It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most profound quotation you have read or heard?

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 06:28 AM
link   
"If at first you don't succeed, keep sucking til you do suck seed."- Curly Howard

And 2 from Charles Fort:

"One measures a circle beginning anywhere"

-and-

"I can conceive of nothing, in religion, science or philosophy, that is more than the proper thing to wear, for a while."

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   
WE ARE RICH IN PROPORTION TO THAT WHICH WE CAN DO WITHOUT ?

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   
'In the kingdom of the blind the one eyed man is king'

That one must of bee mentioned before but darned if I'm going through 19 pages to check!

'Life is a sexually transmitted disease.'

'We are inclined to believe those whom we do not know because they have never deceived us.'

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   
THERE'S NO TIME LIKE THE PRESENT ? love is a choice ? TO THINE OWN SELF BE TRUE...William Shakespeare . You'll know a tree by it's fruit ; Jesus

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   
"In the beginning was The Word, and The Word was with God, and the Word was God." - Start of the Gospel of John. It's absolutely amazing.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
'Well we're boned!'

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ba26f3bf9e8e.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
"God is dead" ~ Nietzche

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
It only ends once; anything that happens before that is just progress.
--Jacob

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."

Galileo Galilei

So true for me. I don't see God giving us open-mindedness and intellect and then punshing us for using it.

Just my 2 cents.

[edit on 18-5-2009 by BIG MOONIE FRESH]

[edit on 18-5-2009 by BIG MOONIE FRESH]

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   
"When you go home, tell them of us and say, for your tomorrow, we gave our today,"

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Albert Einstein

The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one.
Albert Einstein

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Hunter S. Thompson

If I'd written all the truth I knew for the past ten years, about 600 people - including me - would be rotting in prison cells from Rio to Seattle today. Absolute truth is a very rare and dangerous commodity in the context of professional journalism.
Hunter S. Thompson

Is there life before death?
Graffito

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
Ace Rimmer.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Footprints in history aren't made sitting down.

by...?

Peace

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Welfhard

Originally posted by Dramey
Messenger Boy: Are the stories true? They say your mother was an immortal godess. They say you can't be killed.
Achilles: I wouldn't be bothering with the shield then, would I?
Messenger Boy: The Thesselonian you're fighting... he's the biggest man i've ever seen. I wouldn't want to fight him.
Achilles: Thats why no-one will remember your name.

To which I would say:
"Why would I want people to remember my name? I'd settle with being alive."

to which i would say...
You are not remembered by what is engraved on stone monuments....but by what is woven into the hearts of others ~Pericles~

also my m8 Reggie once said.....some people need to learn to learn.

i liked that.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Heratix

Originally posted by Welfhard

Originally posted by Dramey
Messenger Boy: Are the stories true? They say your mother was an immortal godess. They say you can't be killed.
Achilles: I wouldn't be bothering with the shield then, would I?
Messenger Boy: The Thesselonian you're fighting... he's the biggest man i've ever seen. I wouldn't want to fight him.
Achilles: Thats why no-one will remember your name.

To which I would say:
"Why would I want people to remember my name? I'd settle with being alive."

to which i would say...
You are not remembered by what is engraved on stone monuments....but by what is woven into the hearts of others ~Pericles~

To which I'd still say:
"Why would I want people to remember me?"

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Because its the way to immortality.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   
"How do you know? Are you an expert?" - myself.

The quotation in itself is not profound. The effect it has on people is what is profound.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Heratix
Because its the way to immortality.

My character being alive while I am still dead is hardly immortality.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 07:57 PM
link   
From the Gospels of Thomas that are called "the Secret Sayings" of Jesus...

'These are the secret sayings which the living Jesus spoke
and which Didymos Judas Thomas wrote down"

1. And He said, "Whoever finds the interpretation of these sayings will not experience death."

2. Jesus said, "Let him who seeks continue seeking until he finds. When he finds, he will become troubled. When he becomes troubled, he will be astonished, and he will rule over the All."

The other 112 sayings of Jesus are also 'enlightening' and available here...

**Added** By the way, Didymos means twin... Jesus's twin brother, and the Gospel of Thomas is also called the "Q" document. Just mentioning...

Rgds

[edit on 18-5-2009 by AllTiedTogether]

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Enigma:

Man is the dream of the dolphin ...

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Grumble

The Knee of Listening by Adi Da is the greatest spiritual book ever written.
www.beezone.com...

In it Adi Da explains that what you believe is your sense of perception is not true perception at all but what he calls,"The avoidance of relationship."In other words you are separating yourself from yourself as the Divine and creating the illusion of the Ego self.

Adi Da gave the world the Greatest Mantra:Simply Enquire,

"Avoiding being already entirely in relationship." or

"Avoiding Relationship." There is no you in this enquiry.

Thus this above quote is the most profound quote in Reality. This Radical Understanding is God. It is the action of God. It is what God does. God Enquires. God is the Supreme Meditator.

Adi Da:
"I saw that understanding was itself motiveless. But everything else was in fact the avoidance of relationship, and this was their very motivation! Thus, the longer a man lives, the more complicated, contradictory and suffering life appears."

"I saw that men could easily be turned to self observation. And the process of observation could easily be maintained by proper guidance or "hearing." And that process of observing gradually saw the emergence of fundamental insight. Men could understand the radical nature of seeking, the adventure of Narcissus, the whole complex life of the avoidance of relationship. And when understanding arouse, men could easily apply understanding to moment to moment experience. The understanding became the approach to life, rather than all the automatic, confused activities of seeking, the drama of Narcissus. In that case, understanding became enquiry in the form of understanding itself: "Avoiding relationship?" And the abiding in relationship with the use of enquiry became the fundamental activity of conscious life moment to moment or in special periods of enquiry which might be called "meditation."

"Those who pursue this very perception as an exclusive goal call it "enlightenment" or "Self-realization," a kind of once and for all attainment. In fact it is only the natural perception of super-consciousness. If a man has manipulated himself in dilemma to the point of temporary abandonment of the "lower" life and even the living mind, he will feel he has attained reality and so await the dissolution of his personal existence at death. But the man who understands does not abandon understanding or life. He has no motive for doing so. He will not be troubled by the return to mental life and human existence. He simply understands that he has begun to include an even higher center and source of true being in life.

In any case, whatever arises in meditation, you should abide in understanding and simply enquire. In time the movement of consciousness will not even tend to the point of super-consciousness above. The enquiry will become radical knowledge prior to every kind of activity and perception. Then you will find that understanding even ceases to function as a mental activity. It will have become radically concentrated in that to which the enquiry always leads. That silence, incomparable depth and formless object of contemplation will become utterly absorbing. Then, suddenly, you may find that you are seated in the heart (God Realization). All the movements of consciousness, on every level, will have fallen away, and you will remain tacitly aware as no-seeking in the heart, to the right side of the chest. You will possess unqualified knowledge of Reality and enjoy untouchable bliss. And it will be the same bliss you know as understanding."

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join