It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Actual U.S. Unemployment: 15.8%

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   

This morning's news that U.S. unemployment has hit 13.7 million, pushing the rate to 8.9 percent, tells only half the story of this recession. The total number of Americans who are not working full-time but ought to be is actually about 22 million, or 15.8 percent, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Who are those other 8.3 million Americans? Call them the unofficially unemployed. As The Ticker points out each time the Bureau releases the monthly unemployment figure, it does not include many out-of-work Americans. There are many reasons for this. The bureau, which is under the Labor Department, cannot use unemployment compensation records to count the out-of-work, because they are not reliable or up-to-date enough. The bureau also cannot count every out-of-work person.

voices.washingtonpost.com...

Well, as many of us know...the unemployment rate is much higher than what we've been getting out of the MSM.

I know many people that have lost their jobs...and many who are very concerned about losing them as their workplaces are coming to a crawl.

This isn't a surprise....just like the banks making a profit after getting TAXPAYER MONEY isn't a surprise...it's a LIE.

Misdirection..misinterpretation....misleading BS.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

If you take the unemployment state by state the numbers will make anybody cringe, but is better to come out with an overall figure that will made the government numbers look more attractive.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I wonder what the welfare statistics are?

To try and grasp the concept, if unemployement is drastically high, i'd assume by now, welfare would be high too?

Edit to add: Welfare is actually at a 40 year low, although California has some 1.3mil people on welfare, and well over 2.0million on food stamps, which dwarfs any other state.

www.nytimes.com...

[edit on 11-5-2009 by Republican08]

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Great post. I've been "feeling" (femalespeak for thinking) the same thing but don't expect the kind of numbers I believe to be accurate will be admitted officially. 15% is still lower than the number I had been thinking of as being closer to the reality of the total unemployment percentage.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

If you included welfare....the numbers would be staggering....my guess anyway.

Medicare is in the red 34 trillion dollars....which is really a welfare program.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   
With that said, a small portion of the unemployed, seem to be getting help and or assistance, whilst the rest, seem to be doing nothing.

No revenue for themselves, which I would have to assume will hit the economy with a flaberghasting unparamounted blow, when all their money "Runs Out".

I'd say its like if you've ever been cut, for a moment you don't bleed you don't feel it, then after a few moments the seering pain comes, and your bleeding!

Well we know we've been cut, but theres no blood, a gaping wound. It's that moment of recognition, that's going to be awful!

Dow down 150, but overall doing well.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Welfare is actually at a 40 year low, although California has some 1.3mil people on welfare, and well over 2.0million on food stamps, which dwarfs any other state.

Don't forget the WIC program that many new parents enroll in to save money on baby formula.

Tons of programs out there that could be considered welfare really...just depends how you look at it.

Many people who take from these programs could probably make it without using it...but it's there...so they take it.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176

If you included welfare....the numbers would be staggering....my guess anyway.

Medicare is in the red 34 trillion dollars....which is really a welfare program.

34 Trillion Dollars! Lord F-in Krishna, thats insane! I'd like to see Glen Beck try to put that into perspective!

Someone is going to want there money back, and I hope to god its not Huggy Bear.

[edit on 11-5-2009 by Republican08]

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Yeah, i know they have to be nasty. Michigan was over 12 percent last I heard, which was still the highest in the country. I"m not sure what it is now...and that's MODEST numbers..and by no way really accurate. Michigan is probably near 20 percent...mostly because of Detroit and the auto companies which inflates the numbers a bit. It's been bad up here for a long time..even before the bailouts.

I'm still working...I've been lucky so far...we keep getting just enough work to get by. Hope it stays that way.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Ha...yeah.

YOu and I...unless we are somehow injured and are able to draw medicare...will mostly likely never get any of the money we paid into it.

JUST LIKE Social Security.

This generation (mine), and all those behind us are getting royally screwed.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08
To try and grasp the concept, if unemployement is drastically high, i'd assume by now, welfare would be high too?

Not everyone finds it morally a-okay to do the welfare thang, many I hope believe it's NOT right to TAKE involuntarily from one to give to another. And, many unemployed will simply not qualify for welfare because of their assets (house, car, retire savings, all that JUNK they have adorned their homes with which could be sold instead of living off a neighbor). I doubt there will be any direct correlation between unemployment and welfare rolls. Even though one might consider themselves unemployed and be counted among the unemployed because they do not have a full time job, many unemployed can still bring in money working for themselves (they might be fixing cars in their home garage, they might go around mowing yards, they might be growing weed in their basement). Unemployed doesn't mean destitute and welfare, it just means you might have to become self-employed for a while until things get better.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Is about to get worst as GM will be falling for bankruptcy by June 1 and they are actually leaving the state and go oversea.

