It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most profound quotation you have read or heard?

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 03:00 AM
link   
I can't really even pick just one quote, and this may sound strange but my favs are so personal, so close to me, that I really don't want to reveal THAT part of my self on here, aha i know weird right?

Anyway thanks so much for making this thread , so great to read through!

S&F.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 03:01 AM
link   
"Now and then, I announce 'I know you're listening' to empty rooms. If I'm wrong, no one knows. And if I'm right, maybe I just freaked the h*ll out of some some secret organization." - xkcd.com

"Alcohol, the cause of, and solution to all of life's problems." - Homer Simpson

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 03:12 AM
link   
No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn.
William Blake

Somehow we must be able to stand up before our most bitter opponents and say: "We shall match your capacity to inflict suffering by our capacity to endure suffering. We will meet your physical force with soul force. Do to us what you will and we will still love you... but be assured that we'll wear you down by our capacity to suffer, and one day we will win our freedom. We will so appeal to your heart and conscience that we will win you in the process, and our victory will be a double.
Martin Luther King Jr.

[edit on 13/5/09 by pretty_vacant]

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 04:08 AM
link   
"We can never escape our freedom of choice"

"In the end we will all be together again"

"Deja Vu is remembering eternity"

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 05:02 AM
link   
We;re not here to arrest you,,we just want to ask you a few questions.

come clean,,we'll see about cutting a deal with the DA

all right!!!,,which one of you put the raisen's in my shorts!

if I want to get high I'll hold my breath,

Im in a real pickle now!!!

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 05:16 AM
link   
"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

-Jiddu Krishnamurti

definitly something to consider.

[edit on 5/13/2009 by JPhish]

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by coven
To be honest I didn't even look to see if someone posted it... BUT...

Next time a drunken brawl breaks out start telling the brawlers this...

“Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. now, heres Tom with the Weather."
— Comedian : Bill Hicks

Hopefully the mods understand the Acid part isn't so necessary, especially considering the philosophy that was spit out after dropping such a fowl fowl word in a joke...

Ahh you beat me to it- it is such a fantastic quote with such a depth yet funny as hell.

Ill add another quote i heard from a comedian who is very reminiscent of Bill Hicks (yes i know its probably from a bible quote)

Judge not, lest ye be judged my friend;
Doug Stanhope

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 05:29 AM
link   
I can't find the exact quote, but remember the meaning well enough to give an equivalent.

This was probably the only real thing I learned from looking over the general psychology book while in college.

--People don't see the world as it is, they see it as they are--

reply to post by JPhish

This one is high on my list!

Star for you..

[edit on 13-5-2009 by unityemissions]

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Text[
font=Century Gothic]Text[/font]
beware of cooing doves because behind lies the striking viper

[edit on 13-5-2009 by foxhoundone]

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 05:45 AM
link   
"He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes; he who does not ask a question remains a fool forever." (Chinese Proverb)

"I believe in the brotherhood of man, all men, but I don't believe in brotherhood with anybody who doesn't want brotherhood with me. I believe in treating people right, but I'm not going to waste my time trying to treat somebody right who doesn't know how to return the treatment." - Malcolm X

"Making war upon insurgents is messy and slow, like eating soup with a knife" – T.E. Lawrence

“I've got to go to meet God - and explain all those men I killed at Alamein.”
Field Marshall Viscount Montgomery in 1976.

"They wrote in the old days that it is sweet and fitting to die for one's country. But in modern war, there is nothing sweet nor fitting in your dying. You will die like a dog for no good reason."
—Ernest Hemingway (attributed)

“Think of the press as a great keyboard on which the government can play” – Joseph Goebbels

“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.” – Albert Einstein

“If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.” – James Madison

“America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” – Abraham Lincoln

“You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately... Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!” – Oliver Cromwell

“The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people.” – Martin Luther King

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 05:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Grumble

"The one eyed Dwarf is King in the land of the blind!" anon

"If you scratch dirt with the Turkeys, you will never soar with the Eagles" anon

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rocketgirl
"Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things… and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney

When I first read this quote it made me cry, because one should never dwell on what's already happened.

Those who do not know history are destined to repeat it.

Looking only forward might seem like a great idea until your killed and eaten by the hungry tiger stalking you from behind.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 06:53 AM
link   
It is better to be hated for what you are than loved for what you are not. ~ Kurt Cobain

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 06:59 AM
link   
"Sepa la bola"
anon

Translates from Spanish into too many words...only the ball knows where it will land,
so toss the ball.

Peace...

CX

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 07:04 AM
link   
"Most peoples lives are a direct reflection, of the expectations, of thier peer group".

Anthony Robbins.

CX.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 07:13 AM
link   
"If you can't love someone, get the hell out of the way and let them find someone who can love them"
Rebecca Kokyan (an old friend of mine)

and...

"There are very few problems in this world that can't be solved by the application of high explosives"
not sure where this one came from, but it stuck with me as its perfectly true

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Daniel666
"The one eyed Dwarf is King in the land of the blind!" anon

"In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is a freak"
(a quote from my sister, backed by "The country of the blind", by H.G. Wells)

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by checkers
My friend's favorite:

"I am the punishment of God...If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.”

Genghis Khan

[edit on 12-5-2009 by checkers]

Now that is just bad ass. Sounds like a movie quote almost.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 08:25 AM
link   
"It's being here now that's important. There's no past and there's no future. Time is a very misleading thing. All there is ever, is the now. We can gain experience from the past, but we can't relive it; and we can hope for the future, but we don't know if there is one."
George Harrison

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Here are two more

"When I was your age, I was 12" My Dad. That was a tough one to grow up with. I say it to my son now, he's 7, and I just love the look on his face!

"Say what you mean, mean what you say, don't say it mean." My sister via one of her many 12 step programs.

Guess I have a thing for twelves...........

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join