It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Gas Prices Rising In Your Area??

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Gas prices in my local area have jumped from 1.99 to 2.29 or more in just the past few days. I am curious if this is widespread and also why! I have not heard the latest excuse given for this increase. It doesn't make sense given the current unemployment numbers and economic problems facing so many of us...

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Yep it jumped 30 cents in my area of Kansas.

Glad I ride a HD.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Yeah, they are in Illinois. On the news they said it was simply bc summer was approaching, according to the commentary, it is about topped out (or so they say) with slight peaks during Memorial and Labor Day and the 4th of July. However they also said the national average was 2.23 and I have only heard of people around 10 cents above, none at or below so who know.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Even if the economy starts to recover...gas prices will rise and stifle any real recovery...since the price of oil fluctuates based on supply on and demand.

This country can't afford 4.00 gas again.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   
I posted about this on the The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread about how I noticed that Oil prices have been sneaking up. They are now near $60 a barrel, that’s almost double from where they were at the end of 2008/begining of 2009.

I am worried about what happens if oil reaches $80 - $100 a barrel this summer while more and more people are trying to do more with less.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   
They've risen about 25 cents in Dallas in the last month or so. I also noticed some products in the grocery store have risen a bit as well. Is this the beginning of high-inflation? I thought we we're still 6 months or so away before inflation becomes a real problem.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

The oil prices fluctuate based on economic data...just as the rest of the stock market does.

When bad things come out...it usually goes down as it's seen as a possible lower demand...and vice versa.

Lately we've been hearing how it's "Supposedly" not as bad as it was...hence the rise in prices.

it's probably not the only reason...but i'm sure it's part of it.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   
.30 cents and some .40 cents, in county im in below Dallas.

I find it a treat, I mean I only drive 30 miles to work... I have to find a closer job. I'd ride a bike, but 30 miles, I mean cmon, then work for 8 hrs, then ride 30 miles back. EEK

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08
.30 cents and some .40 cents, in county im in below Dallas.

I find it a treat, I mean I only drive 30 miles to work... I have to find a closer job. I'd ride a bike, but 30 miles, I mean cmon, then work for 8 hrs, then ride 30 miles back. EEK

Trade your bicycle in for a bike.

You will never worry about gas prices again.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

Ive seriously though about getting a motorcycle, I hear boasting of current owners of them. I seriously just might. Well until the gov't bans those too.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Yeah, your not imagining it, gas prices are starting to rise again... I have a theory that its gonna get back to $4 or worse. Then things are gonna get really interesting.

Not saying I want that to happen, but I think it will...

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Jumped from 1.90 to 2.19 within past couple weeks.

THIS SUCKS!

[edit on 11-5-2009 by bismarcksea]

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by XTexan

If it gets that high it will be because of inflation...not because of an improving economy.

If it were to jump to 4.00 a gallon tomorrow...under these conditions...it would most likely kill the economy.

people would cut back even more....go out less...buy less....and make things far worse. High gas prices will equal more layoffs...more unemployment...after all...gas prices helped get this "recession" going. People started cutting back when prices spiked last year.

Gas prices staying low are vital at the moment...IMO anyway.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Currently placed in Georgia visiting my grandmother and the small town we are in now I saw some of the gas prices already at 2.29 or 2.39 something like that, back at my home in Ohio I think the prices were around the same range last time I paid it was around 2.09 when we were at least well below the 1.80 range weeks ago.

I'm just glad I can Rollerblade, skateboard and ride a bike so when it becomes unbearable again I can do that or maybe carpool with someone.

[edit on 11-5-2009 by Gigantea Rosa]

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I just filled up today and was shocked that it jumped so quickly in FL. Here it is up to $2.30/Gallon.

I agree that gas going to 3.30+ will just pile on the pain for the world economy.

link   
Check out this chart of gas prices over the last 3 months. Seems like the typical Memorial Day price gouging. Exxon does need to make more money that any corporation in the history of the world. [again]

link   
A lot of people around here went and bought mopeds last year when the gas prices where so high...I couldn't help but shake my head a couple of weeks ago, when I noticed in the local paper court report the number of people who had a court date due to no moped license! You can't win for losing in this world!!

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08
reply to post by jd140

Ive seriously though about getting a motorcycle, I hear boasting of current owners of them. I seriously just might. Well until the gov't bans those too.

If they get banned then I better get a car of equal value. I hear you can get a nice car for about 35 grand.

Get a touring bike. They are big, but you have storage, plus you can get a model with or without a 6 disc cd changer, radio, cb and cup holder.

I recently went from Kansas to Georgia and back on my HD road king and am now a firm believer every man should take a 1 or 2 week trip on a motorcycle.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Ya thats what I meant, I didn't mean to imply that it was going up because of the economy getting better, I think we're still a ways off before the economy picks up.

And if gas prices do spike again, which they should... I mean nothing has been done since the last spike to prevent another one, and now its combined with the fact that the dollar is worth even less than it was during the last spike... If they do spike, its gonna get really bad.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Not really.

They've edged up maybe 5 yen/litre since January. I think that's about 15 cents per gallon or so.

Three cheers for government regulation!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join