disclosure!

That is my pipe dream for sure. I was thinking the same thing as the only good outcome that could come from a situation like that.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 02:59 PM
    link   
    I thought that shuttles have to be released in a certain timeframe . . .

How are they sure the back up shuttle will work?

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 03:00 PM
    link   

Originally posted by Komodo

Sorry, you can't tell me that they don't know or haven't forseen this/these things coming!!!

So strange, I was going to quote the ABC article that said they (NASA) calculated a 1 in 221 chance of a collision. But guess what? It's no longer there! Very weird!

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 03:00 PM
    link   
    reply to post by ufoorbhunter

Soyuz spacecraft are no where near as complex as the shuttles. They are designed for one thing, docking with the ISS.

But, no problems?
    www.space.com...

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 03:08 PM
    link   
    Pretty sobering news!

I watched the launch live,and it was absolutely awe inspiring!
    The mission is difficult enough for those astronauts,but now on top of that,it looks like they might have to worry about the re-entry phase of the mission,if there is significant damage!
    The stress levels those people are having to deal with must be incredible,and i really hope to God,that they all make it back safely!

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 03:10 PM
    link   
    reply to post by kiwifoot

*** UPDATE FROM NASA

Heat Shield Survey Complete Tue, 12 May 2009 08:51:28 PM GMT Atlantis’ crew completed a planned survey of the shuttle heat shielding today, noting a few dings in tiles that experts will continue to analyze. Flight Director Tony Ceccacci said that upon an initial look, damage found during the inspection appeared to be minor and likely not a concern, but he said experts would analyze it as is normal to be certain the shuttle’s heat shielding is in good shape. The damage included small dings along an area of about 21 inches spanning four of the shuttle’s thermal tiles located on the starboard side of the spacecraft where the wing blends into the forward fuselage.

Nothing that ABC didn't tell us, but good to get the offical line.

[edit on 12-5-2009 by kiwifoot]

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 03:13 PM
    link   
    Arent they supposed to be carrying some sort of "caulking" to fix small dings?
    I think I read that someplace after the previous disaster.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 03:18 PM
    link   
    reply to post by SLAYER69

Well recalled. Yeah I think you're right. Here's a reference to it on NASA's site:

On their third and final spacewalk on July 12, Sellers and Fossum used a "space-certified" caulking gun and a variety of spatulas and tools to test materials on samples of pre-damaged reinforced carbon-carbon panels. "We're getting some good stuff done here, mate," Sellers told Fossum during the spacewalk.

I assume it's repairing the tiles with a putty gun of sorts!

Two of the crew of seven astronauts participated in practicing with the caulking guns and putty-knives in the open cargo bay for seven hours

Sometimes the solutions are so basic it's astounding!

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 03:19 PM
    link   
    Yeah I found it here it is

]]]Validating space shuttle heat shield repair

Development of repair method

NASA is attempting to develop a method to repair the critical RCC panels. Scientists have developed a pre-ceramic polymer sealant impregnated with silicon carbide that is referred to as Non-Oxide Adhesive eXperimental (NOAX). Damage in the protective outer silicon-carbide coating of the RCC may be repaired with NOAX, which converts to silicon carbide during re-entry. They have also designed a special space caulking gun that astronauts will use to apply a small amount of repair material to the damage site. They will work the material with a putty knife and use it to fill in cracks and holes in the RCC panels. If this procedure should ever be required on an actual shuttle mission, the lives of the crew will depend on the integrity of the repair. So NASA has embarked on an extensive testing program during which it has planned several arc jet tests (re-entry simulation) as well as thermal-vacuum tests prior to certifying the new material for use in an actual flight. Most of these development and verification tests have been performed on the ground, either in a laboratory setting or in vacuum chambers, but astronauts Piers Sellers and Mike Fossum conducted repairs of arc jet samples during a spacewalk on STS-121 in July 2006. All of the arc jet samples repaired during the on-orbit evaluation were tested in the arc jet and successfully completed the entry simulation without

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 03:21 PM
    link   
    Quite a few years ago I dreamed that the Challenger exploded two weeks before it really happened.
    It was exactly as it was in my dream on TV, all in color.

I've often wondered if there was anything I could have done to prevent this from happening.

Yesterday, when I watched the shuttle lift off I had the strangest , saddest feeling.
    It felt Like I was saying good-by to them.

I hope they will be ok and return safely.

Does anyone know if they have arrived at the Hubble yet,
    and when will the first walk be?

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 03:22 PM
    link   
    reply to post by SLAYER69

Woah, OK maybe not as simple as I imagined, I guess it has to put up with being used in space, in a vacuum, and by people wearing big gloves!

Good find mate!

[edit on 12-5-2009 by kiwifoot]

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 03:26 PM
    link   
    reply to post by MagicaRose

This is from NASA:

Atlantis continues to close in on the Hubble Space Telescope, heading toward a rendezvous and capture of the observatory at 12:54 p.m. EDT Wednesday. The crew members plan to check out the equipment they will use for the final phase of the rendezvous today while telescope controllers plan to close the aperture door of the instrument in preparation for the shuttle’s arrival.

I hope you're wrong on this one!

But if it does, don't feel bad, what can you do? Imagine how many people they have ringing up before every launch telling them to abort!?

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 03:29 PM
    link   
    I hope for the best for the astronauts and the mission, the Hubble telescope has given us some spectacular images and I hope for many more for years to come.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 03:37 PM
    link   

Originally posted by MagicaRose
    Does anyone know if they have arrived at the Hubble yet,
    and when will the first walk be?

::grumbles:: I'm not one to be deemed 'rude' on ATS and certainly hope this doesn't come across that way. I'm just....frustrated.

Back in the ole days, research junkies like myself actually had to ride our bikes, walk, or have our moms drive us to the library to spend hours pouring over *gasp* books! Now, information is as easy as click click click.

This information was available to me in under one minute and I'm on dial-up.

Atlantis continues to close in on the Hubble Space Telescope, heading toward a rendezvous and capture of the observatory at 12:54 p.m. EDT Wednesday. The crew members plan to check out the equipment they will use for the final phase of the rendezvous today while telescope controllers plan to close the aperture door of the instrument in preparation for the shuttle’s arrival.

Again, not to be rude but if you *really* want the answers, they are so readily available.

Look here: NASA.GOV

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 03:45 PM
    link   
    reply to post by Whisper67

Well, not to be rude but you are rude.

I can't believe you used that much bandwidth to say that to me!

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 03:49 PM
    link   
    Now now you two if you cant play nice I'll turn this thread around and we can just go right back home.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 04:21 PM
    link   
    Hi all, i was just wondering what the procedure might be if the second shuttle is launched in a rescue scenario?
    What would they do with the other shuttle?
    Would they leave it there or point it away from earth and hit the gas?
    I ask because its not like they will want to blow it up as the debri would be a nightmare yet it is too well protected to hope it would burn up on re-entry isnt it?

[edit on 12/5/09 by cropmuncher]

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 04:32 PM
    link   
    reply to post by cropmuncher

They will let it plummet back to earth, burning up in re-entry and debris falling into the ocean (hopefully). That is the plan.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join