It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Gas Prices Rising In Your Area??

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I personally believe that 3.50 per gallon or more gas would be much to much of a hardship on many Americans. Think about it, out of all of those that have lost great paying jobs, how many of those are still looking for work and how many have had to take jobs paying only a percentage of what they were earning?

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   
the poster who was talking about Rush L made a good point........4$ could have been a sort of test....or more likely IMO less learned that the public will put up with 3.50$ gas..........however what the public also learned last year (that they might not have been sure of during the run up last year) was that investors and speculators have a desturbing amount of influence on the price of something they are stuck with paying for everyday........so when gas does to 3.25 or whatever people SHOULD be pissed ....that the commodities people virtually need to spend on every day are at the whim of traders pilling into dollar weakness and inflation protection trades....of course the MEDIA will try to see just how absent minded and WILLFully ignorant the public is.....they will sight oil production cutbacks.....a "economic recovery" and virtually anything under the sun is MOST responsible for the run-up in oil prices

remember this.............and this deals with what is a "slippery slope".....you see the MEDIA is really focused on keeping the status quo and taking care of the elite investment class and deflecting blame from them......and they will tell themselves it's in the intrest of "national security" this national security card will have it's limites tested by anchors.....politicos....lawyers etc.....so see just what information they can bend or omit or outright "doctor" in the name of national security under the premise that is it "extremely important during this time of financial crisis" that confidence is restored....somehow...........it may have started with something legitimate.....but then their character of greed and preservation of the establishment class will get them to well....report how they do now ......(B.S)

the administration is crossing their fingers that people's HOPE to see improvement will CAUSE them to willingly interpret sputtering and failure (to change)......just the way the MEDIA spin meister's report it as " start of a recovery".. the MSM has practiced this and refined it as an ART.........they are crossing their fingers and pushing the limits (as far as fudging numbers....them making "revisions" later and later......changing the rules of income statement's / earnings report..etc...etc) all in the name of National security that the weed wackers don't come out and cut thru all the Green Shoots that are being fertlized by pure media B.S....i guess it's worth a try lol ..........BC while it may sound like a stretch to try and Manipulate reality by pushing propoganda to shape consumer psychology .......this is the only playbook they know and have operated off of for some years now

[edit on 13-5-2009 by cpdaman]

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I filled up today. Gas here in NYC cost $2.79. The last time I filled up, it was 2.40ish. This is the worst possible thing that can happen with this week economy.

However, this is exactly what Obama and the far left want. They want to control us even more than the Bushies did. The Bushies just wanted to spy on us, the Obamaniacs want to control us through taxation, spending and coerced labor (see mandatory volunteer).

They think if gas gets really expensive, we will willingly stop buying SUV's and start driving priuses while they get chauffeured around in Yukons.

If they tax cigarettes, we will stop smoking... if they tax smacks, we will eat healthy.

They are trying to control us. Soon, when the taxation does "change" us, martial law will.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by finemanm

I have to say this first, that is the cutest dog that I have ever seen!!! Anyway, you are right. What are we to do about it though?

[edit on 13-5-2009 by Greenize]

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Greenize

Thanks, his name is Gizmo.

To answer your other question.... I don't know. The more I read, the more I write in this website, the older I get, the more I believe that there is nothing we can do.

TPTB control EVERYTHING. They control the press, they control the government, they control industry, and they control education.

Do you think Edward R. Morrow would ever report on Britney Spear's new hair cut? They have dumbed down the citizens. They control who gets to run for office, and make it look like we have a "choice" as to whom we vote for.

If at least half of the people in the US were ATS members and woke up from the lie we have been sold, then and only then could there be real "change."

I just think that most people are blissfully ignorant and don't want to deal with the reality that we are all slaves in this giant machine controlled by the top one percent of the top one percent.

Morpheus: I know *exactly* what you mean. Let me tell you why you're here. You're here because you know something. What you know you can't explain, but you feel it. You've felt it your entire life, that there's something wrong with the world. You don't know what it is, but it's there, like a splinter in your mind, driving you mad. It is this feeling that has brought you to me. Do you know what I'm talking about?

Neo: The Matrix.

Morpheus: Do you want to know what it is?

Neo: Yes.

Morpheus: The Matrix is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it when you look out your window or when you turn on your television. You can feel it when you go to work... when you go to church... when you pay your taxes. It is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth.

Neo: What truth?

Morpheus: That you are a slave, Neo. Like everyone else you were born into bondage. Into a prison that you cannot taste or see or touch. A prison for your mind.

The price of fuel is just another control. They raise and lower it to make us do what they want.

Ohhh, I am about to start a thread on this topic.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   
prices in SF here have risen dramatically.
wonder what the new trend will be?

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I've quickly glanced over the thread and I don't think I saw what I have to mention so far, so if I'm mistaken I'm sorry for reposting.

From what I've seen, everyone is right in relating the dollar to the price of oil/gasoline. If the dollar weakens, then it takes more of them to equal the purchasing power needed to buy one gallon/barrel. This is basic economics.

Something that I haven't seen though is that refineries have been decreasing production as a result of the economy. This has been happening since around the time the prices started to dip before the election. If you look at the weekly reports (they are from the Energy Information Agency, usually released on Thursdays), there has been a decline in the total production. With decreased supply, any rise in demand will cause prices to increase. Memorial day is one such event.

Also, something else to consider is that around this time of year they switch the blend from a heavier winter mix to a lighter summer mix. I'm not sure of the details, but I'm fairly sure its more expensive to produce.

Just thought I'd bring in a couple new thoughts.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Gas Prices always jump during the Summer months, as people will be vacationing around the world.

