It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most profound quotation you have read or heard?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Grumble

Here are a few from Nisargadatta Maharaj (check out his book I Am That):

"The search for reality is itself the movement of reality"
"The entire universe contributes incessantly to your existance. hence the entire universe is your body."

When asked the question, "Surrounded by a world full of mysteries and dangers, how can I remain unafraid?" Nisargadatta answered: "Your own little body too is full of mysteries, yet you are not afraid of it, for you take it as your own. What you do not know is that the entire universe is your body and you need not be afraid of it."

"Constant thinking makes dacay"

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Seany

Thats what I was afraid of.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I know you believe you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

-Robert McCloskey

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
"Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both."

I don't know who wrote that originally, but it's in a Lamb of God song. It's one of my favourite quotations because it outlines my belief about self-responsibility.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company." -- George Washington

link   
Great idea OP!! S&F

It is better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are a fool....than to open it and confirm it!!

Never take life too seriously...nobody gets out alive anyway!!!

link   
"Do you serve a purpose or purposely serve"

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game.

~ Paul Rodriguez

"Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes her laws"

Mayer Amschel Rothschild (1744-1812)

"I care not what puppet is placed upon the throne of England to rule the Empire on which the sun never sets. The man who controls Britain's money supply controls the British Empire, and I control the British money supply."

Nathan Mayer Rothschild (1777-1836)

"I am a most unhappy man. I have unwittingly ruined my country. A great industrial nation is controlled by its system of credit. Our system of credit is concentrated. The growth of the nation, therefore, and all our activities are in the hands of a few men. We have come to be one of the worst ruled, one of the most completely controlled and dominated Governments in the civilized world no longer a Government by free opinion, no longer a Government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a Government by the opinion and duress of a small group of dominant men."

Woodrow Wilson - After signing the Federal Reserve Act of 1913

they claim their basic mission, is to protect life and property, enforce laws through capitalist policy, stiffens economy, that's prophecy, killin brothers with no apology

non phixion - criminal (hip-hop song)

government is management and country is corporation.

only than capitalism makes sense

Grey Magic

[edit on 12-5-2009 by Grey Magic]

link   
If everything seems to be coming your way you are probably in the wrong lane.

-Unknown

link   
"here i am again, down on my luck and up against the wind"
-author unknown

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by felonius
Mine would have to be Rudyard Kiplings "IF"

The poem is very deep. It is also a very high bar to measure yourself by.

here it its in its completeness....

[IF]

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,

If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,

If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream--and not make dreams your master,

If you can think--and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;

If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it all on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breath a word about your loss;

If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: "Hold on!"

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with kings--nor lose the common touch,

If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you;

If all men count with you, but none too much,

If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

--Rudyard Kipling

Wow, that's just how George W Bush must feel.... seriously... that's scary

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Hi everybody! First post, but long time reader of this great site. May the love and truth of the universe shine on you all. The following is one of the best i have heard..."When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest" anon. By the way, BIG respect goes out to the guy who quoted Morrissey's classic lyric and also all the Bill Hicks fans. Respect.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
The unanimous Declaration of the thirteen united States of America

When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. — Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government. The history of the present King of Great Britain is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these States. To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a candid world.

Josiah Bartlett, William Whipple, Matthew Thornton, John Hancock, Samuel Adams, John Adams, Robert Treat Paine, Elbridge Gerry, Stephen Hopkins, William Ellery, Roger Sherman, Samuel Huntington, William Williams, Oliver Wolcott, William Floyd, Philip Livingston, Francis Lewis, Lewis Morris, Richard Stockton, John Witherspoon, Francis Hopkinson, John Hart, Abraham Clark, Robert Morris, Benjamin Rush, Benjamin Franklin, John Morton, George Clymer, James Smith, George Taylor, James Wilson, George Ross, Caesar Rodney, George Read, Thomas McKean, Samuel Chase, William Paca, Thomas Stone, Charles Carroll of Carrollton, George Wythe, Richard Henry Lee, Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Harrison, Thomas Nelson, Jr., Francis Lightfoot Lee, Carter Braxton, William Hooper, Joseph Hewes, John Penn, Edward Rutledge, Thomas Heyward, Jr., Thomas Lynch, Jr., Arthur Middleton, Button Gwinnett, Lyman Hall, George Walton

This still brings a tear to my eye every time i read it.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
"See you in another life brother" - desmond david hume

[edit on 12-5-2009 by SeelenJaeger]

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
The love that you withhold is the Pain you carry.

Alex Collier

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
"Well behaved women seldom make history"

Some people take my time, I despise them
Some people share my time, I am amused by them
Some people contribute to my time, I truly cherish them.

"Don't Panic"

It ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done! Now if you know what you're worth then go out and get what you're worth. - Rocky balboa

Raise your hand, if you deserve the blame
If you can, them you won't die ashamed
Give me strength, so I can make a stand
Give me light, so I can show my hand
- Motorhead - Listen to your Heart

Guilt is like a bag of f****** bricks. All ya gotta do is set it down.
Who are you carrying all those bricks for? - The Devil's Advocate

"I am."

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Curiously (or maybe not), the ones that come to my mind are from a song and two animes.

"The strong are sometimes wrong but the weak are never free"
Heaven 17 - Come Live With Me

"There probably is no point in living, but by continuing to live you may be able to find some interesting things"
Naruto - Episode 126

"I feel as though the gap between your sincerity and your vocabulary is too big"
Excel Saga - Episode 17

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   
"Accept that which is woven in the pattern of your destiny, for what else would fit your needs so aptly".....Marcus Aurelius

"If you wait for tomorrow, tomorrow will come. If you don't wait for tomorrow, tomorrow will come"....anon

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Ain't no devil, just god when he's drunk

~Tom Waits~

sláinte

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
" I hereby declare shenanigans!" ~Kyle, South Park~

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join