It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most profound quotation you have read or heard?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" -- Benjamin Franklin

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday!
think I saw it in a film

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
"Let teachers and priests and philosophers brood over questions of reality and illusion. I know this: if life is illusion, then I am no less an illusion, and being thus, the illusion is real to me. I live, I burn with life, I love, I slay, and am content."
-Conan the Barbarian

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Hi and great thread. I have 2 favorites.
"I love those who can smile in trouble, who can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink, but they whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves their conduct, will pursue their principles unto death."- Leonardo da Vinci

"Faith is taking the first step when,even when you don't see the whole staircase"-Martin Luther King Jr.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   
The world is like a ride at an amusement park. It goes up and down and round and round. It has thrills and chills and it's very brightly coloured and it's very loud and it's fun, for a while. Some people have been on the ride for a long time, and they begin to question: Is this real, or is this just a ride? And other people have remembered, and they come back to us, they say, "Hey - don't worry, don't be afraid, ever, because, this is just a ride ..." And we ... kill those people. Ha ha, "Shut him up. We have a lot invested in this ride. Shut him up. Look at my furrows of worry. Look at my big bank account and my family. This just has to be real." It's just a ride. But we always kill those good guys who try and tell us that, you ever notice that? And let the demons run amok. Jesus murdered; Martin Luther King murdered; Malcolm X murdered; Gandhi murdered; John Lennon murdered; Reagan ... wounded. But it doesn't matter because: It's just a ride. And we can change it anytime we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money. A choice, right now, between fear and love.

The eyes of fear want you to put bigger locks on your doors, buy guns, close yourself off. The eyes of love, instead, see all of us as one. Here's what we can do to change the world, right now, to a better ride. Take all that money that we spend on weapons and defenses each year and instead spend it feeding and clothing and educating the poor of the world, which it would many times over, not one human being excluded, and we could explore space, together, both inner and outer, forever, in peace. Thank you very much, you've been great.

Bill Hicks

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
"I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by me." the words of Jesus Christ, recorded by John the Apostle, John 14:6

"Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.” the words of Peter the Apostle, speaking of the name of Jesus Christ, Acts 4:12

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
oops. double post.

[edit on 12/5/09 by TrailGator]

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Time had to have had a beginning. If time went infinitely back into the past, then it would take an infinite amount of time to get to the point where we are now. Clearly that is impossible, because we are here now. Thus, there had to have been a beginning of time.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I absolutely love reading quotes. Here are some favorites.

In life we all have an unspeakable secret, an irreversible regret, an unreachable dream and an unforgettable love. ~Diego Marchi

After all is said and done, a lot more will have been said than done.

Would that there were an award for people who come to understand the concept of enough. Good enough. Successful enough. Thin enough. Rich enough. Socially responsible enough. When you have self-respect, you have enough. ~Gail Sheehy

Be patient toward all that is unsolved in your heart and try to love the questions themselves like locked rooms and like books that are written in a very foreign tongue. Do not now seek the answers, which cannot be given you because you would not be able to live them. And the point is, to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps you will find them gradually, without noticing it, and live along some distant day into the answer.

And here is one I actually made up one day:

"Everyday you wake up.
Celebarate a new day of living.
A new day to hope.
A new day to dream.
A new day to wonder.
A new day to overcome.
A new day to learn.
A new day to question.
A new day to open your heart.
A new day to make a new start.
A new day for the possibilty of sorrow.
But most of all, a new day to hope for a new day tomorrow."

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
My fav is from Hamlet...

"and this above all else, to thine own self be true"

words of wisdom.

and my other favorite from the crow

"mother is the word for god on the lips of all children"

[edit on 12-5-2009 by severdsoul]

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
This quote is about chess, but because chess is much like life itself it is also sound "hidden" advice. The statement suggests that there are always options to the obvious problems and that money doesn't rule those people with a code. Most people will solve a problem by throwing money at it, or trying to get more money, or in association with money somehow. Money is great, but there is sometimes MORE wisdom that comes from not having it. Money rules the person who has it not the other way around. Here is my favorite quote:

“I'm not a materialistic person, in that, I don't suffer the lack or loss of money. The absence of worldly goods I don't look back on. For Chess is a way I can be as materialistic as I want without having to sell my soul” -(Jamie Walter Adams)

[edit on 12-5-2009 by sinister_scarecrow]

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Lobsang Rampa:

"Time is the most valuable thing a person can spend"

"If people don’t wish to believe, it doesn’t matter how much proof is offered"

"The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials"

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
1st one is -

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams

Willy Wonka

and

2nd

Today was a good day - Ice Cube

3rd

We both met through a shared view, she loved me and I did too - Mike Skinner

May not seem the greatest to some people but create a great sense of wonderment of why they were said and in what context. Love 'em!

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it." -Ayn Rand

“The purpose of life is a life of purpose.” -Robert Byrne

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." -Chinese Proverb

"To sense that behind anything that can be experienced there is a something that our mind cannot grasp and whose beauty and sublimity reaches us only indirectly and as a feeble reflection, this is religiousness." -Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a weird human being. It's just that some people require more understanding than others." -Tom Robbins

"The bird struggles out of the egg. The egg is the world. Whoever wants to be born, must first destroy a world. The bird flies to God. That God's name is Abraxas." -Hermann Hesse

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn 'em all away. But they're not punishing you. They're freeing your soul. If you're frightened of dying and holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the Earth." -Meister Eckhart

"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security" -Benjamin Franklin

"There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt." - John Adams

"Only the gentle are ever really strong" -James Dean

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"People will do anything, no matter how absurd, in order to avoid facing their own soul." -Carl Jung

and my favorite

"Wealth is the product of a person's capacity to think." -Francisco d'Anconia

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you."
---Oscar Wilde

It's a toss up, don't make me choose! Please don't make me choose!

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value."
-- Albert Einstein, scientist

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
if everyone wants to be together, why so many left alone?

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   
"Oh the safety catch!"

Kurt Cobain

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
"Don't do your best, do the best" - Me!

The point of the quote is that you can always get/do better than your previous.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
"never take away someones' hope, for some people, that's all they have".

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
"It is best not to rise the ire of a woman for one must sleep sometime... with both eyes closed." old Chinese proverb

"I didn't do it and I won't do it again." from an old friend of mine

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join