It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

did any one see - awesome meteorite/fireball 10 mins ago

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by AGENT_T
reply to post by cautiouslypessimistic

No one is 'ignoring' the suggestion.

It's just that.. well.. the UK is quite a way away from America funnily enough..

From the launches,I believe the shuttle is still in TV camera range when they're dropped..That would have to be some zoom lens from 2-3,000 miles visibility wouldn't it?

I didnt mean to imply it was being ignored maliciously.

Again, you have to consider the earth is a sphere, meaning you see things magnified, and often witness optical illusions when looking into the sky.

When a shuttle pushed through the atmosphere, is does look like a fire ball. A fireball that high in the sky would be visible from a lot of places.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   

i get what your saying.. but in this case, it is very clear, if i or anyone seen a booster burning up, to the east (heading north), from a location on the british west coast, then its deffinitelly missed its target! i very much doubt we woudl be able to see it that clear and close with the naked eye if it was over the pacific ... and well, it was in the east, from where i am the atlantic is to the west, after the irish sea and ireland.

EDIT: i really dont think its a rocket or anything mental, its just a big assed rock.

[edit on 11-5-2009 by boaby_phet]

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Hi,
The OP is in the UK, most likely more debris from the collided
satellites.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   

No problem,sorry for being a bit 'sarky'.

I was busy looking up some info..

www.space.com...
Actually on the pic trajectory on this link (first pic )is ...

Dum dum dummmm..
.... NE.. which matches up with the line between Blackpool and Newcastle.

But it says the boosters would only be visible on a 520 mile radius from Kennedy S.S.

It is a very real possibility of 'overshooting'.

the huge, orange, external tank (ET) is jettisoned over the Atlantic at a point about 870 statute miles uprange (to the northeast) of Cape Canaveral and some 430 statute miles southeast of New York City

Norway better be wearing hats if it misses the North Sea too.

Edit coz I forgot what the 'beach' 3 miles away was called

[edit on 11-5-2009 by AGENT_T]

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Don't know if it's related, but fighter jets were screamin' off the runway from 6:30pm to 10:30pm in Boise, Idaho, USA. It was very odd and I'd never seen it before because it was from our civilian airport. At least 5-8 jets took off over 4 hours, we were partying so I wasn't sure of the count.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by cautiouslypessimistic

Originally posted by AlienChaser
Could it have been the rocket booster engines from the shuttle falling back to earth?

That was my contention....however, even though this is the occam's razor answer, it is being ignored.

Sorry but I think you are misunderstanding Occum's Razor as so many do. It requires that you make the least amount of assumptions as possible. Your contention is itself an assumption.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by sharps

Originally posted by cautiouslypessimistic

Originally posted by AlienChaser
Could it have been the rocket booster engines from the shuttle falling back to earth?

That was my contention....however, even though this is the occam's razor answer, it is being ignored.

Sorry but I think you are misunderstanding Occum's Razor as so many do. It requires that you make the least amount of assumptions as possible. Your contention is itself an assumption.

Yes, the least amount of assumption. What is assuming more, that it is an object WE KNOW WAS ALREADY IN THE SKY, or that it was some random rock falling?

I know what occam's razor is, thanks.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Might as well tie scobro's post in here too. It's a TV report of something that appeared over Scotland at about the same time as these incidence.

Maybe they'll all get merged!!

-m0r

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by m0r1arty

I had a look at the video,
It didn't match anything similar to 'wot I saw'

I can see approx 25 degrees of the sky from this position in the room,
Close to the window? almost 150 degrees of the sky NE to NW (I used a compass. .window faces East).

The lights of very high luminosity cleared those 25 degrees(N.Eastish) in under a second,giving the illusion of a fast moving,low plane...but no noise..

Upon reaching the window I observed the continuation of a single light for another 50 degrees of the sky,which took around another second..

So if I had seen it for the travel of the visible sky (ie been outside) I would reckon on clearing horizon to other horizon in around 5 seconds

(Compleeeete guesstimate)

I observe plenty 'shooting stars' with driving frequent,long distances at night.
They usually cover only 20 degrees of the sky total..at a much faster rate..a fraction of a second usually.

I am quite open to the fact this could have been fragments of
a slowish meteorite
bits of collided satellite burning up
space shuttle passing (it was travelling NE at that time apparently) dumping main booster..matching second light(burnup?)

It definitely wasn't...

A,swamp gas
B,chinese lanterns
C,bigfoot
D,my fairy godmother
E,My vista pc getting thrown out the window because I STILL cant get it to network with my XP one.

Hope this helps clarify a bit

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 02:39 AM
link   
yes! I saw this at 11.20 pm last night (12.5.09) in Yorkshire. It was very very bright, Ive never seen anything so bright as this and it had a green glow to it. It was lower than the satellites that pass over and much bigger. Ive sent the report off to a UK sightings web site and have yet to hear back, they said 24 hrs for replies to what it may or may not have been.

I have no idea what it was but the green glow reminded me of those chemical reactions you do in Chemisty at school, I think it may have been burning up or something but it was moving in a straight line, it wasnt crashing down to Earth like meteorites do.

Fantastic to watch it what ever it was.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Green

hello and cool, i never thought about a sightings report.

the way it was traveling from where i seen it, it was deffinitely heading north and slightly east , but im second guessing myself now, as after some though, i dont know if it was going down, or going round the curvature of the earth .

it was alot lower than how iss would appear, and in the complete wrong position/direction and speed.

i done some reaserch , loads of old type crazt talk about green fireballs, but of the sencible stuff, i believe the green indicated copper being burned up... i could be very wrong though.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by boaby_phet

yes I think copper burns green. Ive seen falling stars and things burn up as they enter the atmosphere and this wasnt like that at all. It seemed to be moving at the same speed across the sky. It had no flames and just seem to have a green glow around it. The object itself was the brightest white Ive seen in a moving object.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Green

i have to say, that is exactly exactly what i seen.

ive seen loads of small meteorites and whatever burning up in the atmosphere before but this was nothing like it, normaly its a flash and its gone, this was in full view for the whole time, exact same description as yours, brightest white with the green glow on the actual object.

pretty amazing if it is the same one, thats a dam lof of ground it covered !

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
This is the site I reported it to.

www.beamsinvestigations.org.uk...

Ive checked the web but nothing seems to have come up, maybe it was part of the space shuttles rockets?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join