It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 Ways to Avoid Brainwashing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
If we don’t own our minds, we’re like pawns in a game where we’re not the player. We’re being played. Corporations, governments, advertisers and even religions (oops, I said it) have gone to great lengths to control your mind. Sometimes their tactics are obvious, but most of the time they are downright sneaky.

If we want to ensure that we’re living for ourselves and not serving some corporation’s agenda, we have to put on our mental armor. We have to arm our minds so we can first know when their is an assault on our sovereignty.

Here are 10 tools you can use to avoid brainwashing and retain the ownership of your mind.

1. Decrypt media spin.

The media uses many different tools and angles to sensationalize things that aren’t inherently sensational. “Experts generally agree” can mean a community college professor and “recent surveys find” can mean the polling of 10 people.

Be wary of any claims where the sources aren’t explicitly stated.

2. Break through the hype.

This approach is most popular among the military. This is for an obvious reason: to make you conform and adhere to the purpose of the larger whole. On one hand, I understand why they have to do what they do. But on the other, I am wary of any group the discourages questioning the command. If you don’t think the purpose of your troop’s mission ethical, sorry, you don’t get an opinion. If you don’t agree with the chain of command, too bad.

Sometimes we think there is no other choice but to follow the leader with our heads down. But if we just look a little further, there’s usually another way we didn’t see before.

3. Don’t buy into scare tactics.

This approach is most popular among the military. This is for an obvious reason: to make you conform and adhere to the purpose of the larger whole. On one hand, I understand why they have to do what they do. But on the other, I am wary of any group the discourages questioning the command. If you don’t think the purpose of your troop’s mission ethical, sorry, you don’t get an opinion. If you don’t agree with the chain of command, too bad.

Sometimes we think there is no other choice but to follow the leader with our heads down. But if we just look a little further, there’s usually another way we didn’t see before.

4. Survey says.

Surveys and statistics are often skewed to support the agenda of the presenter. Just because a survey says something, doesn’t mean you have to believe it. Even if it’s from a reputable source, keep in mind that everyone has an agenda. Even Green Peace. Even Obama. Even your mom.

5. Be conscious of subliminal messages.

Advertisers have cleverly discovered that they can sell you something much easier if it’s associated with a certain lifestyle. A Mercedes equals luxury and high class; a Jeep means you’re rugged and adventurous. Cut through the BS. You define the way you live; your lifestyle doesn’t define you.

6. Don’t be a sheep.

The word “authority” derives from the word author, which simply means the one who originated the idea. It doesn’t mean they are right, or that they are the end of the line. Get as many different opinions as possible before making a decision and trust your common sense.

7. Be certain, or circumvent.

Have you ever noticed that extremely enthusiastic people have an uncanny ability to sway others? Their unshakeable certainty lures others into follow them, simply because they don’t have a strong opinion one way or the other. If you don’t know, don’t let someone else’s certainty force you to make a choice. Do your own research and come to your own conclusion.

8. Listen to your gut.

Follow your gut/intuition. If you think something’s shady, chances are it is. Your mind will usually want to prolong making a decision until it gets all the facts straight. You’ll usually find that after you’ve sorted everything out your gut was right all along. Save yourself some time and trust yourself.

[edit on 12-5-2009 by Ignorance Denied]

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   
9. Avoid groupthink.

Following the crowd is fine if you’re making that choice consciously. We’ve all heard the saying “if so and so told you to jump off a cliff, would you do it?” I always thought that that was the most idiotic question. That doesn’t prove anything. That’s just stupid. And it’s not what I’m talking about here. What I mean is following the group because you’re afraid of standing out. You’re afraid of being seen, being heard. Because, geez, if you do that you might actually have to defend your opinion. Don’t be afraid to be different. Ghandi was different. Einstein was different. People used to think they were crazy, radical and had possible birth defects (just kidding). Now they are considered geniuses.

10. Don’t be a trend-junkie.

“Newly reformulated” shaving cream is often just a newly reformulated packaging design. If you have to buy a new version of your camera, phone, or iPod every 6 months, are you buying it, or is it buying you? Do you really own your things, or do they own you?

[edit on 12-5-2009 by Ignorance Denied]

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Ignorance Denied

Watch the original version of the movie classic "The Manchurian Candidate". It still holds up quite well on how a brainwashing program can be done.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Great post man, you and I are on very similar wavelengths.
Every day when the parents are watching the news, I smile and shake my head, all the while cutting it apart internally as if it were butter...

Let's all wake up and live!

Edit typos because I'm exhausted...

[edit on 12/5/2009 by purehughness]

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by purehughness
Every day when the parents are watching the news, I smile and shake my head, all the while cutting it apart internally as if it were butter...

Good for you, but don't stop at "internally".

Only when light is shed on the shadows can others see the path.

I know lots of people are taken in and take for granted what they see & read but exposing truth is the only way to let others know the realities of what they are seeing. Explain to your parents the deception of just one story, and they will have the oppertunity to see things in that new light for themselves...the news will never be the same.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   

I've been listening to my gut for the last decade and my gut tells me that we are not alone nor are we humans "running the show".

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Nice post! I'm already doing all that's posted.

So here's what I have to share based on my experience

-If you have to do what's described in the OP and still have to live in the society for many valid reason, ex. taking care of family, your life is going to be a living hell... Of course, that depends on how you handle it, you may actually like it.. But one thing for sure, you will get hated, and may lose all your friends, wife, family!

-Easiest and far more enjoyable to accomplish it, is to live outside civilization/society, physically... To live far from the city, technology, or basically, the complex city lifestyle(bloodbath-dog eats dog). You don't have to totally isolate yourself from another human, it's actually better if you can live with the locals that haven't been brainwashed yet. If you're a woman, I won't advise you doing this alone or with another female.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 12:04 AM
link   

wow this is a GREAT post. i have come to the a lot of the same conclusions on my own, but it helps to see them in writing, in a more solid form than just floating around in my head. i wish more people could see this.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 12:51 AM
link   
that was a very nice post.

but I think you failed to notice that 2 and 3 were duplicates

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 01:58 AM
link   
mistake on this post

[edit on 13-5-2009 by ahnggk]

top topics

join