It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA: The Limits of Organic Life in Planetary Systems

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 03:13 AM
link   
This is a really interesting book . I saw the link on NASA's website and followed it. The book states the future NASA approach in finding life in our universe using "non-standard biology", which means life forms that could have evolved in a completely different manner from us. They could be living in an environment that is completely different from us, thus their physical appearance, brain structure and biology could be completely different from us. They may not be carbon - water based life form at all.

The search for life in the solar system and beyond has to date been governed by a model based on what we know about life on Earth (terran life). Most of NASA's mission planning is focused on locations where liquid water is possible and emphasizes searches for structures that resemble cells in terran organisms. It is possible, however, that life exists that is based on chemical reactions that do not involve carbon compounds, that occurs in solvents other than water, or that involves oxidation-reduction reactions without oxygen gas. To assist NASA incorporate this possibility in its efforts to search for life, the NRC was asked to carry out a study to evaluate whether nonstandard biochemistry might support life in solar system and conceivable extrasolar environments, and to define areas to guide research in this area. This book presents an exploration of a limited set of hypothetical chemistries of life, a review of current knowledge concerning key questions or hypotheses about nonterran life, and suggestions for future research.

The entire book can be read here
The Limits of Organic Life in Planetary Systems

[edit on 12-5-2009 by sunny_2008ny]

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 03:31 AM
link   
I'm 99% sure NASA has already made intelligent ET contact, these stories are just a smoke screen for what's really going on

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Indeed! NASA is selling you big fat BS!

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   
It is stated that this is a study and NASA did not say it was an alien bible on how the universe operates. It has a lot of good scientific information and explains the limits of what we perceive as to how life "might" exist.

I personally am not in the camp that "all" alien life forms are bi-pedal humanoids with advance technology and spiritual good intent.

There are new life forms found on this earth that are alien to our perceived notions when first discovered. some have been recently found under ice caps, in the oceans,on tundra's, mountains, and jungles of the world recently.

Not every piece of information, data, study, press release, finding, etc. is a blatant lie put out by NASA. If it was stated "that this is how it is", then I would call BS. But a study is nothing more than ideas and what can be, not to be taken as a factual document.

To be honest, this study makes far better sense than some of the bizarre claims from the non scientific community over the past few years.

I'll take dull data and studies over Hollywood dreamscapes any day.

[edit on 12-5-2009 by dcmb1490]

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Interesting...I've been telling people this for a long time. I don't know where the idea came from that all life needed to be carbon based, then again not everyone is able to think outside of the box.

new topics

top topics

join