That is the latest on GM and Michigan.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   

He hit the nail on the head in that, its about mismanaging your money, the gov't does it, and we're all upheaved about that, but even in american homes their mismanaging their money.

Medicine= Expensive as all hell, but theres little we can do about that, if you've worked long enough and put aside 10 out of your paycheck every two weeks, in about 50 years you'd have 13,000 dollars saved up, and thats just mattres talk, not into a compounding interest account!

That's only ten dollars 260 a year. It adds up.

But its the need for now I want it now, and i'll borrow from my future to pay it off, then you get to your future and don't have the money, so you borrow some more, then you're eventually borrowing from your future.

Now their borrowing from my future, and i'm college, and my kids, kids are being borrowed from...

Then the Adminstration, say hey guys it's ok.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Yeah i've heard about that. Detroit is going to be a wasteland...if it's not already.

Unfortunately that effects the rest of the state..and others. Part suppliers are going to get killed....they already are.

It all sucks!

The medical business is the only thing keeping my job alive...and EVEN THAT is slowing down.

You'd think that would be the one thing holding steady..or perhaps even growing...but it's not.

One of my relatives also works in the medical industry...her work is slowing tremendously as well...and many have been layed off.

Not even medical jobs are safe right now.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Divinorumus

All but the latter was of self employed I agree is good.

The innovation, is what can save us. We all have on this site, a SitX Kit. But what happens if a nuke doesn't go off, we just end up like pre nazi germany, were youre burning money for fire, how will you survive. How will you make anything of worth. Trades, thats a good investment, although my field is Theoretical Physics and Business, I should probably pick up a trade to.

Hell of thing to juggle.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   

The problem with medicare is that it raises our costs and insurance rates. With medicare...the government decides how much it will pay..no matter what the bill is...and the hospital or doctor is stuck with the rest of the bill. They lose money.

How do they get that money back? By charging the rest of us more by increases all costs...which in turn also increases our insurance rates.

I'm not completely against medicare..it should be used for those who are hurt and cannot work.....but many draw off of it that could most likely do without it.....including millionares.

Things will get worse obviously as unemployment rates continue to rise. Look for costs to keep going up..way up.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   
The USA wont ever reach hyper-inflation of that pre war germany,thats a silly assessment,it will get bad.But the world was is nothing like that of the late 20's early 30's.The USA currency won't be allowed to fail even if the numbers say it should or should have because other very powerful countries need a strong dollar.Course who knows whats going on in these crazy bankers/politicians minds.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Just like in your video , "I come here almost weekly, or daily, it's our social life coming here, I love it here".

Well that's cute, but it's still a hideous monstrocity!

I'm sure solomons, that China, would be more then willing to turn us into a third world country, and i'm sure Obama, reid, pelosi, aholes, would have their jobs outsourced over into China.

I'd like to see what Stocks Obama, and Pelosi, and the Bushs hold, we all know Pelosi had a ton of stock immediately invested into Oil, right before it hit 4-5 a gallon.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Divinorumus

You're statement of people that can't get help because of assests, is exactly what happened to me. I think that is the biggest crock of !@#$. I finally got the nerve and sucked up my pride to go down and apply for welfare when I lost my job, so I could feed my child, and was told I made too much money on unemployment! and because i had an old 401k. Now I could have cashed that 401 out and lasted 2 extra months, then be right back in line...so I'm sure there are many out there who need the help and can't get it.
I don't think they are reporting the actual unemployment numbers. There are too many to count and keep track off, and some that have fallen off the system, their maximum amount of days on umemployment ran out. I keep wondering when the government is going to create new jobs? Alls I see lately is the government shutting companies down. I work in the Defense Industry, a contractor, and the latest is the government wants to get rid of the contracting, and hold the jobs in house.. this will create 120K jobs, but how many contracting houses will close...
Scary times indeed
Sorry if I ranted and got of topic some, hit a nerve I guess

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

Is about to get worst as GM will be falling for bankruptcy by June 1 and they are actually leaving the state and go oversea.

That is the latest on GM and Michigan.

Good point considering the amount of lost employees both in the Auto industry and the parts suppliers.

Detroit is doomed for disaster, with a trickle down effect throughout the Nation.

I'll miss them but Honda and other foreign cars have a better track record.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join