It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Changes In The Sun Are Not Causing Global Warming, New Study Shows

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Changes In The Sun Are Not Causing Global Warming, New Study Shows

www.sciencedaily.com

ScienceDaily (May 12, 2009) — With the U.S. Congress beginning to consider regulations on greenhouse gases, a troubling hypothesis about how the sun may impact global warming is finally laid to rest.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Rest assured, that despite the authors contention that the issue is "finally laid to rest" it is not.

There are too many political reasons to 'play' with the scientific community on this one.

But please note: Laid to rest or not, it has NOTHING to do with what is fact or what is the truth. It's 90% political, 9% showbiz, and the remaining 1% is a compilation of science, speculation, and wishful thinking.

Be well.

www.sciencedaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

EDIT TO AMEND:

This whole 'laid to rest' argument applies to the effects of cosmic rays on cloud particulates. It does not address other measurable factors such as sunspots and magnetospheric fluctuations which for the purposes of this model, were static.

[edit on 12-5-2009 by Maxmars]

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I always thought the reason was a decrease in sunspots, not cloud cover.

hmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Dont belive it, they are putting out alot of crap now to try to dumb people harder. They know people are waking up real good now, and they need to spread more garbage..

200.000 year old human hair all of the sudden ?? hogWash !..

Disinfo attempts.. they are just plugging up holes in theyr theories that we find ..

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
That article in no way lays the arguement to rest. Even just the title is ridiculous

the sun may impact global warming is finally laid to rest

I'm thinking the sun plays a large roll in the earths temperature. Guess i'm just weird like that...

-E-

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I have to agree, I am a bit disappointed in the article, it's title, and the bias of the material.

But it just goes to show you how science can be just a prostituted as any other field of study, once politics and business get involved.

Frankly, THIS should be in the HOAX forum.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
When all scientists agree let me know.

I'll bet there are scientists with a complete opposite conclusion.

Beware of anything publicly pushed by the media.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Wow, so glad the debate is finally "laid to rest," and in seven easy to swallow paragraphs no less!

Here is my favorite part of the article :

In research published in Geophysical Research Letters, and highlighted in the May 1 edition of Science, Adams and Pierce report the first atmospheric simulations of changes in atmospheric ions and particle formation resulting from variations in the sun and cosmic rays.

The key word here is simulations. Simulations. Their research is based on simulations, not empirical data?

The problem with basing your scientific research and conclusions on computer simulations is that a person had to write the program, a person who is being paid by someone with an agenda. The problem with using a computer program to "simulate" atmospheric conditions is that there are just too many variables and too little we understand. Even the researchers concede this fact at the end of the article but spin it to use as an argument against their opponents:

Despite remaining questions, Adams and Pierce feel confident that this hypothesis should be laid to rest. "No computer simulation of something as complex as the atmosphere will ever be perfect," Adams said

Nope, it won't, but I guess it's good enough for you to use to "lay to rest" the theory that the sun plays a major role in the temperature of the planet.

Damn those pesky "remaining questions," good thing Adams and Pierce "feel confident," that they are still getting their paychecks.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   
On next weeks news, scientists discover that cheese doesn't exist!
Really,i could give some leeway to a report that thinks the Sun isnt the driving force of global warming...but the title and wording just sounds elitist and i know because i just do! type nonsense,bad scientists or bad reporting..pick one.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   
"Adams, a professor of civil and environmental engineering at Carnegie Mellon."... Says it all! His budget probably relies on this kind of smokescreen.

[edit on 13/5/09 by Insomniac]

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Ahhh. This must be the reason we have had record cold winters globally for the last two years and by coincidence we are in a solar minimum with the sunspots for the last two years. hmmmm. I know cap and trade. TAX TAX TAX QUICK before they figure it out.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   
So the Sun can have a major impact on electronic devices here on Earth, but it doesn't affect our weather and climate? Please. What a joke. Next thing you know they will be trying to convince people that the Earth isn't warm because of the Sun, but rather all of the heat on our planet is solely the product of human influence.

I swear it's damn near impossible to trust any big media outlets, regardless of the format in which they put out information. The almighty dollar, along with the political machine, have far too much influence on what is being dispersed to people via television, the internet, radio, and in print. It seems like the only accurate and reliable news and information being put out anymore is the stuff regarding celebrities, reality show gossip, and in depth analysis on Michelle Obama's latest outfit and the content of the stool left behind by the Obama family dog.

top topics

join