And yes gas went up by 20c in the Houston area.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Sir Solomon

inventories were down today..signaling more consumption

gas is going up because we are roughly sitting at 60 dollars a barrel

watch 60 very closely..

we hit 60 today then sharply went back down..

I say we stay 40-60 a barrel until later this year when we see the economy recovering at a more substantial rate (and yes it will recover)

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by GreenBicMan

But the supplies have been going down overall since last year.

I do agree though with most of the sentiment on this thread though that we'll see it go higher later this year.

In fact, I read in the USA Today at some point that when the economy started to recover that $4/gallon gas would have to occur. This would be due to the lag there is between production ability and price. Sort of the same effect wheat/soybean prices have on farmers. They plant what they think will bring in the best profit several months in advance of the harvest based on what the expected price is at harvest. So right now refineries aren't producing as much because there isn't incentive to produce more than just enough to cover the dwindling demand.

Makes me glad I am able to walk and be proud of it. You wouldn't believe the looks some people give me when I tell them its my main mode of transport. Sure high gas prices will affect me, but only at the supermarket.

And when I go by new tires...I mean shoes.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 02:35 AM
link   
The price of gas in the Spokane, WA area is around $2.47/gallon right now. I haven't really heard anything about rising gas prices in the MSM. Why is that? Do they think we are too stupid to notice? The powers that be is the US government, influenced by bribery and blackmail of government officials, by Israel. The MSM is all run by Israel, in case you didn't know that already.

I have heard no legitimate excuses EVER for a rise in gas prices, except after Hurricane Katrina. The price of oil is not that high. It is corporate GREED. Greed is not good. Greed will break Americans until they can't even afford to drive, then the oil companies will relent, and the price of gas will mysteriously and suddenly drop to pacify people, as happened the last time.

As for the price of gas suddenly getting higher for Memorial Day or summer vacation season? I don't believe that. I am not stupid. I notice a lot of things. I have noticed the price of virtually everything, especially food and gas, steadily rising for quite awhile now. This is inflation, mostly, I think. It is not just driven by greedy oil barons, but also the weakening of the dollar by all these government bailouts we've been having, and the Obama administration's extravagant spending.

Do whatever you can to conserve gas, and don't buy anything else that runs on gas. Peak oil has either already happened or we are dangerously close to it. Don't count on alternative energy to save you. There is no substitute for oil. No civilized society could survive without it. Nothing else will work, or will be feasible for many years from now.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Jesus you guys are complaining about $2.29?
We never went below $2.69 on a good day in Northern California! We are already back up to $3.19+ almost everywhere now! By summer we will have to be paying through the teeth again because of all the tourist's coming to see the lovely wineries. You have it good right now trust me!

In Jan it cost us $789 to fill "one" of the tank's for the farm vehicles.
We just refilled it last week and it was close to $1100, to make matters worse we are close to having to cut the hay and run pretty much all the dozers and trailers. So we are going to be paying thru the teeth yet again for the fifth season.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Sir Solomon

you have some incorrect information

and farmers usually hedge or corp's that is with futures contracts

[edit on 14-5-2009 by GreenBicMan]

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by GreenBicMan

I'm a city boy so I don't understand the full application of finances to farming, but supply and demand still hold there.

How am I incorrect? Utilization has been in a downward trend since 2004:

Weekly US Percent Utilization of Refinery Capacity (EIA Link)

And then there is a text version focusing on Sep 08 to Feb 09 (notice the peak around the election?):
US Refinery Utilization and Capacity

Can't find it up to current, but demand also follows about the same as refinery utilization, disproving my thought earlier that it's planned in advance (I'm sorry for that):
US Sales to End Users---EIA

And just to add to the discussion as a whole, a chart showing the prices of various gasoline and diesel qualities. We hit the bottom of this particular peak in February, who knows when the top will be?

US Gasoline and Diesel Retail Prices---EIA

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Here in my small town it went from 1.89 to 2. 19 in a matter of days. It always goes up just before the kids get out of school for the summer. As long as it doesn't go higher than 2.50 we (family) shouldn't suffer too much. If it does, we'll do what we did last summer...stay home.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Over here in the UK its constantly rising.

In honesty they put it down last, but that was only a small margin compared to the increase they had placed in previous few months.
No doubt again shortly we will be in for another.

They just lower it to distract people from the actual seriousness of the situation, plus other current events.
As you all know

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I live in Canada and gas prices went up by 12 cents a few days ago. Diesel prices remained the same though.

It makes no sense at all. yea, oil prices went up slightly in US dollars, but the US dollar went down against the Canadian dollar. So in terms of Canadian dollars, the price of oil actually went down, but it was a good enough reason for gas stations to put their prices up.

Right now oil is 60ish US per barrel and gas prices are .959 per liter. When oil peaked at 147 a barrel, prices were about 1.55 per liter. Where is the sense in that?

I thank God every day that I own a reliable diesel powered CAR that gets great fuel economy.

[edit on 23-5-2009 by Alternative]

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Yes I filled up the other day and had to pay 2.12 a gallon for premium,87 octane was up to 1.89 a gallon about 20 cent rise,I have 2 vehicles one gets 9.9 mpg,other gets about 37 mpg,so depending on prices,one sits other is driven

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Update:

I started this thread on may 11th, and stated gas was up to 2.29. Well it has risen nearly a dime a week since then and is at 2.59. This is really upsetting me. I mean we are stretched to the gills now. I nearly have a stroke everytime I go in the grocery and now I can expect to pay even more. Enough already!!!!

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   
In my location in illinois the gas prices have went from 1.89 to 2.59 in just a month or so.It jumped fom 2.47 to 2.59 yesterday in a matter of just a couple of hours.
Then I always wonder to myself why didn't I stop and get gas earlier.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join